• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any love for the Valiant reboot?

634 posts in this topic

And ask the average Valiant fan how many copies they are hoarding. It is incredible the photos that get posted on the Valiantfans site. Yet they keep on buying.

So nobody said "super amazing, get-rich-quick, Walking Dead-level rich rich" when it came to these books. But they are books fanatics keep on grabbing.

This provides support for the prices, but from what I have seen a lot of the books sold for more 8 - 10 years ago raw on eBay than they do now. Hopefully the hoards will generate a return for the owners in the end. (thumbs u

- Solar 3: 1st Harada

- Solar 10: 1st Eternal Warrior

- X-O Manowar 4: 1st cameo Jack Boniface

Most of those books can still be had for 50 cents to a dollar.

You are so right about that! (thumbs u

Please go ahead and send me all of your $.50 high-grade examples of these three books. I'll take them since they don't mean much to you two.

;)

And ask the average Valiant fan how many copies they are hoarding. It is incredible the photos that get posted on the Valiantfans site. Yet they keep on buying.

So nobody said "super amazing, get-rich-quick, Walking Dead-level rich rich" when it came to these books. But they are books fanatics keep on grabbing.

This provides support for the prices, but from what I have seen a lot of the books sold for more 8 - 10 years ago raw on eBay than they do now. Hopefully the hoards will generate a return for the owners in the end. (thumbs u

Solar 10 CGC 9.8 goes for $400-$500, where the previous year you could have had this book for $250-$275. I think it really depends on the key book, and what condition it is in.

Solar 10 CGC 9.8 goes for $400-$500, where the previous year you could have had this book for $250-$275. I think it really depends on the key book, and what condition it is in.

I am referring to raw prices. I can remember posting my auction results in a debate with RMA a year or two or so ago when there was an earlier short term spike in interest. The prices now are much lower than the early 00s when everyone was starting to jump back in. (thumbs u

I am referring to raw prices. I can remember posting my auction results in a debate with RMA a year or two or so ago when there was an earlier short term spike in interest. The prices now are much lower than the early 00s when everyone was starting to jump back in. (thumbs u

Actually, last year had a big jump in raw prices which dropped off rather quickly (within 2 months) when X-O Manowar relaunched. There were some board members that posted high-grade raw X-O Manowar #1s and were getting $75-$100 (and more). There were jumps also with other raw keys like Eternal Warrior 4 ($30-$50), Rai 0 ($20-$30), and Harbinger 1 ($60-$75). During the same time, I posted my extra X-O Manowar 1 CGC 9.8 and had no problem landing $150.

But there was such a rush to service those speculation/buying needs, next thing you knew the market was flooded again with inventory. I guess those sales made speculators open up their hoard. But it felt so uncontrolled and unlimited, it may have sent the false message there was an endless supply. Around that time, the prices crashed just as fast.

(thumbs u

Actually, last year had a big jump in raw prices which dropped off rather quickly (within 2 months) when X-O Manowar relaunched. There were some board members that posted high-grade raw X-O Manowar #1s and were getting $75-$100 (and more). There were jumps also with other raw keys like Eternal Warrior 4 ($30-$50), Rai 0 ($20-$30), and Harbinger 1 ($60-$75). During the same time, I posted my extra X-O Manowar 1 CGC 9.8 and had no problem landing $150.

But there was such a rush to service those speculation/buying needs, next thing you knew the market was flooded again with inventory. I guess those sales made speculators open up their hoard. But it felt so uncontrolled and unlimited, it may have sent the false message there was an endless supply. Around that time, the prices crashed just as fast.

(thumbs u

Nice prices. Outside of Harbinger #1 and X-O #1 (more common than the Harby #1) those books are all common and there is pretty much an endless supply of those books due to the hoards with both collectors, and even moreso, LCSs that have storage lockers. The suckers that paid that much for them will be burned in the end.

A couple of years ago I saw a small local dealer bring in a bunch of storage locker stock from a LCS that had one long box full of Rai #0 (plus two each of Valiant Reader and Turok #1) and nice stacks of all of the other just before Unity, Unity and mid run post-Unity books. Unfortunately, all of the early pre-Unity and short print late run issues were gone. The dealer said there were more where those came from as well, which is why I (tsk) buyers of Rai #0 or EW #4 at those prices.

I know you are speaking highly of most Valiant comics. I used to own Harbinger #1 with the coupon and Harbinger #0 the pink copy before it became hotter.

However, I didn't see anything hot ever since Harbinger #1. I know Bloodshot #0 Platinum and Pink (Gold) error variants are extremely rare and expensive. X-O Man #0 variant covers are notably selling well.

Any issues that start at #2 are not that well for selling but it is certainly easy to catch up with all ongoing issues at any titles under Valiant and it gets you to complete your collection quickly.

What are the most important Valiant issues? It started my attention.

There are some later issues in a series that have collectible value.

- Eternal Warrior 4: 1st Bloodshot cameo

- Eternal Warrior 5: 2nd full Bloodshot appearance

- Rai 0: 1st full Bloodshot appearance

- X-O Manowar 19-25: 1st Armorines storyline

- Outcast 1: 1st appearance of The Outcast (sorry - just joking)

And there is so much more.

If you have any of those books I will buy them off you for double your stated price. (thumbs u

If you don't point me in the direction of where your saw them.

I know you are speaking highly of most Valiant comics. I used to own Harbinger #1 with the coupon and Harbinger #0 the pink copy before it became hotter.

However, I didn't see anything hot ever since Harbinger #1. I know Bloodshot #0 Platinum and Pink (Gold) error variants are extremely rare and expensive. X-O Man #0 variant covers are notably selling well.

Any issues that start at #2 are not that well for selling but it is certainly easy to catch up with all ongoing issues at any titles under Valiant and it gets you to complete your collection quickly.

If you have any of those books I will buy them off you for double your stated price. (thumbs u

Hey! I called it first.

:sumo:

:baiting:

Nice prices. Outside of Harbinger #1 and X-O #1 (more common than the Harby #1) those books are all common and there is pretty much an endless supply of those books due to the hoards with both collectors, and even moreso, LCSs that have storage lockers. The suckers that paid that much for them will be burned in the end.

I wouldn't call someone a sucker because they paid a price they were comfortable with at the time. And especially with those that purchased the books because they really like the characters and storylines. It was a personal choice on their part when to jump in.

As far as an endless supply, everything has an end point. Even Spawn 1 and Spider-Man 1, though it would appear as if someone is printing these regularly. It is those high-grade examples of Harbinger 1, X-O Manowar 4, Solar 10 first print and Eternal Warrior 4 that make it worth the purchase. I've seen enough Eternal Warrior 4s with those white edges from the manufacturing process which keeps them from a 9.8 grade. High-grade vs common is where the breaking point comes into play, and how CGC grading helps these books stand out from the pack.

I would but it wouldn't be worth my time to ship a bunch of 50 cent-$1 books...two weeks ago I bought solar 6 and 8 in NM- for a buck a piece. And I was on the fence about it...

And I will gladly post all cheap deals - a few years back on the VF boards of a seller listing Pre-Unities for .99-2.99/each....they ended up selling, but I wasn't the buyer nor was it some of the other hoarders. And they didn't sell nearly as quick as you'd expect.

There's an overwhelming sentiment on the VF boards that everyone wanted to see an increase in price in the books in which they could dump their extras. Releasing the valve at the hoover dam.

I wouldn't call someone a sucker because they paid a price they were comfortable with at the time. And especially with those that purchased the books because they really like the characters and storylines. It was a personal choice on their part when to jump in.

As far as an endless supply, everything has an end point. Even Spawn 1 and Spider-Man 1, though it would appear as if someone is printing these regularly. It is those high-grade examples of Harbinger 1, X-O Manowar 4, Solar 10 first print and Eternal Warrior 4 that make it worth the purchase. I've seen enough Eternal Warrior 4s with those white edges from the manufacturing process which keeps them from a 9.8 grade. High-grade vs common is where the breaking point comes into play, and how CGC grading helps these books stand out from the pack.

True but valuation has to come in at some point. There's a 50+ page thread regarding Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8, in it I'm probably the most critical participant. I was very, very vocal when Harbinger hit those outlier sales above 2k. And there were defenders of price, using that same defense as yours Bosco. I think my argument was less euphemistic, something along the lines of: stupid, retarded, huge waste of money...anyways I could go on.

True but valuation has to come in at some point. There's a 50+ page thread regarding Harbinger 1 CGC 9.8, in it I'm probably the most critical participant. I was very, very vocal when Harbinger hit those outlier sales above 2k. And there were defenders of price, using that same defense as yours Bosco. I think my argument was less euphemistic, something along the lines of: stupid, retarded, huge waste of money...anyways I could go on.

:hi:

:popcorn:

At least it was not as bad as the people that paid top dollar for the first couple of Hulk #181 9.8s....... lol

That being said, when I get a 9.8 of a post 1965 book I tend to flip them even if I really want to keep the book for the simple reason that as supply increases prices tend to drop. The only exception right now is Copper Age since a lot of the books are relatively cheap in 9.8. However, most SA and BA books will see the prices plummet after copies 2, 3, 4 in 9.8 hit so take the money and run.

I know what thread you are talking about. And I understand there are certain price points that may seem excessive.

When one of the highest prices paid occurred ($2,500), there were 3-5 examples at the 9.8 grade. But it was because there are so many Harbinger #1s with spine splits which seem quite common. So common, even today of the 699 examples submitted to CGC, only 18% were able to hit the top grade. Now, this is probably a $275-$400 book if you take the hype out of the buying. It is still a key Valiant, and tougher than most to find in high-grade condition.

Solar 10 first print still seems to be the toughest "common" out there, with only 14% of the total submitted books hitting the 9.8 grade. Even with the Chaos Effect Alpha red cover variant, 50% of the books submitted landed a 9.8 grade.

142498.png.1af26633af8123114afc91a3d6af2093.png

142499.png.3ae8f1b8656c89e5aa317e536cbe0232.png

The CEAR Red 9.8 rate makes sense as by then most dealers/collectors were aware of the value of the premium books and would take care of them accordingly (i.e. don't read and bag/board immediately).

The Solar #10 results are understandable due to the black cover. Over the years I have found most copies to have faint NCB rubs/scratches from stacking or bindery corners on the spine.

What are the numbers for Magnus #12? That book was prone to bindery corner issues as well.

You are so right about that! (thumbs u

Please go ahead and send me all of your $.50 high-grade examples of these three books. I'll take them since they don't mean much to you two.

;)

those really aren't 50 cent/$1 box books. Maybe 10 or 15 years ago. I'm not saying you can't get lucky, I think I got my magnus 12 out of a dollar box (along with a turok 47) within the last 2 years, but i think the shop owner just wasn't paying attention. he would have made the solar 3 and x-o #4 $2-$3.

what do they sell for on ebay? the x-o #4 seems to be a solid $5-$20 book. solar 3, not so much.

i think there's a difference between a book you might luck into in a dollar box and what is typically found there (and doesn't go for much more on ebay, for example)

The CEAR Red 9.8 rate makes sense as by then most dealers/collectors were aware of the value of the premium books and would take care of them accordingly (i.e. don't read and bag/board immediately).

The Solar #10 results are understandable due to the black cover. Over the years I have found most copies to have faint NCB rubs/scratches from stacking or bindery corners on the spine.

What are the numbers for Magnus #12? That book was prone to bindery corner issues as well.

CGC largely ignores the bindery corner issues (the tears at the corners). Magnus 12 is not particularly difficult in grade. They do not ignore spine splits though.

The Harbinger 1 numbers (and solar10) are actually much worse than depicted in the census. The census is devoid of pre-screen reject numbers. There could easily have been double the number of submissions rejected by pre-screen.

Even today H1 a $300-$400 book in 9.8, a borderline sub a 9.6, and a $30 book raw. Pre-screening has always made sense with the H1 spine splits and staple issues. Very few of these were 9.8-worthy right off the printing press.

CGC largely ignores the bindery corner issues (the tears at the corners). Magnus 12 is not particularly difficult in grade. They do not ignore spine splits though.

I have not subbed moderns, but I have noticed they will ding my SA and BA books down to 9.6 if the bindery tears are more than tiny. :frustrated:

WRT Magnus #12, I should have said spine splits instead of bindery corners, but I personally consider them the same when grading books - a tiny split/bindery tear has the same effect on a grade IMHO.