• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay seller fees raised to 10% starting April 16th

26 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but I have been collecting comics since 1989, and I have been selling them on Ebay since 1999. Anyway, you may already be aware that Ebay has changed their final value fee to a flat fee of 10% starting April 16th. The fee we now enjoy I beleive is around 2-3%. When this new fee is compouded with Ebay's other company PayPal, the final value fee will become nearly 13%. This news is not only upsetting but discouraging. I would like to ask that if you feel the same way I do to contact Ebay and demand they re-evaluate their final value fee in the collectible's category. If they don't, well I guess I will go to Comic Link, which only charges a flat 10% fee and does everything else for you.

The current FVF is a flat 9%, and then they get you on the Final Shipping Fee and PayPal transaction.

So Ebay is raising their rates by 1% when it comes to the FVF. Still a bummer as with the other fees included any increase can be an impact.

But at least they added that FSF to protect buyers from shipping overcharges.

:eyeroll:

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, but I have been collecting comics since 1989, and I have been selling them on Ebay since 1999. Anyway, you may already be aware that Ebay has changed their final value fee to a flat fee of 10% starting April 16th. The fee we now enjoy I beleive is around 2-3%. When this new fee is compouded with Ebay's other company PayPal, the final value fee will become nearly 13%. This news is not only upsetting but discouraging. I would like to ask that if you feel the same way I do to contact Ebay and demand they re-evaluate their final value fee in the collectible's category. If they don't, well I guess I will go to Comic Link, which only charges a flat 10% fee and does everything else for you.

The current FVFs are a bit different from what you believe.

For non eBay store owners, the current FVFs are a flat 9% for auctions and a sliding scale for BINs (11% for the first $50, 6% up to $1,000 and then 2% for the rest). They will go up to 10% with the new fee increase.

For eBay store owners, the current FVFs are a sliding scale for auctions (7.5% for the first $50, 4% up to $1,000, 2% after that) and a sliding scale for BINs (11% for the first $50, 6% up to $1,000, 2% after that). They will go up to 9% with the new fee increase.

Non eBay store owners doing auctions are the least affected by this change - they see a 1% increase in fees, but that's it. eBay store owners get it in the shorts, however, and will see a rather large increase on FVFs for higher-price items.

There's been a couple of threads about this already:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6518762&fpart=1

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6558078&fpart=1

The fee we now enjoy I beleive is around 2-3%.

It's not...it's close to 10% already.

I think someone said it is 9%. But I could be wrong because this thread has gotten so long.

:baiting:

136815.jpg.91bf2e0ea3c08fa5f4f791f855ef06ef.jpg

The fee we now enjoy I beleive is around 2-3%.

It's not...it's close to 10% already.

I think someone said it is 9%. But I could be wrong because this thread has gotten so long.

:baiting:

doh!

:foryou:

:roflmao:

Just joking with you.

Ebay fees have gotten out of hand when those Final Shipping Fees went into place. That was a hard one to swallow.

Sellers will be raising the prices of their comics for sale in order to make up for the increased fees. The good news is these price increases will raise the value of all our collections.

Well..... not really. But I like to think that way cause it makes me feel all tingly.

I wonder if this latest price increase will hurt speculators who buy the new Image number ones to flip on Ebay,as right now that has been a bull market, and very profitable for some.

hm

Hi, Thanks for the clarification. That makes me feel a little better. I had thought I had read it was like 2.7% in the Collectibles category, but I may have confused that with PayPal's fees. Anyway, still sucks, particularly the double wammy of Ebay and Paypal. Still have a couple of questions:

1) Is there another better and still just as safe way to receive payment other than Paypal?

2) Would it be worth it to ask Ebay to start charging a buyer's premium to off-set the FVF, like Comic Link does?

Thanks!

Hi, Thanks for the clarification. That makes me feel a little better. I had thought I had read it was like 2.7% in the Collectibles category, but I may have confused that with PayPal's fees. Anyway, still sucks, particularly the double wammy of Ebay and Paypal. Still have a couple of questions:

1) Is there another better and still just as safe way to receive payment other than Paypal?

2) Would it be worth it to ask Ebay to start charging a buyer's premium to off-set the FVF, like Comic Link does?

Thanks!

1) Apart from cash in hand, not really. Money orders can be forged, offer zero protection for the buyer and, technically, you aren't even supposed to ask a buyer to pay that way.

2) Never going to happen.

I have always figured it at 15% and been done with it.

Show me somewhere else that gets the traffic and takes less and all go.

When you find a book for $1 and sell it for $30 sometimes 15% doesnt matter a whole lot.

If you worried about 15% selling a book then you probably shouldnt be selling it because you are not making enough profit.

I have always figured it at 15% and been done with it.

Show me somewhere else that gets the traffic and takes less and all go.

When you find a book for $1 and sell it for $30 sometimes 15% doesnt matter a whole lot.

If you worried about 15% selling a book then you probably shouldnt be selling it because you are not making enough profit.

I agree. In the end, when you tally all the fees tied to auction-style selling, it's around 15% of your final sale. But you do get an incredibly large audience. Unfortunately, you get all the deadbeats, crazies and tricksters that come with such a large bidder pool. So on rare occasions, it can be painful for sellers.

Ebay Customer Support told me about 6 months ago it was okay to accept Money Orders if the buyer requests this method after a sale. Then you just need to mark that a book has been paid for when the MO arrives, which is easy to do. Maybe that is why Ebay still left that function on its site, because you can go there today and still change an item to paid on either end of a transaction.

Interesting. When I went to check Ebay to find out if it still clearly states only PayPal as a method, I landed at this matrix outlining buyer and seller benefits. All most as if they are trying to convince you to use PayPal as the only method.

It does make sense the only form of payment that brings protect is PayPal because it is within the Ebay family and can be easily tracked.

136917.jpg.0d23e1d7f391e0b17b4b5d5eb664bcc3.jpg