• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

We All Complain but...

6 posts in this topic

Or for a moment lets forget about turn around times.

When the greats did the whole community mourns. Most recently Carmine Infantino died. Any comic book news site that is worth anything reported on it. This happened about the same time that Margaret Thatcher and Phil Kaltenbach died. I'm sure you know two out of the three, the third might be less known but no less important especially among the grading community.

Phil was a grader with CGC until passing away in late March, and out of the almost four hundred books I have graded by this company I start to wonder, did any if my books pass through his hands. I read what CGC has written on their main portion of the site but I tend to go straight to the registry and trying to use the chat boards more but felt a moment of silence for someone that loved this hobby so much that I needed to add my thoughts on this.

Although it has been a few weeks since his passing and another week since his memorial service and I might be a but late in saying anything tonight after I write and after I read I shall take a moment and go over my graded collection in a silent reminder that even graders pass.

Thank you Phil, I'm sorry I never met you

Thanks fir Reading

Tnerb

Below is the link to what CGC has written.

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3267&CGC-Loses-Valuable-Team-Member

13430.jpg

See more journals by Tnerb

On top of Infantino, the writer George Gladir who wrote in the Archie comics also passed. While not to big of a fan of the Archie series I do respect the history of it. As with you I did wonder if I payed to get the graders notes if I would see his name pop up on there.

K

That's heavy stuff! You just made me realize how many things in life can be so insignificant compared to the great realities that suddenly wake you up from a stupor.

I had no idea Carmine Infantino passed away on April 4th until you mentioned it. I'm sad about it.

I met him very briefly at NYComicCon where I bought the book The Amazing World of Carmine Infantino which he signed.

I should have thanked him for all the wonderful things he did for the comic medium. AWOCI spells it all out and your eyes will pop-out at just how truly influential he was. I regret not telling him how much he meant to me.

The first comic book that I bought illustrated by Carmine Infantino was Detective Comics 329, which I bought at the Aqueduct Flea Market my Father took me to in the early 80's. I still have it and it's in good shape. The only reason why I snatched it up was because I recognized the cover and story I previously read in a collection of Batman stories appearing in one of those oversized Treasury Editions from the mid-70's. Now that I think of it, my father was the one who introduced me into the world of comics, since he bought me a ton of Treasury Editions from both DC and Marvel. God I wished I still had those.

But anyway... damn I can't believe he died. I really should have said to him how much I love that comic and those brilliant illustrations of Flash he did in the late 50's and 60's. Where would we be today without Carmine Infantino?

Sorry to say... I don't know much about Phil Kaltenbach, but he sounds like a guy I could really relate to... and I bet he was one fascinating guy to hang out with and talk pop culture.

Maybe Carmine and Phil are chatting away right now as we speak with all the other great legends of the field. God Bless Them All!

Hey BB,

That would be awesome!

Infantino's Flash ushered in the Silver Age.

I love the covers DC produced in the early 60's... whether it be Infantino's Flash or Kane's Atom and Green Lantern... it was a period of achievement.

SW3D