• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many CGC slabbed comics do you own?

54 posts in this topic

How many? And how do you store them? I only have 2, but six are in for grading, and a 7th is on Layaway at Metropolis, and I'm eyeing another on Ebay.....Even with the price increase, I'll still submit my high grade Archies...

I have about 20 or so......I kinda went CGC crazy when I first got back into comics, but haven't bought a slabbed book in months (last one was Fury #2, 9.4). I store them in a CGC box I won in a random drawing.

I had orignally planned to slab all my High Grade books, but decided, unless I'm selling them on eBay, what's the point? I like CGC and the service they provide, but I also like to look at the comics I own.

Why collect Steranko books if you can't see the amazing 2-page splashes (if you've ever read X-men #50 or Cap #113 you'll know what I'm talking about) or incredible layouts? Covers are great to look at, but there is even more amazing art contained within. smile.gif

Chris

I think I need one of these CGC boxes... I collect high grade Archie comics both Golden and Silver age and I would like em all slabbed... I know what you mean about looking at them and reading them... For this purpose I also hunt down reader copys and have those out in the open in my 50s room!

Currently about 13, with about 20 on the way- hopefully within the next 2 years I'll have 114 CGC 9.4 or better comics. (107 original Marvel Star Wars, 3 annuals, 4 Return of the Jedi).

Then I gotta start slabing my Dark Horse Star Wars...over 300 of them....thats gonna take some time (and cash).

Quick, Dr. Hammer, give this man the cure - he's got a real bad case of CGC fever!

To a point - probably. For some STRANGE reason I want to complete the entire collection of Star Wars Comics (Marvels original run from 1977 -86 & all the current ones from Dark Horse.) So far I am not doing too bad in that respect...yes they are easy to find, yes they are cheap and yes I know I am losing money by sending them to CGC...

Eventually, I picture my home theater room (don't have one yet) with over 500 CGC graded comics (9.6 or better) displayed -IN Timeline Order- along the walls... each photo variant & each Dynamic Forces variant displayed directly under the original "normal cover" of each comic that has a variant.

Yes this will take quite a bit of time and money to do, but as I have said many times before I am not in this for the investment....I have a picture in my mind of what I want, and now I am starting to go after that - I am a collector, not an investor or a dealer.

If you think this is strange - hell some people collect coins! grin.gif

About fourty-five or so, I have only bought CGC as upgrades, but have a ton of things that I've been holding off on CGC'ing for awhile now, it's so hard dumping a few grand on gradeing fee's when you could just dump that few grand on a nice high grade silver or bronze key from your trusted dealer... But, I'm sure one day, I'll bite the bullet and just go for it.

By the way, hows the packing when you get over a hundred books CGC'd at a time, anyhow? I keep hearing horror stories that they pack poorly(especially in larger quantities and that scares the bejesus out of me.

'best

Bronzejunie

I vote between 50-75, but looking to unload about 10 . . . Right now a lot of the books that I buy on ebay, really all the individual books - I do buy lots, are CGC books. The books that I need to fill holes I will pick up via dealers or through cons. It's come to the point that I only want to grab stuff from people that I trust.

DAM

Ditto...does your ebay stock count? Including what I sell and what I'm keeping - there are about close to 300 laying around on my basement floor.

How do I store them? I don't. I use them as food trays. To kill spiders, ants and flies with. Some of them even out the unbalanced legs of my coffee table. I use my slabs like a clipboard and write/take down messages on 'em. When my dogs are bad, I throw a slabbed book at 'em to get them to stop. sometimes my beagle likes to chew on the corners. They litter the basement/tool room that everytime I'm down there doing a load of wash, I kick a couple around. So they get scratched up, big deal...I scanned them when they weren't scratched fresh out of the CGC box, so if I send em out with gashes, cracks and bug bits, then too bad for the buyer tongue.gif