• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 another series of comic book-based movies

169 posts in this topic

The Wolverine, 2 Guns, Elysium, and Thor: The Dark World updates.

12/26 UPDATE

- Bullet to the Head (2/1/13) : $9,489,829 worldwide as of 3/14 :P

- Oblivion (4/19/13): $286,168,572 as of 6/27 (2.4 X production costs)

- Iron Man 3 (5/3/13): $1,214,583,156 as of 7/11 (6.1 X of production costs)

- Man of Steel (6/14/13):$662,845,518 as of 9/19 (3.0 X of production costs)

- Pacific Rim (7/12/13):$407,454,805 as of 10/2 (2.2 X production costs)

- R.I.P.D. (7/19/13): $73,118,855 as of 9/26 (.56 X production costs)

- Red 2 (8/2/13 7/19/13):$129,104,457 as of 10/2 (1.5 X production costs)

- The Wolverine (7/26/13):$414,828,246 as of 12/5 (3.5 X production costs)

- 2 Guns (8/2/13):$131,940,411 as of 10/24 (2.2 X production costs)

- Elysium (8/9/13): $286,140,700 as of 11/24 (2.5 x production costs)

- Kick-AZZ 2 (8/16/13): $59,556,104 worldwide as of 9/26 (2.1 X production costs)

- Thor: The Dark World (11/8/13): $627,707,000 worldwide as of 12/24 (3.7 x production costs)

Unfortunately, Thor didn't break a billion dollars yet. So it must be a bust. :eyeroll:

2013 was definitely a mix of winners, losers, and WTH candidates.

This is why I don't agree with all these people that keep saying the industry is dying. Each year we see more and more quality movies from comic books. The spotlight has been turned on the industry and the films are hitting it out of the park. And with all the attention on Comic Cons, I only see good things coming.

This is why I don't agree with all these people that keep saying the industry is dying. Each year we see more and more quality movies from comic books. The spotlight has been turned on the industry and the films are hitting it out of the park. And with all the attention on Comic Cons, I only see good things coming.

I'm thinking the same thing. And if these movies succeed, even better for the hobby.

:wishluck:

I'm thinking the same thing. And if these movies succeed, even better for the hobby.

All is already out of the question as Bullet to the Head bombed. I'm hopeful that Man of Steel won't suck.

All is already out of the question as Bullet to the Head bombed. I'm hopeful that Man of Steel won't suck.

They can't all be perfect. But the overwhelming majority of comic book related films and TV have been received very well.

Then there are some that feel like they are comic book influenced, and could encourage more from their genre (Initial release: July 11, 2013).

I have high hopes for this one.

I have a feeling this will be the "Battleship" of 2013.
I hope not.

Del Toro directed Pacific Rim.

That's just a strong industry for the properties in comics, not for comics themselves, but actual comic sales are up something like 12% so that's good too.

Then there are some that feel like they are comic book influenced, and could encourage more from their genre (Initial release: July 11, 2013).

I have high hopes for this one.

I have a feeling this will be the "Battleship" of 2013.
I hope not.

Del Toro directed Pacific Rim.

Yeah, I think we are safe from the soap opera of Battleship. Though it was pretty cool to see Mighty Mo come out fighting against the aliens.

I hadn't heard of this one.

The Seventh Son (Release Date: October 18, 2013)

Cast: Julianne Moore, Ben Barnes, Jeff Bridges, Kit Harington, Olivia Williams, Djimon Hounsou

Supernatural tales may be all the rage in Hollywood these days but it would be a mistake to dismiss The Seventh Son as just another teen fantasy story. A sordid story of witches and ghouls, starring Barnes and Bridges as a pair of warriors out to hunt creatures of the night, the film should provide plenty of exciting visuals and captivating character drama - especially with villainous performances from Julianne Moore and Djimon Hounsou. Bonus points for an appearance by Game of Thrones alumni Kit Harington!

The-Seventh-Son-3.jpg