• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Racist comics

41 posts in this topic

So since I started this thread, I've been flipping through the Gerber books quite a bit, musing over some of the more overtly racist (and sexist) covers. Anyhow, reading this thread has surprisingly spurred my interest in these books. I've been particularly struck with jefferykli's comments about how these covers can be used contextually to demonstrate that we're not all the "evolved" in our thinking in the present day (my wife was floored by that "jap road" example!).

So Heritage was offering a CGC'd fine copy of that Air fighters/rats book. I placed a bid that was under guide and won! (my first heritage auction win btw--I ALWAYS get outbid.) So now I've got my very own racist pop artifact. Who'd have thunk it?

Congrats! As soon as I can free up some money to get back into collecting, those covers will be what I'm looking for. The Air Fighters still just blows me away, but it's a great example of de-humanizing the enemy.

Jeff