• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant > Marvel > DC

88 posts in this topic

Why did they do that. Its not like Valiant owned the characters

Jim Shooter was on the Valiant payroll prior to the relaunch. Part of his job was to develop a plan for Magnus/Solar/Turok because Valiant wanted to acquire the licenses at some point. Dark Horse had not produced any new works for those characters, they had only created reprints of Dell/GoldKey. The right to create new stories was a separate licensing issue. There was also a Valiant plan for not having Magnus/Solar/Turok... both contingencies were in place.

Jim Shooter suddenly quit Valiant and went to work for Dark Horse on new stories for Magnus/Solar/Turok, so Valiant had potentially paid Jim Shooter to create product for Dark Horse. Valiant sued Jim Shooter, in part, to make sure the work he had done at Valiant would not be used at Dark Horse.

The lawsuit was eventually dropped.

Umm!! What you are telling me is that you don't know what he was doing while employed. Hmmm!

I'm not telling you anything. You're a well-established Summer's Eve product.

Okay! I'm out of this thread. Keeping my mouth shut at this point.

Go about your merry discussions.

DG

We'll hold you to it. Post again in this thread and it's doosh-tastic reply time.

Here's a preview:

Nozzleboy.

:popcorn:

I never said "sorry for bringing up the situation."

;)

But this -J character definitely screwed over lots of people, on the forums & IRL. Hopefully he will get his "just desserts" one day.

And no, that is not an implied threat! :P

-slym

:popcorn:

I can't add Image and other companies to the title because they do not have a shared universe like Valiant, Marvel and DC. Valiant is F'in KILLING IT with Harbinger!!!! The hell with speculation. The only thing that the big two has on their side is age and legacy iconic characters (means a lot). If Valiant can keep up this quality there could be trouble ahead. I just don't understand how some people aren't even giving it a shot. I will agree like most that the number of variants is a turn off (just don't by them) but the stories that they are telling is just awesome! This round of Valiant comics puts the original to shame IMO. Sure there are some classic stories but this modernization is just flat out killer. :headbang:

"Modernization" is not the same concept as the fundational concept which was the quintessential quality of the Marvel age, i.e. "continuity". DC has never truly had it, so it’s an entirely different matter as well.

If you are thinking about this on a mere commercial level, I do think that Marvel should have valorized its own strength instead of wasting it. And I am quite convinced Jim Shooter has its share of responsibility in this.

Jim Shooter is an "it" now? This fellow gets no respect.

(::baiting:

While Marvel editor-in-chief in 1982, Shooter detailed what he considered the necessary qualities for a good comic book story:

- The characters must be introduced.

- Their situation must be established.

- The conflict must be introduced.

- Suspense must be built.

- A climax must be reached.

- A resolution must be achieved.

Seems like he was focused more on a solid story than the joining of the Marvel Universe at any point in a story. And as big as Marvel is, I'm okay with this rather than trying to blend everything together.

This FORMER member, let's call him -J, kept the money. He also made friends on the board and met up in person at conventions who were helping him financially with projects he was working on... not knowing that others were doing the same... and he kept all that money too.

Once he was found out... he was kicked off the board.

Man, why is it every time some mess bird gets called out for bein' a mess bird, they always gotta' name him "J" :frustrated:?!!

I'd just like to assure all my fellow VF boardies here (that probably know me better as BloodShot) that that clown is definitely NOT me.

Unless, of course, I've somehow managed to turn myself into a complete POS; which, last time I checked, I haven't :whistle: ...

This FORMER member, let's call him -J, kept the money. He also made friends on the board and met up in person at conventions who were helping him financially with projects he was working on... not knowing that others were doing the same... and he kept all that money too.

Man, why is it every time some mess bird gets called out for bein' a mess bird, they always gotta' name him "J" :frustrated:?!!

I'd just like to assure all my fellow VF boardies here (that probably know me better as BloodShot) that that clown is definitely NOT me.

Unless, of course, I've somehow managed to turn myself into a complete POS; which, last time I checked, I haven't :whistle: ...

I knew it. Jayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

:baiting:

I knew it. Jayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

:baiting:

Thanks, Nicky :/ .

I think it's safe to say I totally expected that from you (: .

I think the BWS part is quite different than the Jim Shooter part...

:(

-slym

Well, in 2012 the new leadership team of Valiant were talking about BWS coming onboard to work on something.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/54379

(March 19, 2012)

And in a "What is he talking about?" moment Simons first states that he couldn't mention the first thing he was most excited about, but the second thing he did mention was Barry Windsor-Smith. "I'm a gigantic Barry Windsor-Smith fan and I love ARCHER & ARMSTRONG. We may have something in the pipeline with them."

If anything ever came of this, I never heard of it as that would have been big news.

I guess now we have our answer.

Barry Windsor-Smith's ETERNAL WARRIOR – Remastered This August

Valiant is proud to announce the upcoming release of Valiant Masters: Eternal Warrior Vol. 1 – The Fist and Steel HC – a new hardcover collection re-presenting the legendary debut of Valiant’s original immortal hero for the first time anywhere! Arriving in stores this August, the latest Valiant Masters volume presents never-before-collected works by Eisner Award-winner Barry Windsor-Smith and many more!

:whee:

hm

:sumo:

Be excited, or turn in your official Valiant Fan card.

How many variants of those cards are there? hm

At least 50... one for each state... because Valiant is the dumbest, money-grubbing, no-original-idea publisher in the business. :frustrated:

Wait... that wasn't Valiant! :kidaround:

hm

:sumo:

Be excited, or turn in your official Valiant Fan card.

How many variants of those cards are there? hm

At least 50... one for each state... because Valiant is the dumbest, money-grubbing, no-original-idea publisher in the business. :frustrated:

Wait... that wasn't Valiant! :kidaround:

lol

Ignore the Valiant attacks. They are just repeats of the same statements.

I guess now we have our answer.

Barry Windsor-Smith's ETERNAL WARRIOR – Remastered This August

Valiant is proud to announce the upcoming release of Valiant Masters: Eternal Warrior Vol. 1 – The Fist and Steel HC – a new hardcover collection re-presenting the legendary debut of Valiant’s original immortal hero for the first time anywhere! Arriving in stores this August, the latest Valiant Masters volume presents never-before-collected works by Eisner Award-winner Barry Windsor-Smith and many more!

:whee:

Oh, hell's yeah :headbang:!!!

I miss the Valiant House Style.
+1. And books that take longer than four minutes to read.

When I recently reread Magnus' "Steel Nation", it took close to half an hour to read issue 1.

I read the preview to the relaunched X-O (and others IIRC) at about 4-5 seconds a page.

I miss the Valiant House Style.
+1. And books that take longer than four minutes to read.

When I recently reread Magnus' "Steel Nation", it took close to half an hour to read issue 1.

I read the preview to the relaunched X-O (and others IIRC) at about 4-5 seconds a page.

Pre-Unity Solar as well - those took some reading!

I don't think the youngsters ever remember having to take longer than 5 minutes to read a comic book. I know that maybe I was spoiled by long-winded Chris Claremont on Uncanny X-Men, but I remember reading Hulk and Spider-Man too, and they took longer than 10 minutes to read, anyway.

:preach:

-slym