• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days -- October 4-6, 2013

55 posts in this topic

Not a ton of GA, but a bit sprinkled around. SA was reasonably well represented, with plenty of keys available. I think I forgot to take any wall pics this time around ( doh! ), but I saw a couple copies each of every Marvel key save for AF #15, ASM #1, Hulk #1, and JIM #83. Saw plenty of Avengers #1-up, Daredevils, and FFs. Some SA DCs too, but as a Marvel guy I paid less attention to them.

I had a great show. I got some cool books, including a DC I've wanted for a long time (there are a few, even for a Marvel zombie) and a couple of great sketches. I'm even coming home with a couple of bucks left, which never hurts. I'll get a report with some pics up in a day or two when I have time.

There where a lot of people charging for raw books at cgc prices. I don't find that great at all. There were maybe 3 vendors giving out deals for SA's. I guess I'm going to buy out some vendors and flip on the boards.

Oh yeah I did get deals on X-MEN 1,4 and 14.

I'm back home after a long day on the road. Will get a report with some pics up in CG, but it may be tomorrow as I'm pretty wiped out. I had a great time and am excited about the stuff I picked up.

There where a lot of people charging for raw books at cgc prices. I don't find that great at all. There were maybe 3 vendors giving out deals for SA's. I guess I'm going to buy out some vendors and flip on the boards.

Yeah, I was set up there as a dealer and it really wasn't the best show from a money standpoint but was still a nice show. No one was looking for Golden-age really, I only sold 2 GA books the entire show and they were the only 2 anyone even asked to look at and I had a great selection; Timelys, Shomburgs, Baker Romance, GGA covers, PCH, PreHero, and so on. No one even asked to see them and most were recent acquisitions.

Every show is different and has good and bad aspects to it.

I also had multiple copies of most SA and BA keys and I did sell quite a few but it seemed most people just wanted to know the price and didn't really care about the grade, just wanted to see if it fit their budget.

I find it interesting that some people only think it is a good show if they can find something to buy cheap and flip for a profit. :baiting: . Nice snag on the XMen, I know where they came from and it hardly makes someone a "good" dealer if they don't really know how to price books.

Funny how I will take the same stock to San Diego or Chicago and will sell 1/2 or 2/3 of it before the show opens .. to other dealers.

I don't really price my books to sell to someone to help them make money; they are priced to sell to collectors at a fair market value. GPA is the same as Overstreet...a Guide.

Not trying to bust your balls here but when you make a blanket statement about people here on the boards who happen to be dealers as well....there were several at the show...then I guess I get a little defensive. There were many dealers there who made a lot of people happy. Just because they don't cater to the buy/flip mentality doesn't mean they aren't good dealers or at a good show.

It was more about buying raw books being sold as 9.8s. It's too much a risk to be shelling out that kind of money.

I mostly flip some books that I know that are in the market now. Most of the ones I did buy up from dealers were for my own collection. Some of the books I won't even profit from but it'll help those like me that have gap in their collection. Thanks to some dealers I have my lesser conditions to flip over.

Then perhaps you shouldn't make a blanket statement about there being only one good dealer at the show.

Just because you bought a book from someone that you can make money on doesn't make them a good dealer and everyone else bad.

I was pretty happy with the show overall. There was more comic dealers than I was expecting, which was nice. Personally, I did not think that anyone was outrageously overpriced. There were some deals to be had for sure, especially early on Friday. Having exhibitor access definitely has its advantages:p

Yeah, I was set up there as a dealer and it really wasn't the best show from a money standpoint but was still a nice show. No one was looking for Golden-age really, I only sold 2 GA books the entire show and they were the only 2 anyone even asked to look at and I had a great selection; Timelys, Shomburgs, Baker Romance, GGA covers, PCH, PreHero, and so on. No one even asked to see them and most were recent acquisitions.

Every show is different and has good and bad aspects to it.

I also had multiple copies of most SA and BA keys and I did sell quite a few but it seemed most people just wanted to know the price and didn't really care about the grade, just wanted to see if it fit their budget.

I find it interesting that some people only think it is a good show if they can find something to buy cheap and flip for a profit. :baiting: . Nice snag on the XMen, I know where they came from and it hardly makes someone a "good" dealer if they don't really know how to price books.

Funny how I will take the same stock to San Diego or Chicago and will sell 1/2 or 2/3 of it before the show opens .. to other dealers.

I don't really price my books to sell to someone to help them make money; they are priced to sell to collectors at a fair market value. GPA is the same as Overstreet...a Guide.

Not trying to bust your balls here but when you make a blanket statement about people here on the boards who happen to be dealers as well....there were several at the show...then I guess I get a little defensive. There were many dealers there who made a lot of people happy. Just because they don't cater to the buy/flip mentality doesn't mean they aren't good dealers or at a good show.

:golfclap:

Just because I couldn't get a deal going on with a dealer doesn't make them appear bad in my eyes.

I just wanted to point out a positive experience i had with one. Not only did i find a book to make money but I did find several to fill and replace in my collection.

Just because I couldn't get a deal going on with a dealer doesn't make them appear bad in my eyes.

I just wanted to point out a positive experience i had with one. Not only did i find a book to make money but I did find several to fill and replace in my collection.

Well....then I guess you should have said that you only made one good deal. Instead....

You said "only one good dealer" . Your words

Perhaps you should choose your words more carefully although based on everything you said I'm pretty sure you meant exactly what you said. Your criticism of raw vs GPA prices and thinking you should buy all the dealers out is pretty telling of your attitude toward the "not good" dealers.

When you make blanket statements like this it is clear that you didn't simply misspeak. There were more than three good dealers there charging good prices for SA books, but apparently just not low enough for you to make a profit. You simply got a lucky break on the X-Mens from the dealer in the corner who didn't know where they should price stuff. Many folks, including me, benefitted from that, but that doesn't make them a good dealer compared to the more knowledgeable folks charging true market prices for books.

I did post a small con report with a few pics if anyone is interested, feel free to add your own thoughts or pics.

Fan Days Report

I wasn't about to pay $20 for an autograph from Adams either. I thought that was way too much for him to charge, and I'm surprised anyone paid it. Last time he did a Dallas show he had two free autographs and anything above that was $5 per, which I thought was quite reasonable. Not sure why he jacked the price so much...