• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ROUND 3 : Contest

79 posts in this topic

Would you be [!@#%^&^] all over this game if you were winning?

Listen, when I joined up for the new Team Game, I assumed it would be based on team-grading, not a single submission. You could have the World's Worst Grader on your team and as you could just laugh and totally ignore the grade, it wouldn't affect your results at all.

Or to put it a different way, you could team FFB and his 3 dogs, Newt and 3 monkeys from the local zoo, or even BILL43 and 3 pet rocks... and they'd still finish at the top.

I could care less if I win or lose, I just think the format sucks.

There's more waffling going on here than at the House of Pancakes.

But come on Div, it's a (cough) "team effort".

I was basing my statement on these two nuggets from you, the brimming Cup O' Joe.

The first comment sounds like a nasty case of Sour Grape Syndrome, but the second one... well, the second one sounds like you hate your team.

Either way, they're both frivolous comments considering this game is FREE and the whole thing is meant to be FUN. Can we stow the flamethowers in the overhead compartment until UV&N Airlines has come to a complete stop at the gate and the captains have turned off the "No Flaming" sign?

(BTW, check out the 3rd "The_MajorKhaos Solo Project"* score. I'm not even entirely sure two of my team members are still alive! Now tell me who's got it worse!)

*That's right. I've commandeered my team. IMPERIOUS REX! sumo.gif

The first comment sounds like a nasty case of Sour Grape Syndrome, but the second one... well, the second one sounds like you hate your team.

Wrong on both counts.

I love team competitions, and I think it's great that Nikos and UV have taken the time to organize another one. I simply thought it would be more team-oriented, while still letting the individuals compete openly.

For example, one time at a company golf tournament, a team took it upon themselves to cheat pretty badly, and basically didn't count two of the scores. Instead of playing fair, and counting these less-than stellar golfers (gals), they simply deleted the poor golf scores and submitted their own average.

Now this wasn't a huge deal (people cheat all the time), but it was quite irksome when they paraded the new set of clubs and other prizes they won. 893frustrated.gif

Wrong on both counts.

I love team competitions, and I think it's great that Nikos and UV have taken the time to organize another one. I simply thought it would be more team-oriented, while still letting the individuals compete openly.

For example, one time at a company golf tournament, a team took it upon themselves to cheat pretty badly, and basically didn't count two of the scores. Instead of playing fair, and counting these less-than stellar golfers (gals), they simply deleted the poor golf scores and submitted their own average.

Now this wasn't a huge deal (people cheat all the time), but it was quite irksome when they paraded the new set of clubs and other prizes they won. 893frustrated.gif

Do you have an example of this happening in this contest now?

Funny you used a golf analogy, 'cause I was thinking of this grading contest as something like Captain's Choice, or best ball-- where each team's best individual performance in each round is the one that is counted for that team.

Of course, the trick is deciding whose idea of the grade is actually the best ball-- but that's where the other objective of the contest comes in, i.e. we talk and get to know our teammates a bit better.

Wrong on both counts.

I listen to all my swift boat guys! thumbsup2.giflaugh.gif

We are running as close to a pure democracy as we can.

We scored two hits with the 9.2s but screwed up the the 7.0 badly.

Everyone overgraded... tongue.gif

Funny you used a golf analogy, 'cause I was thinking of this grading contest as something like Captain's Choice, or best ball-- where each team's best individual performance in each round is the one that is counted for that team.

Not the same thing at all, as a 300 yard drive straight down the fairway, an iron shot 1-inch from the cup, or a long putt straight in, are all measurable, quantitative feats, while guessing a comic grade is not.

Hmmm, should we choose my 300 yard drive in the middle of the fairway or the one Zonker launched into the trees... Hmmmm, I wonder... 27_laughing.gif

Hmmm, should we choose my grade of 9.2 or Zonker's grade of 9.0?

Grading is an art, not a sport. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Wrong on both counts.

Do you have an example of this happening in this contest now?

I'm assuming by your absence of a response here that you are feeling neglected by your teammates.

deathlok-corner.jpg

How the h_ll is this book a 9.2, pray tell? With that one inch color break, how can this book receive any higher than an 8.5 if it were otherwise perfect, and an 8.0 in light of the obvious spine indentation on the back cover? My books sure-as-shootin' don't receive this kind of leeway in Sarasota. 893whatthe.gif

I'm assuming by your absence of a response here that you are feeling neglected by your teammates.

This has nothing to do with my team, and I think banner and co are doing a great job. thumbsup2.gif

I simply expected something different, allowing all players to individually compete, but scoring based on team results.

But what the hey, if Nikos and UV wanted to run a contest based on who had the longest thumbs, that's their choice.. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not the same thing at all, as a 300 yard drive straight down the fairway, an iron shot 1-inch from the cup, or a long putt straight in, are all measurable, quantitative feats, while guessing a comic grade is not.

Hmmm, should we choose my 300 yard drive in the middle of the fairway or the one Zonker launched into the trees... Hmmmm, I wonder... 27_laughing.gif

Hmmm, should we choose my grade of 9.2 or Zonker's grade of 9.0?

Grading is an art, not a sport. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Hey, you're the one who started with the golf analogy! 27_laughing.gif

And that's where the second part of my post comes in, the part you forgot 893naughty-thumb.gif to quote:

Of course, the trick is deciding whose idea of the grade is actually the best ball-- but that's where the other objective of the contest comes in, i.e. we talk and get to know our teammates a bit better.

(BTW, check out the 3rd "The_MajorKhaos Solo Project"* score. I'm not even entirely sure two of my team members are still alive! Now tell me who's got it worse!)

*That's right. I've commandeered my team. IMPERIOUS REX!

7.5? tonofbricks.gif

7.5? tonofbricks.gif

Welcome to UA: Undergraders anonymous

How the h_ll is this book a 9.2, pray tell? With that one inch color break, how can this book receive any higher than an 8.5 if it were otherwise perfect, and an 8.0 in light of the obvious spine indentation on the back cover? My books sure-as-shootin' don't receive this kind of leeway in Sarasota. 893whatthe.gif

Dunno... confused-smiley-013.gif a 1/2 inch spine bend and a chip on the bottom edge? A generous 9.2 to say the least.

I'm starting to think I have a lot more NMs in my collection than I previously thought.

tonofbricks.gif

7.5? tonofbricks.gif

893frustrated.gif

A giant color-breaking mark on the bottom, that gigantic indentation on the back cover, a chip?!!?? What was I to think??