• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Learn More About The First Gay Character In Comics – Archie’s Kevin Keller

34 posts in this topic

Um...don't you mean the first gay character in _Archie_ comics?

Prior ones include Alpha Flight's Northstar, Flash Villain The Pied Piper, and the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

weren't northstar and alan scott revealed to be gay just recently?

"In a 2002 interview with the Traditional Values Coalition's executive director Andrea Sheldon Lafferty about the latest incarnation of the comic book character of the Rawhide Kid who was now homosexual, Stan Lee said, "years ago [a comic book] that I did, Sgt Fury, ...had a gay character.

One member of the platoon was called, I think, Percy Pinkerton. He was gay. We didn't make a big issue of it. In this comic book that I read, the word gay wasn't even used. He's just a colorful character who follows his own different drummer. He follows a different beat. But we're not proselytizing for gayness".

Pinky Pinkerton

Prior ones include Alpha Flight's Northstar, Flash Villain The Pied Piper, and the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott.

Northstar was revealed to be gay long ago

Northstar was revealed to be gay long ago

i see. only person i actually know of the four that were mentioned was pied piper.

Northstar was pretty much created as a gay character as revealed by the creator, though he didn't come out until several years after his first appearance.

"In a 2002 interview with the Traditional Values Coalition's executive director Andrea Sheldon Lafferty about the latest incarnation of the comic book character of the Rawhide Kid who was now homosexual, Stan Lee said, "years ago [a comic book] that I did, Sgt Fury, ...had a gay character.

One member of the platoon was called, I think, Percy Pinkerton. He was gay. We didn't make a big issue of it. In this comic book that I read, the word gay wasn't even used. He's just a colorful character who follows his own different drummer. He follows a different beat. But we're not proselytizing for gayness".

Pinky Pinkerton

Ah, so you're saying that Stan Lee thinks that prissy Brits are gay, got it. hm

Northstar was pretty much created as a gay character as revealed by the creator, though he didn't come out until several years after his first appearance.

Alpha Flight #106

Alpha Flight #106

Danke.

Pinky Pinkerton

I don't think Stan had too much influence in what went into the comics. :gossip:

Pinky Pinkerton

I don't think Stan had too much influence in what went into the comics. :gossip:

In your quote, he takes credit for it. I thought Stan wrote most of the comics in the 60s, at least the stories and the dialogue, although he'd often change any of it whenever the artists made good suggestions. My recollection of what he called the "Marvel Method" was he'd write a rough story outline, let the artists draw and plot it, then go back and write the dialogue in. Sometimes he'd have more than one artist do the story on a new title if he felt like one of them wasn't getting his character ideas right as was the case when he originally had Kirby do the Amazing Fantasy 15 story but didn't like his take on it and asked Ditko to re-do it.

Stan's claim that Percy Pinkerton was intended to be gay is an interesting one. Obviously, he couldn't have an openly gay character in his comics in 1964 when Percy was first introduced. So it would have to be in subtext. And the subtext around Percy is... a little schizophrenic. There are sections in the original series where he talks about chasing women and whatnot. But there are certainly moments where it is implied that he is or may be gay and that those other bits are just him covering himself. Much of that happened after Stan left the book, though, once Gary Friedrich was writing it.

I do think there's enough in the stories to support Stan. But Percy certainly wasn't an openly gay character like some of the others cited, he was closeted for sure. So who was the first openly gay character in mainstream comics (as opposed to underground stuff)? The earliest that comes to mind is Gray Adler, a major supporting character in Mike Grell's Jon Sable: Freelance, who was first introduced in 1984. But there may have been someone earlier.