• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robert Downey Jr. ready to leave the Iron-Man franchise?!

45 posts in this topic

This isn't a criticism, but Robert Downey Junior is playing Robert Downey Junior in the Iron Man films, not Tony Stark. Stark from the comics is a serious guy, so someone like Hamm would be closer to what Stark has always been. Having said that, I prefer Robert Downey Junior just as everybody else does...a more-serious Stark would be hard to take having seen Downey make the guy so likable.

A lot of Jon Hamm fans here I see now.

I wasn't that familiar with him prior to Mad Men, and that is the role I associate him with, so whenever I see him doing something else, it just seems strange to me.

But I agree with FF, I could see him pulling off a more serious Tony Stark.

This isn't a criticism, but Robert Downey Junior is playing Robert Downey Junior in the Iron Man films, not Tony Stark. Stark from the comics is a serious guy, so someone like Hamm would be closer to what Stark has always been. Having said that, I prefer Robert Downey Junior just as everybody else does...a more-serious Stark would be hard to take having seen Downey make the guy so likable.

I wasn't that familiar with him prior to Mad Men, and that is the role I associate him with, so whenever I see him doing something else, it just seems strange to me.

Don Draper and the Tony Stark I've seen are quite similar--they both drink a lot, serious, suave, handsome, wealthy, do well with women, successful, full of guile, enjoy living in style.

Wasn't there an argument being made that Hamm should have played Captain America before that role was cast?

http://jonhammshouldplaycaptainamerica.wordpress.com/

Wasn't there an argument being made that Hamm should have played Captain America before that role was cast?

http://jonhammshouldplaycaptainamerica.wordpress.com/

Doesn't seem outspoken enough for Cap. Too laid back. That site calling Hamm one of today's greatest modern actors is quite overstated--aside from Mad Men, he's been in all B or worse roles. Haven't seen a lot of range to call him great.

Lot of specualtion coming from the article. Downey seems to hint at he's ok for another 3 years, which would put him in Avengers 2, and possibly one more film. Then they could recast Iron Man after that.

I've really enjoyed Downey as Iron Man but he's played more like the Ultimate Iron Man than the classic Marvel Universe Iron Man. That's the beauty of the Marvel Cinematic Universe they pick the best versions of the characters in the comics and put that on screen.

Either way I can't wait to see Iron Man 3.