• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic-book Floppies and its resistibility and lastingness

1 post in this topic

To clear any doubts my topic is about the conservation of the comic-book as a physical collectible independently of being encapsulated by CGC or not.

CAN CGC HAVE ANY WORD ON HOW COMIC BOOKS SHOULD BE PRINTED IN THE NAME OF THE CONSERVATION OF THESE KIND OF PUBLICATIONS?

We dispose of at least three types of most known comic-book binding: Trade Paperback, Hardback and the saddle stitch commonly known as "floppy".

And this is all about the "Floppies" that we comic-book collectors collect every month.

The problem is that the "floppy" is really fragile. So how can we collectors protect our objects of admiration when they can tear and rug and get old so easily?

Well, we already know some techniques by using special bags and boards to protect our books inside.

But I believe that there are maybe two kinds of comic-book collectors, the ones that prefer to slab their most valuable comic-book possessions and maybe opt for purchasing two copies of the same issue, one to slab and other to use and read; and the other kind of collector that prefer to read over and over the same comic-books that he or she love so much.

In either case the effective durability to handling and resistance to the repeatedly thumb through is an important matter to be aware of.

When a comic-book is encapsulated it is protected for ever but it can't be read, we can only admire its cover.

When a comic-book it is not encapsulated we can also protect it for many years inside a polypropylene bag backed with a 24 PT thick card board.

The latter option allows the collector/reader to take the comic-book out of the bag and handling it and thumb through it and enjoying it.

AND MY TOPIC IS ABOUT THE ONES WHO WISH TO ENJOY READING OVER AND OVER COMIC-BOOKS WITHOUT SEEING THEM LOOSING THEIR FRESHNESS.

All over the years comic-book paper and printing has been improving. At least since the mid 1990s the covers and interior pages became glossier, nevertheless the comic-books continue to be very floppy thus very fragile as ever had been.

Therefore I believe that to turn comic-books into a much more resistant object its pages and cover should be more thick than it is commonly printed.

What is sporadically done to foil embossed covers to emphasize a special numbering by the use of a thicker paper should be, in my opinion, used on every periodical comic-book inclusively its interior pages should along be even more glossy.

This way we all, collectors and readers, would enjoy much more the physical contact with comic-books and it would be preserved when handled much more and would last even more.

At the end the result would be for collectors to acquire easily higher grade comic books.

If the quality of paper (weight/thickness) increases it diminishes the creases and the tearing, and the spine rolls.

We want our comic-books always with full lustre, with edges sharp and pages like new.