• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countdown to Comicpalooza!

33 posts in this topic

I'll answer my own question. After a bit of recollection, it looks like everything that's spread out over the three halls of the first floor was crammed into Hall A last year. I guess they have a bigger and better offering of celebrity guests this year? It's good that they took the feedback to find a better location for the workshops and panels.

And is there really a Harvey Lee Comics that will be there? :)
lol

I'll be picking up the cargo van, loading up and heading to Houston in about 30 hours. I'm already exhausted.

:sumo: This I guarantee... :sumo: No matter who you are or how long you've been in this hobby, I will have at least one cool thing that you've never seen before or never knew existed. I'm raiding my own 40-year collection (accumulation) of weird paper items.

After picking up some nice books at Comicpalooza last year, I registered early this year. Last year I bought a really nice, high grade copy of Venus #4 from Weird Paper so I was hoping to find something nice this year.

I saw a number of books I was interested in; some Ducks and some Feldstein Juniors. I also bought some nice Archie's from Greg White; some 1960's issues so not anything super rare.

I bought a book from Harley yesterday for $300. I found a problem with it last night so I brought it back today. He had just given me a refund and I just had to ask about another book he had. It was one of the Duck books that caught my eye yesterday.

I ended up giving him the refunded cash back plus more to get this:

DD-PirateGold-FC09-05262013-small_zps20807479.jpg

It's a pretty nice copy over all. I'm not trying to complete a run of the Donald Four Colors but there are certain issues I've always wanted and this is one of them.

There were also a lot of guests but there's usually no one I'm interested in at conventions since I don't keep up with the current artists and as for actors, I'm not into much with respect to science fiction or fantasy shows. But on Friday, I saw the table for Craig Parker who played Glaber, one of the Roman leaders on Spartacus which is a show I did love. I visited his table on Saturday. I can't say I was a fan of his since he was one of the evil Roman leaders on the show but he is extremely charming in person. Of course he was in Lord of the Rings as well but I never got into that.

I don't have much in the way of photos of me with celebrities but he was such a nice guy and I loved the show so much, I wanted a photo. Here's the result:

CraigParkerGlaberinSpartacusandTom-05-25-2013014-Small_zpsa16af996.jpg

Anyway, Comicpalooza is getting to be a nice con and I hope it continues to grow.