• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Neal Adams vs John Byrne

42 posts in this topic

I just came back on and noticed my mistake! I HAD MULTIPLE WINDOWS OPEN I GUESS AND FOUND THE FIRST DICE TO REPOND TO.

OOOPS just like I had the caops key on by mistake here till I looked up.... gawd I feel like POV now!! blush.gif

I think that Neal's oversized ego is matched if not exceeded by JBs... Neal just showed up and chastised JB for passing along a statement from another professional. Of course in his typical condescending God like fashion it came across as a cold rebuke, which left JB, ego in hand, his only recourse ; to backpeddle w/o conceding any wrongdoing. He certainly wasnt going to apologize to Neal, nor did he want to insult an artist whose work he admires.

JB did not come off that way to me. He seemed a bit cocky but not rude. I can definitely see where the two of them would rub each other the wrong way. I haven't met Neal (on my list of things to do) but I'm sure he is cordial and pleasant to speak with. If he's like many really talented people it's only when he feels challenged that his god complex sprouts -- "You don't like the way I do it? Let's see what you've got tough guy."

The JB forum topic was an interesting read. I agree that In a way Adams and Byrne are very alike in personality(Neither backs down from confrontation and both like to create the same said confrontation).

and also to quote Sterling "I just love their work--both of 'em need to stop cruising forums and start producing some more great art! "

It was Byrne's own tribute forum so he wasn't cruising around looking to pick a fight. And we'd probably all like to see more comics from these gentlemen..sans..ego.

I've read quite a bit of JB's forum and have decided that I really dont like him as a person. He comes off as arrogant and condecending in nearly every post.

It was Byrne's own tribute forum so he wasn't cruising around looking to pick a fight.

No, he was cruising around to soak up adulation.

I agree, and that's what the posters are doing over there in hopes of communicating with their idol. It's a two way street that has both sides getting what they want.

I'm hearing a song in the back of my head right now "stroke meee..stroke me, Stroke"

Neal Adams is actually sort of a jerk in person. I had him autograph a few books, and he didn't seem friendly at all, and was kind of condescending to me. frown.gif

He's signed a few books for me a Big Apple shows. I haven't formed an opinion because he is always surrounded by so many sycophants that monopolize his time, a regular Joe that just wants to say hello can't get a word in edgewise. He seemed okay... not overly friendly, but not rude either.

confused-smiley-013.gif

It was Byrne's own tribute forum so he wasn't cruising around looking to pick a fight.

No, he was cruising around to soak up adulation.

I agree, and that's what the posters are doing over there in hopes of communicating with their idol. It's a two way street that has both sides getting what they want.

The sucking-up in that forum is pathetic. I get the feeling that some posters sit around, constantly hitting "refresh", waiting for a Byrne missive to appear so they can be the first to reply. 27_laughing.gif

The response to the Adams post was embarassing. If Adams called them all [!@#%^&^] , someone would have thanked him for posting. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

you got that right!

Its ironic that Byrne started it by telling a story that Adams sloughed off on some pencilling jobs 25 years ago..... when Byrnes current work looks like sketches compared to his early stuff. He still has a mastery of the page and shapes and poses etc.... bt I cant read hi sbooks amymore, too loose and th einks are too heavy... Not to mention his SA story homages give me a headache trying to keep up..

sign-funnypost.gif

you got that right!

Its ironic that Byrne started it by telling a story that Adams sloughed off on some pencilling jobs 25 years ago..... when Byrnes current work looks like sketches compared to his early stuff. He still has a mastery of the page and shapes and poses etc.... bt I cant read hi sbooks amymore, too loose and th einks are too heavy... Not to mention his SA story homages give me a headache trying to keep up..

Really? I enjoyed his recent run on JLA. Not his best work, IMO, but still better than most... and the best JLA arc in recent memory.

I bought them... and looked at them....page by page... but found them "opaque" meaning I couldnt find a place to begin reading, just not I dunno, inviting. Maybe Ill try again if you say it was good enough. Did you like GENERATIONS? That was th eone I just got a headache from trying to follow...? Last Byrne I liked was NEXT MEN. And I have found much of his earlier work to be some of th ebest comics of their time. but lately...??? And I can say the same for Adams too. Except he was THE BEST of his time.

How can Adams be accussed of having a bigger ego than Byrne. Byrne created his own forum so he could be heaped with praise and when the whim suits him bark at someone who says something he doesnt agree with.

Byrnes point about Adams seemed to be a subtle snipe if a slightly subconscious one, Adams shows up and questions the authenticity and reasoning of the point. Byrne gets hot and doesnt back off and tries to prove himself right, then when Adams makes some good points Byrne gets in a huff and says 'conversation over'.

Adams may well be awkward, but in this conversation I think Byrne came off looking far worse.

was that to me? I cant remember what I wrote, but my personal pecking order of comics hole creators puts them both on the list, but forgives Adams more because he's a better creator, if that makes any sense. They both have swelled heads...deservedly so. only IMO Adams earned his to a greater degree, do that makes Byrnes ego out of balanvce with his "talent"

now, all the above is realy meaningless nonsense, of course, because in the great order of the universe, BOTH have contributed far more than I have, so who am I to criticize?? Its like when we fans call a guy a hack when 90% of all creators who ever put a pencil or ink to board are better at it than we would be. (I dont want to say 100 or even pick a % but you get it...)

A friend of mine told me a story years ago about Byrne at this one convention he was at. He said this young boy about 14 or 15 years old was asking him for an autograph and Byrne wasn't doing autographs that day. Well the kid kept persisting and Byrne proceeded to rip this kid a new 893censored-thumb.gif !!!! My buddy said and so did I he could've handled the situation alot better than what he did. I realise we all have bad days, but come on. He probably killed that kid's enthusiasm for collecting his stuff for years to come. I realise that the kid might have been a bit pushy, but he's the adult. He should have handled it better. I heard alot of people were shocked when they saw his behavior towards the kid that day.

Sounds like Byrne, he reminds me of Mean Machine from the Judge Dredd books, even on his lowest setting he's a mean son of a [!@#%^&^].

I think on one level his fire made him what he is an artist, yet on the other hand his status in the industry gave him the excuse he needed to never temper his emotions or control himself.

Saw Adams at San Diego Last Year, It was almost like he was Holding Court, Must have had 25 Fans around his Table (and this was on Thursday!!).... I was Happy to see him, Because I LOVE His work.... But he is NOT for Everyone, He Swears like a Sailor, and DOES have a HUGE Ego...I really don't think he is Knowingly Try's to Intimidate anyone, But sometimes it came out that way in how he answered fan questions/comments....His Kid and wife were with him, Caught his Kid "Rolling His eyes" at some of his comments (Kinda" like "Dad is Just Being Dad"). But I have to admit, I was surprised at how much he swears!!