• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sold, Closed

37 posts in this topic

I think in the past few years, IH #181 has been selling for about the same price in almost every grade. I don't see prices going up at all anytime soon.

Do a quick completed listings search for Hulk 181 on ebay. You'll see that all the CGC 7.5 auctions were around $750 back in feb in comparison to the $900 average its been selling for recently. Could just be movie hype and speculation though. No doubt though, Wolvie has shot up the popularity ladder within the past 15 years contributing the value of his first appearance.

I think in the past few years, IH #181 has been selling for about the same price in almost every grade. I don't see prices going up at all anytime soon.

I think 9.8s have tumbled a bit...

Indeed!

If only I could could give up my Hulk 181, I would actually have the money for this dream book of mine.

sell your Hulk 181 then buy this. It is a very nice presenting 3.0.

Your Hulk 181 can be replaced at any grade level at any time. Just my opinion.

Aahhh, don't tempt me!

I sort of just did the same thing.

Sell (or resell) a book you thought you would never part with... in order to buy a grail or mini-grail.

Or dream book in your case. :)

I think I know what book you sold that you thought you never would. :)

lol

Never thought I would either, but...

Do a quick completed listings search for Hulk 181 on ebay. You'll see that all the CGC 7.5 auctions were around $750 back in feb in comparison to the $900 average its been selling for recently. Could just be movie hype and speculation though. No doubt though, Wolvie has shot up the popularity ladder within the past 15 years contributing the value of his first appearance.

Too small of a subset... Avg sale for a Hulk 181 through 2012 was $808. 90-day is 859, and that's with the movie spike. The book is somewhat flat with growth just above inflation. X-men 1 in 3.0 is doing about the same over the same time frame. X-men 1 in low-grade is also very, very available in comparison to Marvel mega-keys. Second most available pre-65 mega-key behind DD1. X-men 1 is the better long-term pick for me. Just think the shorter supply lends itself to bigger price spikes.

I think the real question here also isn't necessarily which is gonna be worth more money in 2043 but rather which one would you rather have 30 years from now. If X-men 1 is a dream book then I would suggest that one. Hulk 181 is an awesome book but having a high grade one also isn't super important. I love my 7.5 but have no plans on chasing a higher grade. At the same time I would flip it in a heart beat for an ASM 1 or a AF 15 or if I wanted both, downgrade my IH 181 to fund the dream purchase.

In terms of availability that is an issue as well. There are 2400 or so X-men 1s in the registry and I tend to bet not many raws floating out there that are 3+ That book does not become available every day.There are 5800 IH 181s out there, along with numerous raws. I think if a bubble is eventually going to burst, it would be IH 181 before x-men 1, supply and demand and all that.

Too small of a subset... Avg sale for a Hulk 181 through 2012 was $808. 90-day is 859, and that's with the movie spike. The book is somewhat flat with growth just above inflation. X-men 1 in 3.0 is doing about the same over the same time frame. X-men 1 in low-grade is also very, very available in comparison to Marvel mega-keys. Second most available pre-65 mega-key behind DD1. X-men 1 is the better long-term pick for me. Just think the shorter supply lends itself to bigger price spikes.

This is a good analysis. All books should ALWAYS be going up every year, simply due to inflation alone, (which is much higher than reported). Any book that is roughly stable, or even falling, is in theory losing value to inflation every year.

Whether Hulk 181 is overvalued or not is a pretty common argument/discussion. I dont think you see many people saying that X-Men #1 is over-valued. That alone is a pretty strong indication of which has a more stable long term value. Both books will always be major keys from their respective ages, but I'd always take an older key over a newer one, and a rarer key over a more common one.

X-Men #1 all day, every day.

Nice book! I was actually truing to piece together some money to make an offer. Prices will probably go up on these key X-Men books when the new movie becomes a mega hit.