• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ladies and Gentlemen.....The HULK

21 posts in this topic

Here's the first picture that's been released from the movie showing a full face shot of the Hulk.

hulk.bmp

Pretty anti-climatic if you ask me. I expected something....more kick maybe? Other, not very clear, pics that I assume will be aired during the SuperBowl can be seen at the Aint-It-Cool-News website.

Jim

Ummm...that's not a guy with his face painted green, that's a computer-generated model.

Too early to tell how it will be. The pictures on that web site look promising; looks like they're using the same extra-bulky frame the comic uses. The challenging part with a CGI Hulk isn't how he looks in still frames, it's how naturalistic his motion and facial expressions will be. That'll be where they either shine or fall flat on their faces.

What's wrong with it? Looks ok to me.

Relax. Wait until the Superbowl at least, before you start judging.

I like it, but what's up with the purple hair (which is what is causing that apparant "pink flesh")?? confused.gif

And for your viewing pleasure, you can check out the Hulk trailer on-line here! It works better if you download it to your hard drive. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link Dr B. grin.gif

That looks like a pretty cool website for comic related movie news. cool.gif

The trailer looks good, not sure about the Hulk in shorts though. Kinda liked the old ripped purple trousers look myself.

I think the Hulk film will be interesting. Ang Lee is a great director and it will be interesting to see his spin on the character. I am a little bit concerned about the lack of a major super villain, but from what I can see in the trailer the CGI is going to be something to see in itself.

The movie has to be an improvement on the tv series.

Why DID the button on Lou Ferigno's jeans never pop off when he became the Hulk? confused.gifgrin.gifsmirk.gif

Why DID the button on Lou Ferigno's jeans never pop off when he became the Hulk?

Maybe he was afraid "mini-Hulk" was really the strongest one there is!?!? blush.gif

Then why can you see what appears to be pink flesh showing through green makeup????
Because they wanted the textures extruded across the 3D polygon of the Hulk to look as human as possible.

The HUGE technological hurdle that CGI still has yet to overcome is to create a 3D-animated human that viewers cannot distinguish from a real human, and the animators of the Hulk know this and are hoping to push the envelope. Final Fantasy came as close as any film ever has, yet you can tell they're fake within a few seconds. The CGI for the Hulk will face this same hurdle, although not as much as it would for a normal human; he's so much larger and superhuman that if he doesn't move exactly like a real person would, then it can still be believable if they adhere to the fundamental dynamics of human movement. That was why Jurassic Park's dinosaurs were so cool; nobody knew what to expect a dinosaur to move like, so the animators had a LOT of leeway in how they did their work. Even with those dinosaurs, they tried to use the real-life motion of animals to make it appear more realistic to us. They used ostriches for the flocks of gallamimuses, elephants for the diplodocus and brachiosaurs, and combinations of several animals for trexes and raptors.

I thought the Hulk was wearing ripped trousers in that clip. The reason they look like shorts is because his body is SO much larger than a normal person's in this version of the Hulk that his calves totally ripped the lower part of the pants off. I could be wrong, hard to tell in the video.

This would beg the question of why the upper part didn't rip off, just like with Lou Ferrigno...the reason for that is unrealistic but it should be obvious. shocked.gifsmile.gif

I forgot to comment on the trailer!

IT ROCKS !!!!!

This looks like the portrayal of the Hulk rampaging around is gonna be AWESOME. And Jennifer Connelly is one primo piece a' tail! smirk.gif

Looks pretty damn good to me too! My son Nick and his buddy Max just saw it with me and all were impressed! Now time for a big Hulk wrestling match - I think we watched it 4 times over. Looks pretty Hulking to me - loved him swinging that tank around! Seems like this won't be Hulk lite!

Btw., there has been a dramatic breakthrough in research on

rendering human skin over the last 9-12 months. To my knowledge,

this technique has not been featured in any movies yet, but all the

major studios are working on it. Very soon, we should see a whole

new level of realism of CG generated humans. The idea is based on

subsurface scattering, ie. simulating how photons move around

inside a translucent media. Capturing these effects has been

extremely costly and impractical until now, but the new algorithm

makes it feasible for the first time.

I have heard that Ang Lee is OBSESSED with getting the CGI Hulk to look as human as humanly possible..that is why they are spending over 7 months in post production. I think it will be good if only for the fact that Ang Lee who is one of our best directors is COMMITTED to making sure good "product" comes to the screen. He would not be satisfied otherwise.

WOW.......those pictures of the hulk in action look INCREDIBLE. It looks like this movie is gonna be great. To me.....it still looks like, in the first post, that regular colored skin is peaking through make-up on his cheek and right above his lip, but it's probably just the lighting. I still think that face shot makes him look too human. In the comics, the Hulks features are more easily discernable from regular humans. But the action shots make it apparent that he will definitely not be too human. I'm hyped about this movie. laugh.gif

there has been a dramatic breakthrough in research on

rendering human skin over the last 9-12 months

Nice to see that 3D world is progressing. I myself have tried to make/fake realistic human skin on 3D-models with the help of some tutorials on the net.

I wonder then these proprietary tools are available to commercial 3d programs.

Is it me, or don't most movies look promising based solely on the trailer?

At any rate, I agree that the pictures posted do look cool. And given that Ang Lee is such a talented and accomplished director with great range (who else could instill Sense and Sensibility and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon with equal excellence?), I think the movie will ultimately be good. How it stacks up against the great Superhero Comics-based movies remains to be seen, though. Spider-man reset the standard, IMO that was forged with Superman and the first Batman and was virtually ruined with the non-Tim Burton Bat-flicks. If Hulk turns out to be in the same level, it will be an excellent movie.

On another note, I also agree that miss Connelly is quite the looker. Those of you who are fans of her should really check Requiem for a Dream...it will greatly alter your perspective of her wholesome beauty.

On another note, I also agree that miss Connelly is quite the looker. Those of you who are fans of her should really check Requiem for a Dream...it will greatly alter your perspective of her wholesome beauty.

That's the UNcut version that he's referring to. And yikes.