• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery

26 posts in this topic

One of my goals is to purchase a few MArvel Mystery comics.

congrats on that getting an early copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Outside of the obvious #1 and this issue there are a few Marvel Mystery books I want to own. Issue #9 tops my list, 5,8,10 and 92. I will eventually upgrade my issue #4. If anyone has a real low grade issue #9 they want to unload let me know.

One of my goals is to purchase a few MArvel Mystery comics.

congrats on that getting an early copy. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Outside of the obvious #1 and this issue there are a few Marvel Mystery books I want to own. Issue #9 tops my list, 5,8,10 and 92. I will eventually upgrade my issue #4. If anyone has a real low grade issue #9 they want to unload let me know.

The only ones I see are usually numbered in the 70's.

Surf,

I snagged their copy of Great Comics #3 in VG+. Paid a hefty premium (I think like $240 over guide--pretty pricey for a book in that grade--but what a cover!), but the scans looked nice and an unrestored copy in presentable shape has been one of my grails for quite some time. The only other copys I've been able to scout out have been restored (in G/VG and not much cheaper than what I paid) or beat to sh$! So, yeah, I probably paid too much (please be gentle guys, I'm still new here!) but I'm not ever planning to resell it so I'm happy. Should arrive any day now!

Hitler in hell cover! Can't beat that one!

While the already high guide prices reflect the demand for Great Comics #3, I get the impression this is a hard book to find, and one should expect to pay a premium over guide. It's always a bit of a gamble paying well over guide for a GA book you really want, but sometimes it turns out to still be a bargain.

Either Great #3 is a tough book to find or I've just been unlucky. In either case, I'm happy to have finally picked up a copy. My guess is that it's not necessarily scarcer than other books from the period but it simply doesn't trade much. When collectors find a nice-looking copy, they hang onto it. I know I will.

There's only 3 slabbed on the census and no records on GPA, if that's any indication.

Post a copy when you get it. I wouldn't worry about paying a premium on this book as I'm sure down the road you could slabb it and recoup your money if you had to. I'm starting to get into these Timely/Atlas GA books that are considered to be scrace, regardless of how cr@ppy their condition might be. I recently passed on a Marvel Mystery #91 that was in rough shape but it still went for over $200. If there are truly only 20 odd copies estimated to be around for books that are considered to be "scarce" I want to be one of the lucky owners.

Post a copy when you get it. I wouldn't worry about paying a premium on this book as I'm sure down the road you could slabb it and recoup your money if you had to. I'm starting to get into these Timely/Atlas GA books that are considered to be scrace, regardless of how cr@ppy their condition might be. I recently passed on a Marvel Mystery #91 that was in rough shape but it still went for over $200. If there are truly only 20 odd copies estimated to be around for books that are considered to be "scarce" I want to be one of the lucky owners.

Marvel #91 is perhaps the toughest book in the run to find in 8.0 or better. CGC has yet to grade an unrestored copy 8.0 or better, and only one other Marvel Mystery can make that claim...to date.

West