• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Global Shipping Program for Canada?

8 posts in this topic

Here is a post that will hopefully be helpful to those who would like to expand their selling base and sell books to Crazy Canucks north of the border. For those who do not...well just move along, nothing to see here but a D a m n whining foreigner who likely lives in an igloo and mushes his dog sled to work and as such has fingers too cold to turn pages on comics anyway...move along.....

has Joe Dirt left the Room?

Okay, now to those who are interested in appealing to a 30+ million people market please pay heed to my appeal.

Old comics are one of my passions and even though I am selling off my thousands of books, I still sneak into a corner somewhere when my wife isn't looking and buy a few that I love and some for re-sell as well. Since old comics are just that; OLD, then they are used and as such should not incur duty and taxes when crossing the border. In fact books are reading material and as such do not usually incur duty and taxes anyway (note *disclaimer* I am not a customs and duty expert just going by experience and will defer to any who are an expert). Every once in a while I will get a book that is shipped Priority Mail and it is listed as "merchandise" and ---UNPLEASANT SURPRISE I have to pay the postman another $30 - $60 bucks... run to the computer and mark off that seller from my future considerations.

Now feebay has introduced the Global Shipping Program which just automatically assumes apparently that a comic book (used or not) is "merchandise" (inferring brand new and not reading material) and therefore should be charged duty and taxes up front *ugh* also if you are not careful and miss the "customs service and international tracking provided" on the listing you only see the shipping charge then go to pay and are greeted with another unpleasant surprise....your purchase just went from x $ to xxx $ because shipping now has another line item with a healthy price tag attached... your purchase just went up by 20%.

Fortunately I know what to look out for now and when I see the "customs service and international tracking" line on a listing then I will just move right past it. Now I certainly understand the need for tracking but that is no different in the USA, am I thinking correctly?

I use "tracked packet" from Canada and list all books as "used comic books" and not one customs charge that I am aware of. surely the USPS must have something comparable that is like first class mail but offers tracking?

Soooo, here is hoping that those who want to deal with Canadians and not chase us off by charging us a huge premium for customs and tracking will offer another service...can we put our heads together and come up with a better alternative? Love to hear what you think and hope this lends some perspective!

Ajester

I just sent out a book to Canada yesterday. First Class was about $17, unless it goes Express or Priority the USPS does not offer tracking once it reaches the border and even then, in my experience, the information on their site doesn't always get updated until it's been delivered. Sometimes, not always though, you can use the Customs Form number and track it just as well.

As far as what box gets checked on the Customs Form... if it's something I sold on ebay, these boards etc. I mark it as merchandise. That's what it is. It's unfortunate if you have to pay a duty or import tax but that's not the sellers fault. Wouldn't marking it as anything else constitute fraud? I'll pass on that option, nothing good can come from filing false information on government forms. 2c

I just sent out a book to Canada yesterday. First Class was about $17, unless it goes Express or Priority the USPS does not offer tracking once it reaches the border and even then, in my experience, the information on their site doesn't always get updated until it's been delivered. Sometimes, not always though, you can use the Customs Form number and track it just as well.

As far as what box gets checked on the Customs Form... if it's something I sold on ebay, these boards etc. I mark it as merchandise. That's what it is. It's unfortunate if you have to pay a duty or import tax but that's not the sellers fault. Wouldn't marking it as anything else constitute fraud? I'll pass on that option, nothing good can come from filing false information on government forms. 2c

Once it crosses border I beleive you can use Canada post website to track items

You are correct

Appreciate the input. It is not fraud to check the box "other" and write "Used Comic Book" or just "comic book" for that matter. "Merchandise" is way too general a term IMHO and triggers the "duty and taxes". I think sending first class is fine as it doesn't seem to trigger the Duty/taxes wire regardless (not sure why). Anyway, appreciate the conversation...I am sure there is a wealth of experience on these boards and surely we can help some with shared info and insight.

You are correct

I've had instances where packages didn't show in their system until delivered, it's not every time but it does happen. (shrug)

I would think if they read the description on the Customs Form (I always write comic books) it would alleviate the problem of things being taxed that shouldn't be. Then again... maybe it's just silly to expect government employees to do the jobs we pay them for. lol

You are correct

I don't think that's the case with First Class - that level of service doesn't get the event scanning from CPC that more costly levels do. That's just my experience and it may be hit & miss on tracking. (shrug)

Also, "merchandise" is like describing comic books as "stuff" - it's too generic to assist anyone in determining what is in the box - you risk more opened boxes this way and also run the risk that someone at customs will just throw it under some dutiable "other goods" classification. I see that clarification now from LS.

A comic book has advertising, it's duty free but will attract taxes into Canada & isn't eligible for the book rebate of Ontario PST. A 'book', like a trade paperback/omnibus IS eligible for the book rebate. :gossip:

From Australia, Canada Post (whatever its called) will not allow parcels to be insured.

If you can find out which world that makes some sort of sense in, please let Australia Post know, as they have no idea why either.

Or why it costs approximately 50% more to Canada than North America?

I will sell to Canada, but only with a hefty postal surcharge.

On ebay, I actively discourage Canadian buyers as the postal cost is somewhat of a shock.