• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grail acquisition at C2E2 + pictures

33 posts in this topic

This year, I decided to go to the C2E2 show in Chicago vs. the Motor City Show in a few weeks. I saved and saved since last year's Motor City Show with my biggest Grail in mind. (Big thank you to those who have bought prints and comics from me this year as it all went towards this!) It's been a challenge finding a Brave & The Bold #28 in the price range I can afford for a couple of years now. I didn't want to leave anything to chance, so I reached out to Bob Storms to see if he had any lead on one. I already have the orginal JLA series and B&B #29 but this is naturally the biggie! (B&B #30 will now jump up the Want List. lol ) Bob got back to me right away and within a week found this beauty for me. Much nicer than picture from my IPhone does it justice.

IMG_0251_zpsc18a6bc6.jpg

Needless to say, I'm so excited to finally own this book. I started collecting JLA's back with #156 in 1978. 35 years later, I have the "one" that was only a dream when I was a teenager. As always, Bob's grading is impeccable. Mix that with fair pricing and great customer service and you've got a winning combination. A huge thank you again Bob!

You know, for a number of years now, even if I go to shows other than Motor City, I always tend to buy from Bob and Dale Roberts. I trust both of them and love their selection of books. No different at this show though I did add Greg Reece to the list and got some very nice books.

Here's some more books I got from Bob:

IMG_0250_zps4757f08a.jpg

IMG_0249_zps1e7bd588.jpg

IMG_0246_zps0faac67d.jpg

I used to won this Batman Family as a kid but got rid of it in college 25 years ago. Love the cover. The Avengers were sweet copies!

As I mentioned, the other person I always buy from is Dale Roberts. I've been dealing with Dale for almost 15 years. He is a true gentleman and has helped me complete many books on my want list. In fact, a good chunk of my JLA collection has come through Dale over the years.

I got some great JLA upgrades this time. (Those G2.0 I bought as a kid were fine for reading back in the day... lol ) (The JLA #160 was from Bob, upgrade from my newstand addition that was well read and loved.)

IMG_0254_zpsd19e5fab.jpg

My first JLA 100 Pager CGC. Not to Greggy's standards but a 9.4 works for me!

IMG_0248_zpse58c0dd1.jpg

I also upgraded some Conan's from Dale. I had bought #3 over 10 years ago, thought it was CGC worthy and sent it in. It came back PLOD 7.0 Amateur. I was crushed. Dale had this gorgeous 9.0, maybe 9.2. The #20 is an upgrade from the one I bought as a teenager in VG.

IMG_0252_zps12af5115.jpg

Lastly, a Flash with Neal Adams art on GL

IMG_0253_zps8178a793.jpg

OK, after a number of years, I finally bought some Toon Tumblers. (I am a Toon Tumbler virgin no more. lol ) Ended up buying for my daughters and nephews. The Superman one I took as I remember drawing the pose way back in Junior High. Love that Adams cover.

Everyone likes them so far!

IMG_0245_zps8996e858.jpg

OK, now a first for me. I actually took pictures of the Show. Here are some of the shots of people, etc. Overall, I had a great time and got a lot of books and made a nice dent in my Want List.

IMG_0244_zps33c63494.jpg

Superheroes...

Black Cat and Starfire. (Never seen a Starfire at the shows before.)

IMG_0241_zpscd5daf4e.jpg

Not sure why Poison Ivy has a coat on but I'm betting wardrobe malfunction.

IMG_0242_zpsc4033c94.jpg

IMG_0243_zpsf5211b5c.jpg

IMG_0231_zpsc79f61ee.jpg

OK, after a number of years, I finally bought some Toon Tumblers. (I am a Toon Tumbler virgin no more. lol ) Ended up buying for my daughters and nephews. The Superman one I took as I remember drawing the pose way back in Junior High. Love that Adams cover.

IMG_0245_zps8996e858.jpg

Were the walking dead glasses available at the show???

IMG_0245_zps8996e858.jpg

Were the walking dead glasses available at the show???

Yes, I believe they were.