• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGA !?!

80 posts in this topic

Saw this on the ComicsPriceGuide.com site. Ooooo.... popcorn.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have changed our name, and although the press release is being released through our office in Arizona, we still have our offices in Eugene, OR and all books graded will go through our Oregon offices.

Phoenix, AZ – August 30th, 2004 – Press Release

Top 10 Reasons Why Comic Grading Group Changed Its Name to Professional Grading Authority, LLC:

10. CGC insisted that their customers where not bright enough to tell the difference between the name "CGC" and "CGGroup". We had some of our top scientist’s work on this for several days. When the results came back in our favor, CGC's response was, "you are wrong and we are right because we have more money than you" - followed by five minutes of continuous maniacal laughter.

9. After watching one of those late-night infomercials, we joined the 'Brand-Of-The-Month Club': 10 domain names for just one dollar!

8. This makes it more difficult for spammers to track our email addresses.

7. With our new acronym 'PGA', the CGC customers identified in reason no. 10 might actually associate us with the Master's Tournament and Tiger Woods. You can't buy publicity like that!

6. Google loves it when you change your domain frequently.

5. It's the next big trend in marketing: temporary branding.

4. We forgot the password to our host server, so we had to start from scratch.

3. Our focus group of tree monkeys consistently put the PGA logo in the same category as bananas, whereas the old CGGroup logo was matched with time-outs and flea baths. Interestingly, this study also demonstrated a small positive correlation between the CGC logo and the activity of flinging poo.

2. Once we got everything up to speed, well, we had nowhere left to go.

And, the number-one reason why Comic Grading Group changed its name to Professional Grading Authority, LLC:

1. Our management team - all leading minds of our generation - decided we needed to stop trading barbs with CGC and get back to the business of distinguishing ourselves as the responsive, high-quality source for comic grading services.

Bonus Reason: This was as good a PR hook as any to mention that we have recently formed a joint-venture with Bladewave, LLC (www.bladewave.com) to bring exciting new products to market for the comic book industry. Stay tuned for more details!

It is also important to note that in order for us to formalize our business relationship with our joint-venture partners, Bladewave requested that we eliminate our dispute with CGC. Now, we are Team PGA! (for the next few weeks, anyway ... we still haven't heard back from CGC whether their customers they will be able to tell the difference between certain posteriorly disposed human anatomical features and ... well, you get the picture). Really - we're not bitter.

As a final note, mention this press release and the code word "FLINGING POO" from now through October 31st and receive a 5% discount on your next order with PGA!

Daniel Patterson

President, Professional Grading Authority, LLC

thecomicguys@comcast.net

(541) 341-1230

sign-funnypost.gif

"As a final note, mention this press release and the code word "FLINGING POO" from now through October 31st and receive a 5% discount on your next order with PGA! "

27_laughing.gif They actually made a good "funny" 27_laughing.gif

Well Goodness! They really did change their name.

http://www.comicgradinggroup.com/index.php

I thought it was a joke. I still don't know if I can believe the above posted press release was legit or not, but they did change their name as you can now see on the website.

That is weird. After this thread was started today I checked their website and it still had CGGroup stuff. Seems they just changed it within the past few hours.

Although I guess the have to change the isp name.

PGA. Isn't that known worldwide as "Professional Golfer's Association?" foreheadslap.gif

I thought this was some joke. foreheadslap.gif

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Do these guys even realize how stupid this makes them look? What a bunch of .

from their website:

We believe the name change will further concrete our own identity and will extinguish any possible name confusion. We hope this will allow both companies to concentrate on what's important, our customers and to offering a professional grading service, and away from fighting legal battles.

27_laughing.gif

PGA. Isn't that known worldwide as "Professional Golfer's Association?" foreheadslap.gif

I thought this was some joke. foreheadslap.gif

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Do these guys even realize how stupid this makes them look? What a bunch of .

Isolated incident. The employee responsible for sabotaging the website has been fired. boo.gif

The real candidates for the new acronym are WWF or NBA or NFL. foreheadslap.gif

from their website:

We believe the name change will further concrete our own identity and will extinguish any possible name confusion. We hope this will allow both companies to concentrate on what's important, our customers and to offering a professional grading service, and away from fighting legal battles.

27_laughing.gif

Sounds like they were threatened with legal action & they blinked. foreheadslap.gif

Time to fire some emails to the REAL PGA? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

from their website:

27_laughing.gif

Who cares what they call themselves, they should spend their time learning to grade books. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Why anyone would send valuable items to them is beyond me. Their press release and their website both are full of grammar errors, NOT just typos, which speaks ill of their ability to get things done. Further, I don't understand the association with Bladewave - isn't the whole concept behind third party grading that it is impartial? Why would they do this?