• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGA !?!

80 posts in this topic

Further, I don't understand the association with Bladewave - isn't the whole concept behind third party grading that it is impartial? Why would they do this?

The same reason CGC got into bed with Wizard.. $$$$$$

Further, I don't understand the association with Bladewave - isn't the whole concept behind third party grading that it is impartial? Why would they do this?

The same reason CGC got into bed with Wizard.. $$$$$$

Purely a guess, but my impression was the same. I anticipate some sort of slabbed new books marketing scheme.

Why anyone would send valuable items to them is beyond me. Their press release and their website both are full of grammar errors, NOT just typos, which speaks ill of their ability to get things done. Further, I don't understand the association with Bladewave - isn't the whole concept behind third party grading that it is impartial? Why would they do this?

From what it looks like on the Bladewave website, is that they will create a new holder instead of the copied CGC one. Bladewave is a product design and manufacturing company. I would hope this is another attmept to not get sued by CGC.

PGA. Isn't that known worldwide as "Professional Golfer's Association?" foreheadslap.gif

I thought this was some joke. foreheadslap.gif

Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Do these guys even realize how stupid this makes them look? What a bunch of .

Isolated incident. The employee responsible for sabotaging the website has been fired. boo.gif

The real candidates for the new acronym are WWF or NBA or NFL. foreheadslap.gif

WWF is now WWE

World Wildlife Fund Sued World Wrestling Federation

News

August 30, 2004

We have changed our name from The Comic Grading Group. Our new name is The Professional Grading Authority, LLC with our acronym being PGA.

We have made this name change for several reasons and want everyone to know the main reasons.

One of the things that further prompted us closer to the final decision to change our name is the legal dispute with CGC. CGC has made it clear to us that they feel that our name "CGGroup", which we use as an abbreviation of Comic Grading Group, infringes on their "CGC" trademark. CGGroup / CGC ?

We do not believe that we infringe on their trademark, but we are also aware that any time we have to use to fight a lawsuit is time we could be giving our customers.

We believe the name change will further concrete our own identity and will extinguish any possible name confusion. We hope this will allow both companies to concentrate on what's important, our customers and to offering a professional grading service, and away from fighting legal battles.

This was as good a PR hook as any to mention that we have recently formed a joint venture with Bladewave, LLC (www.bladewave.com) to bring exciting new products to market for the comic book industry. Stay tuned for more details!

It is also important to note that in order for us to formalize our business relationship with our joint-venture partners, Bladewave requested that we eliminate our dispute with CGC. Now, we are Team PGA!

We hope that the name change to The Professional Grading Authority will be readily accepted and will be a positive step towards the future of PGA and will give us a solid platform for growing our company and the continuing acceptance of our services.

Daniel Patterson

President, Professional Grading Authority, LLC

thecomicguys@comcast.net

(541) 341-1230

http://www.pgacomics.com/news.php

893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif They changed their name to avoid a lawsuit from CGC, but now they will get hammered by golf's PGA... un-fricken-believable!

These guys are obviously mentally impaired turds... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

http://www.producersguild.org/ 893blahblah.gif

Clearly PGA is an acronym being used by more than one organization, so it's doubtful that it's trademarked by anyone. Common use.

Jeez... let's give the CGG/Bladewave people a little credit. To set up their LLC, they HAD to have a lawyer look into name issues like this.

Clearly PGA is an acronym being used by more than one organization, so it's doubtful that it's trademarked by anyone. Common use.

Jeez... let's give the CGG/Bladewave people a little credit. To set up their LLC, they HAD to have a lawyer look into name issues like this.

CGC

CGC? About the CGC

logo_sh.gif

CGC japan

CGC 4

CGC 5

CGC 6 CGC Materials/Products

foreheadslap.gif

I don't think there's a problem with using the name "PGA" unless

Bladewave also makes golf clubs. grin.gif

You've got to demonstrate that consumers in an industry might be confused.

Golfers aren't going to start buying slabbed comics thinking it's a Ping driver.

Other "CGC-named" companies don't deal in comic books.

In fact, you can open a restaurant tomorrow called "IBM" if you want... Italian Bob's Macaroni! grin.gif

I don't get why there isn't a "C" for "C"omics somewhere in the acronym. Is PGA an authority on grading any and every object which needs grading?

I hope they overgrade...I'm thinking about enrolling in graduate school over the next few years and I could use a good, independent grading company to fairly and objectively grade my term papers. My driveway's grade is rather bumpy and uneven and makes pulling my car into it a rough ride, so I could use some help grading that, also. boo.giftongue.gif

I don't get why there isn't a "C" for "C"omics somewhere in the acronym. Is PGA an authority on grading any and every object which needs grading?

I agree that the name should have been more focused.

Perhaps they can change the P to stand for "Periodical"

Periodical Grading Authority

This way they leave the door open for magazine grading as well. tongue.gif

Funny, get a life LOSER. 893blahblah.gif

THANKS! flowerred.gif Is life fun living with a bunch of pent-up anger that leaks through into your anonymous Internet relationships with other people who have the guts to put their real name in their forum profile?

THANKS! flowerred.gif Is life fun living with a bunch of pent-up anger that leaks through into your anonymous Internet relationships with other people who have the guts to put their real name in their forum profile?

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

confused.gifsign-funnypost.gifhi.gif

PGA (CGG) vs CGC

I think the competition is a good thing. here here! Coins/Cards each have more than one prominent 3rd party grader. for sportscards its BGS, PSA and SGC. for coins it's NGC, PCGS, and ICG. having dabbled in each of those realms, i have been waiting for this for a long time. it's healthy.

CGC has gotten awfully comfortable with their lagging TAT's (3-4 months at quick glance), non-direct submissions, and high costs ?20-bucks a book?. PGA makes no bones about it-- CGC created this opportunity, this need for a 2nd company.

Why would one submit to PGA? Easy. Lower prices, faster TAT, and submit directly to them (for us 'lil guys). Faster TAT means less time your comics are just sitting there ready to get dinged (or lost). The only thing you don't get is "The Registry"

Now starts the familiar debate over who grades better, stricter, more consistent... just like cards and coins.