• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting with a focus on 2nd and later printings....

37 posts in this topic

So I've decided to start this thread for the purpose of putting some emphasis on the oft times overlooked, and frowned upon topic of 2nd and later printing comics. Most people dicount these books as reader copy/$1 bin fodder, but with 2nd and later printing books usually being scarcer than their 1st print counterparts, they can be a fun area of niche collecting.

With 2nd prints often having a different cover than the 1st all together, or being a sketch variant of the regular cover or even a variant for that matter, these copies can sometimes be more desirable in the long run. Especailly when completists start trying to get 9.8 copies to complete their runs. This can often be difficult when the later printings were used as readers/hand-outs/birdcage liners.

Anyhow, this thread is to be used as a place for us 2nd and later printing enthusiasts to post our favorite 2nd-later print covers of today, and times past. And, to speculate on the later printing siblings of 1st print books doing well on the secondary market.

Damian

My picks for current books doing well down the road maybe, and just liking the covers:

Five Ghosts #1 2nd print-way cooler cover than 1st. If book keeps maturing and becomes a sought after title, this one could be HTF down the road.

hj3dwL8.jpg

NWM #1 5th print-not many retailers are ordering this I don't think. Again the completists will want this. I like the neon green color as well.

xGv1hlv.jpg

I enjoy the recent 2nd and later prints, but have also been picking up copper 2nd and later printings as well when I can find them. Lots of titles had them, and the covers are sometimes a little different. I haven't had to pay a premium for any of them yet, and they're fun to hunt.

Here is an example I paid $6 for in the latest Clink auction. I already have this book raw, but couldn't pass this up.

RAD131CB2013321_1746.jpg

I didn't even know they went to a 6th print! I thought they only went to 5th. There are no 6th printings available, or recent sales of any on ebay.

They only went 5th. I was referring to saga #6 second printing . Stupid iPad. I hate typing on it.

Second, third, etc. prints are just part of the big field of variants. I have

been trying to document all DC variants (previous to the 52 upchuck).

I have found well over 2,000 such variants going back as far as 1936.

Enjoy the search. You may never find them all.

ooooo, I like that 3rd print. I liked the 2nd print cover as well, but for $7.99 I didn't pop on any because they are everywhere. The 3rd print might be a different story.

Got them both for 40% off cover price thru dcbservice.com so I didn't mind.