• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay rant about raw comics

76 posts in this topic

Well, as you all know the main place to get raw books is eBay.

eBay is a wasteland when it comes to high grade raw copies...

Seriously. Only buy raws on eBay if you are desperate.

Or don't care that the eBay 9.8 is really a 9.2 at best, and anything pre-2000 is going to be 8.5 at best.

-slym

I don't have this problem, I went 10 for 10 on 9.8s on my last submission. I know what 9.8s look like and I can find them raw on ebay cause I know what I'm looking for. Look at the corners, how much white do you see? Look at the spine, any spine stress? If there is 1 color breaking crease and 3 out of 4 corners are super sharp, it can still grade 9.8. Look The eBay pics very closely, if these pics are bad then stay away, seller is hiding something, check his seller feedback, are the buyers happy with his grading? Hope this helps

I try sell nice 9.6-9.8 copies on ebay all the time with large scans that I crop/sharpen/de-noise in Photoshop. Problem is, even with these nice clear scans it's hard to sell HG books because people still don't trust the grading. I list all the major flaws and everything. I pack books how I want them packed as well. Doesn't help that on the off chance a buyer actually leaves me feedback, all they say is "great seller", or something equally as vague.

I try sell nice 9.6-9.8 copies on ebay all the time with large scans that I crop/sharpen/de-noise in Photoshop. Problem is, even with these nice clear scans it's hard to sell HG books because people still don't trust the grading. I list all the major flaws and everything.

I only say "at least 9.4 condition, look at my pics and decide for yourself!" and have nice large scans, as you do.

(thumbs u

-slym

Fact: If you are generally happy with the raw books you buy on eBay, you can't grade worth a mess.

PSA>

Bought off of Ebay as a raw 9.2 :grin:

Avengers60.jpg

An exception does not make the rule… :baiting:lol

Also bought raw off of Ebay:

]ASM106.jpg

JLA89.jpg

CM9.jpg

This is how comicspriceguide.com describes a 9.8/9.6

NEAR MINT+/MINT GRADES

NEAR MINT / MINT : 9.8

NEAR MINT+ : 9.6

This is close to mint with some minor defect.

A slight stress line by the staples.

Maybe some of the color has chipped or flaked off the cover.

And again, the cover is flat with no surface wear; inks are bright with high reflectivity and very little fading. And those tricky corners are cut square and sharp with ever so slight blunting permitted.

All stress marks should be almost invisible and bindery tears must be less than 1/16 inch.

Only the most subtle binding and/or printing defects allowed.

Cover is fairly well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.

Paper is supple and like new.

Spine is tight and flat.

Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.

Many pedigree collection comics have a notation on the cover or the interior of the comic and are considered a bonus to collectors as they help prove the provenance of the comic.

So obviously, as the opening statement suggests, "This is CLOSE to mint with some minor DEFECT."

And furthermore by reading everything they have listed at defects it seems like there are MANY defectS, not just one, that are allowed.

And even furthermore, I think that its true, an honest eBay seller will have to compete with hundreds of rookie sellers and some scammer sellers that will sell an 8.5 as a 9.8 just to have their listing stick with the rest of the herd, part of it also has to do with buyers who will lowball on anything but a 9.8 on an auction

There is also the accumulation of defects to take into account.

I have the impression very few are allowed in a 9.8… ;)

Correct - that list is just what could be allowed as a single defect or maybe two on a comic, not everything listed on one.

(thumbs u

-slym

lol

Well, must have been an awesome seller. I can buy on eBay as I trust a seller, I know some from which I’d buy with confidence… ;)

Now you entombed those for no good reason… :baiting:

Different sellers ;)

OK, even 4 good examples cannot discount the dozens of crappy ones we hear about and/or have experienced personally.

Plus, I am pretty sure Dice wasn't being that serious with his post...

:whistle:

-slym

Those people don't know what they're doing which is why they fail.

Worst case scenario, if you buy a raw book off of Ebay and it doesn't come as advertised, return it for a refund and move on 2c