• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Arrival and Stan Lee

9 posts in this topic

Lets keep the discussion rolling

Received this in the mail today. Wasn't really expecting it so soon or as a 9.8. I was expecting a 9.6 or 9.4. Can't really explain why but I just felt it was the way it was going to go. Fortunately not and I am stoked!

To hit on my point of not expecting it yet, I sent this in through DWC(Desert Wind Comics) back in January. I believe they received this around the 15th. To have it back this now after reading some of your posts regarding invoices since before Christmas is quite shocking to me. Was I lucky or is CGC sitting around the 4 month turnaround time for Modern tier? I got my Baltimore Comic Con books back in around 4 months also. I know this is a huge topic on the boards and since we can't sit over their shoulders I don't think we'll ever truly understand whats going on there.

Next topic to jump on is signatures, specifically Stan Lee's. As you can see he signed this book and of course had nothing really to do with it. Same as my other Stan sig(ASM 252). My thoughts on this are that number 1 he created the character, so he'll always be tied to him. But I do understand people who want him to sign stuff he directly worked on. I don't really have too much he actually did, unfortunately.

Now I completely agree with X-Ray Spexx's apology(I guess you can call it that) journal. There are flippers our there that just want his Stan's signature so they can sell it immediately or worse are waiting for him to pass to sell. Now, I'll admit I get signatures to increase the value of things. On top of my comics I have a lot of signed football and baseball memoribilia. But I also enjoy meeting the people and having the chance to talk to them and watch them sign my stuff. My first Stan signature I was there and witnessed it and told him thanks for everything and he responded with a nod. That to me is cooler than any money I'd get for selling some with his name signed on it. I do send things to private signings and to other cons I can't go to, but its not the same.

I'm sure most of us here enjoy meeting these creators of fictional characters we love. But there will always be the profiteer in anything that can make a buck. I hope Stan keeps on going and meeting all his adoring fans and signing all our random junk.

Hope I didn't bore anyone.

13528.JPG

See more journals by meshuggah

You did a fine job.

Nice Book.However, with Stan Lee, I find that on many books he signs in the most inopportune places. To bore people further with my ASM #129 when I first got it signed I was one of two(as a 9.4) and the other 9.4 SS with Stan Lee had the greatest signature placement, where mine was...WHY THERE? Time passed and I fell in love with everything about the books signatures...and even better about the grade.

I do agree with you about getting Stan Lee to Sign a book he worked on, there is a book I chose to have his name placed on the cover and that was with the New Mutants. I think I am planning on doing it again with my copy of 15. I figured how cool would it be to have everyone who has their name in the credits sign it, and in issue 15 it states Stan Lee presents. Of course if you are working on a Heroes for Hope starring the X-Men...good luck...I know you're out there.

Back to Meshuggah...please more photos...more journals..]once again very nice book.

I did send off X-Men 300 to the NY masters signing. Still waiting on that. I wanted it signed by Claremont(had nothing to do with it), Romita Jr(cover) and DeFalco(EIC). NY Comics emailed me not too long ago stating that they messed up and DeFalco didn't sign it. They're refunding me the signature fee for him. So as unfortunate as it is and I wish he had, no harm no foul really.

Tnerb, I do have pics to all my slabs(which isn't many) in my registry. I also posted a pic of my room in the comic room thread. But I would like to write more and probably will as things strike me.

Sweet grade and signature

I too sent my ASM 700's for grading (will post when they arrive). Unfortunately no Stan Lee signature.

But I agree, It is more of an experience meeting the ICON in person, thanking him for the years of enjoyment with this character and shaking his hand.

Thanks for sharing

I agree with Tnerb, keep the journals coming. I hadn't seen this cover before. Why does Spidey have webbing in his face? Oh wait, that's Stan's signature. Regardless of where he signed it though, it's still very cool to have, especially when you had the opportunity to see him in person. Unfortunately he wasn't able to make the Amazing AZ Con this year so I had to mail in the signatures for my books (haven't got those back yet). Maybe someday I'll get to meet him. One can only hope.

sig.jpg

Surfer, I sent this to dwc hoping it was in time for Arizona. I don't know exactly what dwc did but they got it done and quick. The actual sign date is in February, so the time at cgc was short. No this was not fast tracked. I hope you get to meet him. It was an awesome experience.

Not as boring as i thought it would be. :)

I think Stan Lee's signature is highly appropiate given as you said, he did co-create Spider-Man/Peter Parker and since this landmark issue marked "the end"of PP it is only the more fitting.

Just to be clear... not all the posts are boring... but they have become rather redundant of late. How often can we get thrilled from reading about grading and wait times or the occasional odd piece.

But it appears some posters don't like honest criticisms... even though many of them will freely give them out and expect nothing but sympathy and support in return.

From my experience here, i've seen both sides of it. But that's the way it should be. Life happens and we all have opinions, and journals will provoke passions at times and spark controversy at others.

But in the long run i hope no one takes it personally.

There's more to life than comics.

SW3D

No worries... there's only love and peace in my heart... so don't worry.

And even if you did... that's okay too... because in the end we're all friends... and like good friends we're sometimes going to disagree but in the end we still remain friends.

Life's too short to think otherwise.

Happy Collecting and Keep Posting!

SW3D