• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Adventures #1 - Origin of Dr. Droom 1961

35 posts in this topic

Seeing how it has the first costumed hero in Silver Age Marvel,its at least a semi-key.Dr Droom was reintoduced into and became team leader of the Avengers in the mid-80s. Its not an easy book to figure as supply seems to outstrip demand.HG copies seem to fly but not a lot of mid-grade collectors seem to bother with it. I don't think its a great investment standing alone. A complete run may generate more interest. At 50% guide,I'd certainly buy them.At 80% guide,I'd most likely pass.

Though,i must admit,I can't recall seeing an entire run for sale together.

Overstreet says $218 in VG
If you can get for less than $200 then I would say it was a good deal. The only real key about it is that it is a number one issue from 1961. The content is not special enough to warrant any particular attention.

Until that Dr. Droom movie kicks into production... insane.gif

Seeing how it has the first costumed hero in Silver Age Marvel,its at least a semi-key.Dr Droom was reintoduced into and became team leader of the Avengers in the mid-80s. Its not an easy book to figure as supply seems to outstrip demand.HG copies seem to fly but not a lot of mid-grade collectors seem to bother with it. I don't think its a great investment standing alone. A complete run may generate more interest. At 50% guide,I'd certainly buy them.At 80% guide,I'd most likely pass.

As someone who collects pre-hero books, I'd agree with shadrock's assessment. I wouldn't invest in it for monetary return, especially a low grade copy. They aren't common, but they're out there in low grade. If it was one of the highest graded copies out there, then I'd grab it because pre-hero stuff is TOUGH to find in high grade. Any high grade copies of Amazing Adventures (#1 - 6) or Amazing Adult Fantasy (#7 - 14) will bring prices far above guide.

But it's an important book from the Marvel historical sense for all the reasons the others have noted. It's also very interesting and fun to see the similarities in the origin of Dr. Droom compared to Dr. Strange.

And despite what the guide says, I also bought my VG copy for less than $200.

Sorry for the confusion. Not enough sleep last night.

Some of you guys are really good, I mean how many people can pull Dr. Droom pics out of their arse in a matter of minutes . I'm humbled

Hey, don't overlook us DC guys, we can do some pretty amazing things too! stooges.gif

As someone who collects pre-hero books, I'd agree with shadrock's assessment. I wouldn't invest in it for monetary return, especially a low grade copy. They aren't common, but they're out there in low grade. If it was one of the highest graded copies out there, then I'd grab it because pre-hero stuff is TOUGH to find in high grade. Any high grade copies of Amazing Adventures (#1 - 6) or Amazing Adult Fantasy (#7 - 14) will bring prices far above guide.

But it's an important book from the Marvel historical sense for all the reasons the others have noted. It's also very interesting and fun to see the similarities in the origin of Dr. Droom compared to Dr. Strange.

Just my two cents on this one: It is not a "Pre-hero" book, as it is Marvel Comics first super hero attempt in the Silver Age. It doesn't get credit for begining the Silver Age, Fantastic Four # 1 gets that credit(for Marvel, that is). It's a little bit like in the DC world; Showcase # 4 begins the Silver Age, but some have considerd Detective # 225, the first apperance of Martian Manhunter, as the begining.

To me the book is very under-valued and worth picking up. Just MHO.

Just my two cents on this one: It is not a "Pre-hero" book, as it is Marvel Comics first super hero attempt in the Silver Age. It doesn't get credit for begining the Silver Age, Fantastic Four # 1 gets that credit(for Marvel, that is). It's a little bit like in the DC world; Showcase # 4 begins the Silver Age, but some have considerd Detective # 225, the first apperance of Martian Manhunter, as the begining.

To me the book is very under-valued and worth picking up. Just MHO.

Amazing Adventures is the first "hero" to appear in costume.The FF wear only civilian clothes in issue #1.

I agree the book seems to be undervalued,but there is no rush to pick up VG copies.Seems like the same people who are trying to get full VG guide value this year also had them at guide last year when they were cheaper.

Amazing Adventures is the first "hero" to appear in costume.The FF wear only civilian clothes in issue #1.

I agree the book seems to be undervalued,but there is no rush to pick up VG copies.Seems like the same people who are trying to get full VG guide value this year also had them at guide last year when they were cheaper.

Thanks, that was my point. I agree this is a great book, and a key in the Marvel history, and worth picking up just to read it, but I wouldn't buy a VG copy as an investment.