• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Trek Into Darkness

383 posts in this topic

I finally got to see this film, I enjoyed it for what it was. I give it 4 out of 5.

Great thrill ride.

i just got back from seeing it. couldn't agree more. i've never seen an episode of the show or any of the non-Abrams movies but have really liked his two. i think it was a benefit to not being wrapped up in Trek-iness that enabled me to enjoy it for what it was, escapist entertainment.

I finally got to see this film, I enjoyed it for what it was. I give it 4 out of 5.

Great thrill ride.

i just got back from seeing it. couldn't agree more. i've never seen an episode of the show or any of the non-Abrams movies but have really liked his two. i think it was a benefit to not being wrapped up in Trek-iness that enabled me to enjoy it for what it was, escapist entertainment.

I have to disagree ( with all the pro Star Trek group)

This movie was only good if you were born in 1990 or later and had no idea who or what Star Trek was all about.

Complaint #1 - Uhura was all over the ship. She was on the elevator. In the hall way. In the shuttle craft. On the planet. In the bathroom. In Spocks quarters. WTF.... its a freakin MILITARY CRAFT and she should have been AT HER POST !!! Sitting in her chair, at her post, monitoring space communications !! Not kissing Spock every chance she gets. :frustrated:

Great thrill ride.

This movie was only good if you were born in 1990 or later and had no idea who or what Star Trek was all about.

Complaint #1 - Uhura was all over the ship. She was on the elevator. In the hall way. In the shuttle craft. On the planet. In the bathroom. In Spocks quarters. WTF.... its a freakin MILITARY CRAFT and she should have been AT HER POST !!! Sitting in her chair, at her post, monitoring space communications !! Not kissing Spock every chance she gets. :frustrated:

which is exactly what i said. IM3 sucked donkey scrote because i was expecting Tony Stark to be Tony Stark not James Bond Jr.

Great thrill ride.

which is exactly what i said. IM3 sucked donkey scrote because i was expecting Tony Stark to be Tony Stark not James Bond Jr.

(thumbs u

Great thrill ride.

Eric Bana :shy:

Kidding. I agree.

Great thrill ride.

Not just her, but almost everyone who had to move about the ship did so nearly instantaneously. Was it established in the reboot that starships are military craft? It's always been stressed in the other series, since TOS, that they are not.

Great thrill ride.

Not just her, but almost everyone who had to move about the ship did so nearly instantaneously. Was it established in the reboot that starships are military craft? It's always been stressed in the other series, since TOS, that they are not.

They better be military, cuz I've never heard a starship captain say, lets move away from this area and let the military handle it :)

Great thrill ride.

They better be military, cuz I've never heard a starship captain say, lets move away from this area and let the military handle it :)

Well, Captain Kirk made it clear in the original series that his starship was not a military vessel. I think the implication is that the Federation isn't a military alliance at all, but I'm not versed in the whole Star Trek universe. Even in the most recent movie, there's a clear visual distinction between the two types of starships. There's no doubt which one is military.

Great thrill ride.

Well, Captain Kirk made it clear in the original series that his starship was not a military vessel. I think the implication is that the Federation isn't a military alliance at all, but I'm not versed in the whole Star Trek universe. Even in the most recent movie, there's a clear visual distinction between the two types of starships. There's no doubt which one is military.

I always thought the show was patterned after the navy, or probably the Air Force. The ships after all have captains, Lieutenants, Commanders and even Admirals which are all military ranks. I'm sure the producers today would try to downplay that idea as much as they could, but it seems pretty apparent to me. Roddenberry joined the Air Force during WWII and flew 89 missions (according to wiki) so military was certainly in his experience.

Anyone ever read a biography by or about Roddenberry ? Maybe he says

Really enjoyed Into Darkness. :applause: Bottomline, it left me wanting the next adventure. Movies 1 and 2 are both pre-five-year-mission, so the franchise is now poised to "take off". :ohnoez:

And it had me flashing way back to a favorite old Star Trek novel, which was an unexpected treat. The movie shared some of the same plot elements.

dreadnought01.png

Great thrill ride.

I always thought the show was patterned after the navy, or probably the Air Force. The ships after all have captains, Lieutenants, Commanders and even Admirals which are all military ranks. I'm sure the producers today would try to downplay that idea as much as they could, but it seems pretty apparent to me. Roddenberry joined the Air Force during WWII and flew 89 missions (according to wiki) so military was certainly in his experience.

Anyone ever read a biography by or about Roddenberry ? Maybe he says

The rank structure they use is distinctly U.S. Navy. (I've often wondered why there are only officer ranks, though.) Given that, I was a little surprised when I watched the episode with the non-military mention. I saw an episode of Star Trek Voyager where they re-iterated the same idea, that Federation starships are not warships or attack vessels.

Really enjoyed Into Darkness. :applause: Bottomline, it left me wanting the next adventure. Movies 1 and 2 are both pre-five-year-mission, so the franchise is now poised to "take off". :ohnoez:

I keep forgetting that. Although I have not seen the second movie yet, I look forward to picking up the DVD when it comes out. Loved the first movie!

The wife and I snuck out long enough this afternoon to finally see it, some six weeks after it opened. Overall, I thought it was a fast-paced, fun, space adventure. Certainly an excellent take on the old material, but with its own distinctive flair.

However, the theatre experience today reminded me why I spent a good chunk of change on a nice HDTV and home theatre system. The theatre screen was too small, the sound system is outdated, the film was out of focus at times, the seats were uncomfortable, and worst of all, a few other patrons were just rude and talked throughout the movie. Seems like buying/renting the Blu Ray is really the way to go, especially since it costs about as much (or less) as two tickets and concessions nowadays.