• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water Damage

10 posts in this topic

Ok, I was looking in the OGG today (not too terribly hard) and couldn't find mention of water damage and water stains. So the questions up for debate are...

How much does a water stain (just a stain, let's say, 1" diameter on the back cover) kill a book? Would you knock a VF/NM book down to a FN (maybe VG/FN)? How about a FN book -- down to VG-?

How much for water damage (where there is warping)?

Just curious to here how other do this.

My understanding is that a book with water damage and warping can achieve the highest grade of 6.0. Assuming it is otherwise perfect.

In other words, keep water away from your comics. 893whatthe.gif

It all depends...

Are the staples rusty?

That makes it worse...

Are the pages affected?

That makes it worse...

Is there discoloration?

That makes it worse...

Is it greggy water damage?

That makes it much worse... smirk.gif

My understanding is that a book with water damage and warping can achieve the highest grade of 6.0. Assuming it is otherwise perfect.

In other words, keep water away from your comics. 893whatthe.gif

Just for the record, I hate water stains and water damage. They are ugly and really bother the heck out of me. But that's just my personal pet peeve.

What I usually do for VF and higher books with a water stain (like that one on that IM 13) is knock it down to FN. If the stain is really small I might go FN/VF.

If it's actual water damage (w/ warping) I will drop it down to VG for VF and higher or GD/VG for FN to VF.

Anyway, thanks for the opinions. I'm just curious to see how others see it.