• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Avengers #1-#6 all to have variant cover editions...

49 posts in this topic

You know what,Mr. Lock:

Over lunch the other day,your name came up in a discussion of forumites and I said I was under the impression you were a young naive kid. Others told me I was wrong and you were just an A-hole. I'm beginning to believe them.

It takes a special kind of person to be on the wrong side of both MK and myself.

The subsequent issues have no bearing on how many number one issues are being ordered. As long as each order is 95% of the previous order, each LCS is able to obtain varaints.

I'm not sure an entire paragraph can be considered an oxymoron,but that has to be pretty close.

If the order needs to be 95% of the previous order,that in and of itself means there is an absolute relationship between issues,unless you really expect dealers to increase their orders as the series continues. Is this what you are trying to say? That a dealer can order 50 copies of #1 and 300 #5s?If it is,you are correct. A dealer can do this. Of course,certain economic factors,such as having to sell the product might just

enter into the equation.

If the order needs to be 95% of the previous order,that in and of itself means there is an absolute relationship between issues,unless you really expect dealers to increase their orders as the series continues. Is this what you are trying to say? That a dealer can order 50 copies of #1 and 300 #5s?If it is,you are correct. A dealer can do this. Of course,certain economic factors,such as having to sell the product might just

enter into the equation.

thumbsup2.gif

CRC

You know what,Mr. Lock:

Over lunch the other day,your name came up in a discussion of forumites and I said I was under the impression you were a young naive kid. Others told me I was wrong and you were just an A-hole. I'm beginning to believe them.

It takes a special kind of person to be on the wrong side of both MK and myself.

He's probably a Red Sox fan.

Ever studied sequential math? Issue 1 is X,the number of variants you'll recieve for issue 2 is based on ordering 95% of your orders on issue 1. Your order on issue 3 needs to be 86% of issue 1 in order to get the same amounts of variants.

Since I won't be buying these books anyway, I just thought I'd point out the math mistake

in your comment about making math mistakes.

Issue 1 is X.

Issue 2 is at least 0.95X.

Issue 3 is at least 0.9025X. (95% of 95% is 90.25%.)

You used "86%" in your quote for issue #3. 86% is correct for issue #4.

At any rate, a SMART dealer

(who assumes the later variants are going to be EXTREMELY valuable)

would buy exactly as many copies of #1 as he PLANS to buy for #2.

Assume that every other dealer in the world will do a good job ordering #1...

so there's no need to worry much about the #1 variants.

"Bite the bullet" immediately on #1 and you can set

your own quantities for #2 - #6 without worry.

IMO-, A smart dealer will order exactly how many New Avengers #1 that he needs,regardless of any BS incentive program and move on. This will be one of several Marvel #1s that month,the relaunch of a middling title that has been losing audience share steadily for several years.A single popular arc doesn't change any of that.

Tying up hundreds or thousands of dollars in unnessecary material is completely contary to the lean and mean business model that most shops have adapted to.Given the risk/reward ratio,I am curious to see how shops order this.

IMO-, A smart dealer will order exactly how many New Avengers #1 that he needs,regardless of any BS incentive program and move on. This will be one of several Marvel #1s that month,the relaunch of a middling title that has been losing audience share steadily for several years.A single popular arc doesn't change any of that.

Tying up hundreds or thousands of dollars in unnessecary material is completely contary to the lean and mean business model that most shops have adapted to.Given the risk/reward ratio,I am curious to see how shops order this.

Given that the variant rate is 19-to-1, or "buy 20 books and one is a variant"...

then all the dealer has to do is sell the variants for 20+ times his cost.

The other 19 issues can be sold for half price after the first week, etc.

What's the dealer's cost? $2 an issue? Sell the variants for $50.

You know what,Mr. Lock:

Everyone is on the wrong side of MK, so your point is again lame. You are a , so who cares what you think. 893censored-thumb.gif

The subsequent issues have no bearing on how many number one issues are being ordered. As long as each order is 95% of the previous order, each LCS is able to obtain varaints.

I'm not sure an entire paragraph can be considered an oxymoron,but that has to be pretty close.

enter into the equation.

shad, why do you insist on making things complex.

this was your post earlier:

Now,however, he needs to keep in mind that to get variants on 2 thru 6,he needs to keep his orders as low as possible on #1,as he must hit 95% of that mark to qualify.

From this statement it infers that Issues 2-6 need to be 95% of the order of Issue #1. Which is not true, and is what I have trying to get through to you. However you seem to want spar with me rather than see where you err. Which isn't helped by having MK back you up.

However you seem to want spar with me rather than see where you err. Which isn't helped by having MK back you up.

How am I backing him up? By pointing out the fact that you're the intellectual equivalent of a retarded rhinocerous but lacking its nobility and charm?

Besides, Shad knows I can't stand his Yankee-lovin' arse! 893applaud-thumb.gif

When do the foil/holo/acetate covers start again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They already did with Avengers 500 Directors Cut.

...Fantastic Four 500 Directors Cut. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Supreme Power 1 Special Edition 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That was just a normal cover. The Avengers cover was foil, or at least really, really shiny silver.

However you seem to want spar with me rather than see where you err. Which isn't helped by having MK back you up.

Besides, Shad knows I can't stand his Yankee-lovin' arse! 893applaud-thumb.gif

For once you make sense. thumbsup2.gif

Given that the variant rate is 19-to-1, or "buy 20 books and one is a variant"...

then all the dealer has to do is sell the variants for 20+ times his cost.

The other 19 issues can be sold for half price after the first week, etc.

What's the dealer's cost? $2 an issue? Sell the variants for $50.

Mr. Man,

Using your amazing data base,could you pull up the number of times a variant that is as common as this one has sold for $50. Does anyone have any clue how large the market for a $50 variant of an Avenges relaunch will be?

"All he has to do is sell the variants for 20+ times his cost- How many shops do you think even have a base that will buy 50 New Avengers #1? I'm guesstimating less than a third of Diamond accounts can sell thru 50 copies,and by issue 6 I doubt a quarter of the shiops will be selling 50 copies.

You people seem to think that LCSs have some bottomless pockets that they can just up and order thousands of dollars of material and pay for it up front,sell it at cost down the road and somehow stay in business.

When it was anounced that there was to be a New Avengers series,most forumites responded either with a sleeping.gif

or with outright disdain. Its one title,in a very busy month. Why would/should dealers break their bank just to have some fairly common variants of a historicly slow selling book?

Would anyone like to publicly state what they think copies of the variant will be selling for ten days after they hit the street?

"All he has to do is sell the variants for 20+ times his cost- How many shops do you think even have a base that will buy 50 New Avengers #1? I'm guesstimating less than a third of Diamond accounts can sell thru 50 copies,and by issue 6 I doubt a quarter of the shiops will be selling 50 copies.

20 copies. I said 20 copies.

What I said was... sell the variant for enough money to cover the cost of the other 19 regulars.

If you sell ONE book, the variant... and cover your costs for all 20...

Then you can blow out the 19 regular editions at any price you want. $0.50. etc.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You know what,Mr. Lock:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He's probably a Red Sox fan.

Nah, this has Yankmees written all over it.

CRC

When do the foil/holo/acetate covers start again? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

They already did with Avengers 500 Directors Cut.

...Fantastic Four 500 Directors Cut. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Supreme Power 1 Special Edition 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That was just a normal cover. The Avengers cover was foil, or at least really, really shiny silver.

Ahh...Yes... I see now where I failed the analogy part of the exam 893scratchchin-thumb.gifsmile.gif