• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will come after Modern?

56 posts in this topic

I don't know if anyone has already started a thread about this already, but my question goes as followed: Golden, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Modern, _______?

Digital age.

In its infancy right now.

+1

In 10 years' time, I personally believe that the only print comic books that will be made are going to be novelty/collectibility only, with no large print runs. Monthly titles will all be digital by then.

Nailing down the beginning of the Digital Age will be interesting, probably endlessly debated.

Would it be when ComiXology came online?

Maybe it began when all the major publishers joined forces to shut down that mega-popular online "comic book library" reading site?

Or did it begin much further back than that, with the "DCP digital comics preservation" movement?

I think it'll be the first major title to be published only in digital format - like when The Walking Dead or Amazing Spider-Man goes all digital, no more printing. I think that will be such a monumental event, it will be a defining moment for the age.

Right now, we have the best of both - I think the Digital Age can only truly start when a large group of readers will be forced to embrace the new format or go on without reading it. And it has to be a major title to really make an impact.

In 10 years' time, I personally believe that the only print comic books that will be made are going to be novelty/collectibility only, with no large print runs. Monthly titles will all be digital by then.

I seriously wonder why publishers don't work that novelty/collectible angle right now, today. (shrug) They have to be aware of the aftermarket. Seems like a no-brainer to tap it themselves.

Why they don't just 'slab-&-label' a small percentage as "Uncirculated" is a mystery. Entombed right off the wellhead, unbreathed on exemplars for pre-order, wall safe ready.

I don't know if anyone has already started a thread about this already, but my question goes as followed: Golden, Silver, Bronze, Copper, Modern, _______?

Will Modern always remain Modern? In about 20-30 years will their be a "Tin Age" or a "Iron Age" :bump:

Interested in what it will be like when I'm finally old and too decrepit to read this :cry:

The 'diamond age?' Actually, we would have to name the current modern age first...then have a massive debate about when that age began and when it ended. Given that the exact dates of the bronze age are still in dispute I do not see this happening any time soon.

"Modern" is the Age name which makes less sense. At least up to Copper they referred to metals, but "Modern" requires some association, and eventually "Modern" can’t remain modern, as it will pass.

Labels are enough misleading, don’t think about them beforehand.

Bad Journalism and bad use of informatization turned history into "instant chronicle"… :P