• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Green Eggs Grading Contest Round 6

93 posts in this topic

WOW! Different kind of tear to my eye...gotta bullseye! Was gonna go 6.5 on the detached staple book but in my mind figure FN is the line...i.e., can't get better than a 5.5 on a detached staple blue label grade...who knows? (shrug)

Gawd, I had a 4.0 for the second one and kept looking at comparable books and took it down to a freakin 3.0. Its hard to find examples of a 4.0 with a chunk that size out of the front...

Was gonna go 6.5 on the detached staple book but in my mind figure FN is the line...i.e., can't get better than a 5.5 on a detached staple blue label grade...who knows? (shrug)

That was my logic too. Ouch! Live and learn.

If I bought a blue label 6.5 with no label notes and discovered a popped staple, I'd be one unhappy camper.

Gawd, I had a 4.0 for the second one and kept looking at comparable books and took it down to a freakin 3.0. Its hard to find examples of a 4.0 with a chunk that size out of the front...

My initial thought was actually a 4.5, but I gave it a 3.5 based on the chuck missing from front cover.

Was gonna go 6.5 on the detached staple book but in my mind figure FN is the line...i.e., can't get better than a 5.5 on a detached staple blue label grade...who knows? (shrug)

That was my logic too. Ouch! Live and learn.

If I bought a blue label 6.5 with no label notes and discovered a popped staple, I'd be one unhappy camper.

Same here, I thought it was a 7.0 to 7.5 without the staple flaw,and had it at 5.5. Likewise on the Startling Comics. I could not go higher than 3.5 with that piece out of the corner. At least I'm back to under grading books as usual.

I'll take the 5 points for the first book, but tape and a missing chunk had me at 3.5 for the second.

I'll file round 6 under 'coulda been worse' and move on to misgrading the round 7 books.

My initial thought was actually a 4.5, but I gave it a 3.5 based on the chuck missing from front cover.

Me as well. If anything this contest is revealing that CGC isn't the most consistent. The Daredevil 1 of a few rounds ago is case in point. Compare it to other DD #1's of similar grade, compare it to other 1.0 and 1.5 books and I am baffled how it got 2.5.

Ah well...

I thought back to Book 3 Black Knight #1 grading at 5.0 with a similar, slightly smaller piece out of LRFC and this one a tad larger with a tad more general wear (go back and take a look) and dropped a 1/2 grade to 4.5. Voila...bullseye! (thumbs u