• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poisoned Chalice Part 13: More Angela, More Courtrooms, and Much More Todd

42 posts in this topic

Ouch!

These articles are definitely making me not care for Todd McFarlane.

Why not post all these articles in the one thread you started?

Poisoned Chalice: The Extremely Long and Incredibly Complex Story of Marvelman

Then someone new to this information can easily find all the links.

(shrug)

:foryou:

I think what it shows to me is someone that absolutely can't take no for an answer. Which is why he got where he got, but also why he's acting like an azzhole and publishing characters he doesn't have rights to and all that jazz.

His greatest strength, his greatest weakness.

I think what it shows to me is someone that absolutely can't take no for an answer. Which is why he got where he got, but also why he's acting like an azzhole and publishing characters he doesn't have rights to and all that jazz.

hm

That's a really good point. It's like in business when you have some folks that are great troubleshooters when things get bad. But when they have idle time, they are horrible to deal with, and you wish you could lock them in a room with the door stating "BREAK GLASS ONLY - AND I MEAN ONLY - WHEN NEEDED".

:ohnoez:

Ouch!

(shrug)

Nothing personal to Bronty, who is a McFarlane supporter :foryou:...

I think he doesn't take no for an answer because he has stumbled onto the age-old assclown mentality that it costs money to use lawyers and if he has more money than his adversary, he can tie it up endlessly - despite the fact he is in the wrong.

At this point, these articles paint McFarlane's professional demeanor in a very similar light to Rob Liefeld's (who is arguably the most unethical artist I've ever read about in comics), except with more zeros in his bank account.

While I'm sure there are plenty of seedy stories from the underbelly of the comic world - I find artists ripping off other artists and creators patently disappointing.

Ouch!

(shrug)

I'm generally a lazy poster. lol

But it's a good idea!

Ouch!

(shrug)

Don't put words in my mouth please. I'm perfectly capable of expressing my own thoughts without your "assistance." I like todd in some ways and in some ways not, as I've stated.

Ouch!

(shrug)

I think he doesn't take no for an answer because he has stumbled onto the age-old assclown mentality that it costs money to use lawyers and if he has more money than his adversary, he can tie it up endlessly - despite the fact he is in the wrong.

At this point, these articles paint McFarlane's professional demeanor in a very similar light to Rob Liefeld's (who is arguably the most unethical artist I've ever read about in comics), except with more zeros in his bank account.

While I'm sure there are plenty of seedy stories from the underbelly of the comic world - I find artists ripping off other artists and creators patently disappointing.

Todd's a money whore with no ethics. Plain and simple.

Ouch!

(shrug)

I'm generally a lazy poster. lol

But it's a good idea!

lol

hm

That's a really good point. It's like in business when you have some folks that are great troubleshooters when things get bad. But when they have idle time, they are horrible to deal with, and you wish you could lock them in a room with the door stating "BREAK GLASS ONLY - AND I MEAN ONLY - WHEN NEEDED".

:ohnoez:

I think Todd jumped into the deep end of the pool and wasn't prepared for how deep it really was when he helped found Image. He probably looks back now and realizes why business was and has to be so cut throat. His issue though is that he constantly opens his mouth and lets his arrogance show. 20 years ago I think that arrogance stood out in contrast to Marvel and DC. I bought into his schtick back then when I was a teenager. Now he seems more like DC and Marvel.

I loved his Spider Man and Spawn personified my comic collecting in the early 90's, but this legal mess with Gaiman and how he handled it just disappoints me.

I loved his Spider Man and Spawn personified my comic collecting in the early 90's, but this legal mess with Gaiman and how he handled it just disappoints me.

1hhnq.jpg

via Imgflip Meme Maker

Don't put words in my mouth please. I'm perfectly capable of expressing my own thoughts without your "assistance." I like todd in some ways and in some ways not, as I've stated.

:eyeroll: So much for trying to cordial.

In your words, you come off as very supportive. As we have experienced before, you and I read the same things differently. To me, the definition of "supportive" is providing sympathy or encouragement in the face of popular conventional opinion. To you, the definition of "supportive" might mean "bologna sandwich" or a type of automobile.

No one is putting words in your mouth. They are clearly already there.

He comes across as anything but inarticulate.

He oozes the qualities that make you a success in life.

I'm glad there's at least a couple people in this thread without miniscule penises... But one cant call the guy stupid.

And certainly virtually everyone would take the position that his writing is terrible.

Let me tell you a story about that. He was just blowing up and being local was at a con jere and had a line like three blocks long. I was 13,14 maybe? and had a table selling a few books. The line was kind in front of my table. He got up and had the line of hindreds and people moved to a better location so there would be free access to this 13 year old's 5 and 10 dollar books. When he says in the interview that he treats the end consumers of his product well man he isnt kidding. It didnt even occur to me to complain about the line. He noticed that on his own and did something about it. If you can be the king of the comics world at the time and still pay attention to little details like whether a little kid is being shorted slightly on his con experience, man you have a type of awareness and a level of care that the great majority do not have.

That's pretty supportive discussion right there, with the exception of your comment about his writing. You and Socko are the only two people who have taken the Pro-McFarlane viewpoint in these threads, so naturally - you're going to come off as "supportive", even if you chose to deny the definition of the word. No one is trying to single you out to start a flame war, I was merely extending a caveat to our conversation from the other thread and you took offense to it.

:eyeroll: So much for trying to cordial.

In your words, you come off as very supportive. As we have experienced before, you and I read the same things differently. To me, the definition of "supportive" is providing sympathy or encouragement in the face of popular conventional opinion. To you, the definition of "supportive" might mean "bologna sandwich" or a type of automobile.

No one is putting words in your mouth. They are clearly already there.

He comes across as anything but inarticulate.

He oozes the qualities that make you a success in life.

I'm glad there's at least a couple people in this thread without miniscule penises... But one cant call the guy stupid.

And certainly virtually everyone would take the position that his writing is terrible.

Let me tell you a story about that. He was just blowing up and being local was at a con jere and had a line like three blocks long. I was 13,14 maybe? and had a table selling a few books. The line was kind in front of my table. He got up and had the line of hindreds and people moved to a better location so there would be free access to this 13 year old's 5 and 10 dollar books. When he says in the interview that he treats the end consumers of his product well man he isnt kidding. It didnt even occur to me to complain about the line. He noticed that on his own and did something about it. If you can be the king of the comics world at the time and still pay attention to little details like whether a little kid is being shorted slightly on his con experience, man you have a type of awareness and a level of care that the great majority do not have.

That's pretty supportive discussion right there, with the exception of your comment about his writing. You and Socko are the only two people who have taken the Pro-McFarlane viewpoint in these threads, so naturally - you're going to come off as "supportive", even if you chose to deny the definition of the word.

Did someone take over your account? Seems familiar.

hm

Did someone take over your account? Seems familiar.

hm

Please tell me that isn't a CAL comparison. lol

lol

Oh no. CAL at least never did that to me or anyone I witnessed.

Oh good. Well, in hindsight, it's a pretty rambling post :blush:

Fine. To be clear though I am neutral on todd, the person. I mean even called him an azzhole in my last post? Saying he has qualities that make you a success is NOT the same as saying he is a nice guy or one I lend my support to. Perhaps in being neutral i am the only one you guys on team negative can attack since there doesnt seem to be anybody on team positive. :).

Let me be clear. I am saying that is the article and so on show me a super dominant type a personality. Makes you a success in life because you run right over others. Also makes you an azzhole because, well, you run right over others.

What I was getting at from the beginning is that you shouldnt mistake a particular personality type for stupidity. And you shouldnt mistake my seeing the good and the bad in todd as being his cheerleader. :foryou: