• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blue Label Signature Series X-Men #1 9.0???

20 posts in this topic

Since it wasn't witnessed (and didn't get Yellow) did the submitter have the option to take the blue label (and also the grade drop for the writing on the cover) or they could have taken a green label and received a higher grade?

The book looks like a 9.0 or so doesnt it?

I would have thought if they were going to let the name on cover affect the grade it would have dropped a grade down into the 8ish territory.

The book looks like a 9.0 or so doesnt it?

I would have thought if they were going to let the name on cover affect the grade it would have dropped a grade down into the 8ish territory.

hm.. I agree about the fact it doesn't look as if the grade was dropped for writing on the cover. Just trying to figure out if that is how it would normally work.

its almost like they treated it like an OO marking (when some kid signed his books) or a shop stamp (and didnt downgrade the book).

and then they followed their usual procedure of noting names they can identify on the label.

This isn't the first time an issue like this has been brought up.

It always catches my attention, then never really seems to get properly explained :sorry:;

Is it simply an error or oversight by CGC (i.e. should have been green)?

Did it receive a grade drop and really only drop to a 9.0 because the signature looks nice and is well placed, talk about subjective interpretation? (shrug)

Is it being treated like a date stamp?

I think most of us have old books with 'unwitnessed' signatures on them that we'd love to see treated as gently as this one by graders...and there could be a very rational explaination for it...I've just not seen it.

'Tis odd to say the least and yet examples like it appear to crop up a few times a year...mysteriously.

I'd love to see the formal answer so we'd all at least know where the grading 'line in the sand' is, for how books like this get addressed in the evaluation process.

This would also be nice to know in case one submits a similar book one can get a similiar outcome if meeting these standards. (thumbs u

It would be illumitaing and answer this pesky semi-rare question that percolates every now and again in the signature world. Drives me nuts every time I see this issue and can't figure it out myself.

This isn't the first time an issue like this has been brought up.

It always catches my attention, then never really seems to get properly explained :sorry:;

Is it simply an error or oversight by CGC (i.e. should have been green)?

Did it receive a grade drop and really only drop to a 9.0 because the signature looks nice and is well placed, talk about subjective interpretation? (shrug)

Is it being treated like a date stamp?

I think most of us have old books with 'unwitnessed' signatures on them that we'd love to see treated as gently as this one by graders...and there could be a very rational explaination for it...I've just not seen it.

'Tis odd to say the least and yet examples like it appear to crop up a few times a year...mysteriously.

I'd love to see the formal answer so we'd all at least know where the grading 'line in the sand' is, for how books like this get addressed in the evaluation process.

This would also be nice to know in case one submits a similar book one can get a similiar outcome if meeting these standards. (thumbs u

It would be illumitaing and answer this pesky semi-rare question that percolates every now and again in the signature world. Drives me nuts every time I see this issue and can't figure it out myself.

So ... what you're saying is that you missed all the other threads where this issue was brought up & explained? :)

There is no mystery & there's nothing odd going on - the submitter chose to put a book with an unverified sig in a blue label and took the grade hit; just like Balent posted a couple of posts above yours.

The book would have to be downgraded for the unwitnessed sig.

It is pretty sketchy if you think about it, but even more so is the grade the book got. I have 9.0's that are in much better shape than that. Great eye appeal, but it looks around an 8.0-8.5 to me.

Yeah I thought there were enough visible spine ticks as well as what appears to be a 1/2 inch or more rip on the side without the spine on the front cover. I was thinking7.5 to 8.5 myself.

Completly amature / laymen point of view by me and perhaps ill-informed as well. It just does not appear as if the book took a downgrade due to signature, just judging conservatively from the picture, which is to me just a bit unusual.

Because of that I was wondering if there was another explaination, as Sean posted earlier, not sure if he was kidding or not, but the location and look of the signature fits that cover great.

Can that actually impact grading?

Is there a rather predictable standard deduction for an unverified signature?

(like one usually expects with color breaking spine stress or rips in the cover)

Is there less of a deduction if the sig looks pretty and is in a great location?

Thats all I'm trying to figure out...always been curious about the ins and outs of grading especially in semi-uncommon situations like this example.

Completly amature / laymen point of view by me and perhaps ill-informed as well. It just does not appear as if the book took a downgrade due to signature, just judging conservatively from the picture, which is to me just a bit unusual.

It did.

Because of that I was wondering if there was another explaination, as Sean posted earlier, not sure if he was kidding or not, but the location and look of the signature fits that cover great.

Can that actually impact grading?

Is there a rather predictable standard deduction for an unverified signature?

(like one usually expects with color breaking spine stress or rips in the cover)

Is there less of a deduction if the sig looks pretty and is in a great location?

Seeing that the signature is treated as a defect, the grade drop you're going to see is going to be dependent on the size and type of signature. This is a small pen signature, so the grade drop will be much smaller than one done in a big ol' black sharpie.

It is pretty sketchy if you think about it, but even more so is the grade the book got. I have 9.0's that are in much better shape than that. Great eye appeal, but it looks around an 8.0-8.5 to me.

Yeah I thought there were enough visible spine ticks as well as what appears to be a 1/2 inch or more rip on the side without the spine on the front cover. I was thinking7.5 to 8.5 myself.

Please sell me any SA keys you own in this condition - I'll gladly pay full 7.5 GPA :wishluck: