• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

100% unrestored??

6 posts in this topic

geez. heres a longtime respected dealer selling what he calls 100% unrestored.

But look at his picture ... its the last picture in the listing. Is this not obviously restored?

what is he thinking?

137839.gif.c72998688a80c1fc5c456cbee0ba8425.gif

It looks like a piece of tape.

He says "No restorations - Staples tight at the cover and centerfold but small piece of tape on inside of cover below staples. I show a close-up pic for you to see clearly. NO color touches anywhere”

By CGC's rules, I think he's correct. And he discloses the tape. (shrug)

Here's a weird case that I'm not sure what to make of. I avoided bidding just because it looks like a mistake was made somewhere - not sure where.

You have to look very carefully, but I am convinced it is the same book.

Heritage sale

"Condition: Apparent VF. [..] Restoration includes: glue on spine, staples replaced, puzzle filled in with pencil."

eBay sale

CGC 6.0 unrestored. CGC label: "1 large piece of tape on interior spine of cover. Puzzle filled out on 10th & 11th page in pencil"

Seller: "About the condition: A very nice 100% original comic book that looks nicer than the assigned technical grade. All pages are present and have no defects. No cutouts - No color touchups, No cleaning. Centerfold is tight at the staples - Puzzle filled out on 2 pages with light pencil - Some thin clear tape noted on the inside of the spine of the cover only - Overall a very pleasing FN 6.0"

You've got to be careful with the 'respected' stuff. This is the same dealer who was doing the spine realignment that caused such a fuss in Comics General. He's obviously going by CGC's new policy on tape, although I didn't think they had clarified their issue on archival tape. Regardless, the cover is loose at the top staple and would be graded accordingly.

I'd like to say that I thought I read the whole auction description. But I never read the line about tape ---- if I had, I never would have posted this thread.

I also dish t really catch on this was the same seller as the spine relocation thing. So while I misfired, maybe it wasn't totally in vain.