• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do signatures count against a grade>

26 posts in this topic

I notice cgc has many signature series comics and mags and wonder if they are graded and then reduced in grade based on the signature (or writing on cover) in other words does a signature affect the grade in the signature series (yellow label)? or would that particular mag or comic grade higher without the signature?

so having someone sign a comic is actually bad for the grade?

only way it would be bad is if it got a green (qualified) label.

(shrug) why would green be bad?

in terms of trying to resell the item, you wont get as much as a yellow label due to demand.

oh i understand that... but you had to of figured that into it, if you had it knowingly signed without a witness... that... or not planning to re-sell... i have some green labels... books i had signed prior to all this... they stay in my collection~

oh i understand that... but you had to of figured that into it, if you had it knowingly signed without a witness... that... or not planning to re-sell... i have some green labels... books i had signed prior to all this... they stay in my collection~

i think you'd be surprised by the amount of people that dont know you need a witness to get a yellow label.

i also keep the yellow in my collection as well.

I notice cgc has many signature series comics and mags and wonder if they are graded and then reduced in grade based on the signature (or writing on cover) in other words does a signature affect the grade in the signature series (yellow label)? or would that particular mag or comic grade higher without the signature?

Not this Shiat again

there's a discussion of this in this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=299228&Number=6692894#Post6692894

there's a discussion of this in this thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=299228&Number=6692894#Post6692894

oh wait that's your thread.

where you already asked the question

and it was answered

by me

"It will either get a qualified grade (default) noting that there is a name on the front [not downgrading the grade due to the signature], or a universal label (if requested) but would be downgraded for the condition because of writing (the auto) on the cover. Most people in your case go for the Qualified grade. "

Signature series is technically a "qualified" grade as well, just instead of green, it's yellow cause the signature is certified.

So a Green Label 9.8 with "Stan Lee written on cover" on the label is just as nice of a book (condition-wise, qualified by the fact that its written on) that has a Yellow Label 9.8 SS with "Signed by Stan Lee on 10/10/10" on the label.

The only difference is one signature is certified by CGC due to their witnessing the auto, while the other is not certified since it was not witnessed by CGC.

What about the philosophical aspect of this question?

If CGC downgrades for a signature, and a signed book got a 9.8 yellow label - would it get a 9.9 blue label if the same book were unsigned? hm

As long as we're asking dumb questions and repeating them…

Why do they make charcoal briquettes but not charcoal bricks?

How did they do that scene in the Ten Commandments where Ben-Hur parted the Red Sea if there was no CGI in the Bible?

Why is moldy cheddar bad but bleu cheese good?

What caused George Lucas to start making such terrible movies?

Why is it that I say I don't like Will Smith but can't think of any movie he has made that I don't like?

Who decided that the disgusting crunching sounds in Kit Kat commercials were the best way to market a candy bar that everyone on the planet already knows about?

How is it that Mickey Mouse can own a dog and have his best friend be a dog? Is that denigrating to Pluto or high praise for Goofy?

Will Vince Vaughn or John Cusack ever play a different character and not just the same guy with a different name?

What is so confusing about to, too, and two, your and you're, and there, they're, and their?

Did Werner Von Braun really say, "the rocket performed perfectly, it just hit the wrong planet" when the first V-2 hit London?

Was Shakespeare really just a hack that ripped off his works from the original Klingon?

Is Friday coming a day early this week?

What about the philosophical aspect of this question?

If CGC downgrades for a signature, and a signed book got a 9.8 yellow label - would it get a 9.9 blue label if the same book were unsigned? hm

OP has a few already signed magazines (Larry Hagman on a Mad Magazine being one) that he's trying to figure out how CGC is going to grade them since they were not signed as part of the signature series service.

Yellow labels are qualified grades too. They are just yellow cause they are Signature Series. Otherwise they'd be green.

A SS 9.8 is a book that, not considering the books been written on, is in a 9.8 condition (corners, tics, etc)

If it wasn't written on it'd be a universal 9.8

If it was written on with a CGC witness its a Yellow 9.8

It it was signed w/o a CGC witness it can be a Qualified (Green) 9.8

or

a Universal 9.0 (or whatever they downgrade the books condition to since it has writing on it).

Qualified means its a grade with some qualifications, like "missing centerfold" or MVS cut out, or Name written on cover.

(all this is for the OP edification, I think you know all this Senor Balls)