• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are these auctions real or a scam?

59 posts in this topic

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=rustysstarwars&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

This one is hard for me to figure out. The scans seem to be original. His feedback isn't that great however, and he doesn't seem to deal in comics. He starts his auction with the old I got these at an estate sale and don't know anything about comics spiel. He has three current negatives but they seem to deal with car parts and not comics. Not sure if he is for real or not and any opinions would help.

Thanks in advance,

Ericc123

I don't know either, it's a tough call. It could be that the person bought a large variety of stuff at an estate sale and is selling it all on eBay. I will say judging by the negative feedback about junk being sold, and not know anything about the CGC books, that the seller seems to know nothing about nothing that they are selling. But then again, you have to ask yourself, if they don't know anything about what they bought at this estate sale, then why did they purchase all this stuff to begin with? And what would they have paid?

I wouldn't bid on any of the auctions because of the negatives, and the limited payment options (checks or money order only). If a seller doesn't offer credit card payments, then I have no choice but to pass, because I've been burned 1 too many times!

Eric - I feel the same as you - something which I can't put my finger on doesn't seem quite right. What you could do would be to email the vendor asking for the CGC bar code on a particular issue that you are interested in. The pictures are so bad that even he could not make it out if he didn't have the books. If he answers with less than a 10 digit code he obviously doesn't have them. If he answers with a 10 digit code, although CGC will not tell you who had the comics graded I believe they will tell you from where the comics came to be graded (at least the State) - You may have to explain why you want this info. You could also ask him for a back cover scan of a book which you are familiar with the back cover - If he's lifted these scans he may not have the back covers. If he send you a scan of a Charles Atlas ad, and you know the back cover should be OJ "Show them your heels", then again that finishes that.

But even more telling was that his original listings seem to have gotten credible bids - But now that more are appearing like the CA100 CGC 9.6, they are sitting at figures, even this early, that display to me that others also have reservations.

They're fake. Look at the typeface and centering on some of the labels...they're off slightly on quite a few. Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=32747&item=2155749210

The "NM 9.4" isn't centered over the "White" pages comment. Plus, the typeface is Arial/Helvetica, which CGC doesn't use on their labels. I was gonna post a warning about this if somebody didn't beat me to it, but looks like you guys smelled something fishy outside of the fake labels.

I was looking at these auctions myself. The bids are low because it looks so suspicious. The scans looks fizzy and FF says the lettering is wrong. Looks like and smells like a scam. Stay a way. The guy gives a fishy story about finding the books and doesn't offer payment by credit card (your best security for big payments) otherwise you can kiss your money good-bye. I emailed the guy for a larger scan and CGC ID number. I bet I don't get a reply. Where is Rickdogg?

The negs are bad IMO because it was all from him being a seller. Examples:

(1) Complaint : it's been over a month still no parts.....beware

Response by rustysstarwars - (- 1 feedback)??? not a good e-bayer sent package and gave me bad feedback

(2) Complaint : Auction said works fine but received w/ wires cut, it's junk. No reply to emails

Response by rustysstarwars - NO E-MAILS SENT,ALSO TOLD HIM THAT IT NEED A CLIP AT THE END OF THE WIRES.

Follow-up by onebad5pto - Your full of it, no mention of clip! Check his feedback, he's screwing people !!

(3)Complaint : Buyer beware, add said "needs cleaned, sold as is" shld hve said unusable junk

Response by rustysstarwars - WAS ONLY DIRTY,HE TO LAZY TO CLEAN.

(4) Neutral : Goods eventually received.

Response by rustysstarwars - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE U.S. POSTAL SERVICE

Follow-up by joah-man - He demanded payment for priority and then sent them by first class a week later!

(5) Neutral : was in worse shape than desription but good transaction

Response by rustysstarwars - ITEM WAS PERFECT AND NEVER USED.YOU JUST CANT PLEASE SOME PEOPLE!

Follow-up by dorod2 - if it was perfect then y were the # wore off ??

(6)Complaint : UNPROFESSIONAL,sold star wars figures that should be in the trash.FIGS were JUNK

Response by rustysstarwars - auction clearly stated that was sold as is and ask any questions BEFORE bidding.

Noticed them late last night as i was buying some other books and I have no doubt that it is a scam. All the classic earmarks of fraud- except private auction which he will probably do next time. Goes from selling used alternators to very highgrade comics? And does not have a lot of happy car parts buyers! Fuzzy scans, most books have been on ebay or at Heritage within the last few weeks, no reserves etc. Caveat Emptor indeed!

I can not believe people have continued to bid on these books! Does anyone know any of the bidders - are they doing to try to put this guy out. I hope they don't think they are going to "win" those books - it is just like about a half dozen other scams that Ebay did nothing about last year. I almost wonder if this isn't the GreenHulk again?

Oh Robby, let the dumbasses think that they are getting a deal. Don't they realize that the current bids are way too low for books of this apparent quality? mad.gif

Well that and those bids placed and retracted by such memorable characters as "die you stupid scam artist" should give some a clue you would think! Some people are just too stupid for their own good. Why just not take a few hundred dollars and set fire to it! It would be more fun that what is going to happen with those auctions. Man I am pissed - they won't be showing 24 again this week because of our gloious leader's state of the union talk tonight which ought to be pure drivel. And no one calls me robby except Grandma Z!