• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was this the first atomic blast cover?

25 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

And it seems to be a tie between these three:

bQu9jKl.jpg

Real Life Comics #27 (January, 1946):

2xLBs0a.jpg

Science Comics #1 (January, 1946):

7Rz25JO.jpg

Worth noting that the indicia of Real LIfe 27 says 1945, not 1946, before the Atomic Bomb was dropped.  A great typo.  

But, I like Real Life 27 the best because of the cover artist and the fact that it shows the history.

16 hours ago, Electricmastro said:

I suppose I was uncertain in telling the difference between regular bombers and atom bombers then. Palais surely comes the closest in drawing a mushroom cloud, but even then, his main intention was probably just drawing an explosion that looked attention-grabbing in general. That said, makes me wonder how many pictures of an atom bomb explosion he had seen for reference though.

I would like to know when the first published pics of the A-bombs dropped on Japan were published.  That might explain why the 1945 and 1946 artists didn't seem to know what it looked like.  But, that really has nothing to do with when the Atomic Age of comics began...lol

5 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I would like to know when the first published pics of the A-bombs dropped on Japan were published.  That might explain why the 1945 and 1946 artists didn't seem to know what it looked like.  But, that really has nothing to do with when the Atomic Age of comics began...lol

Most of the early reporting in the US (thru August 12) was done by William Laurence of the NYT and released by the Army. One of the earliest mushroom cloud images was Aug 13 from London. Picture Post did a big feature in their Aug 25th issue.

95092602-54EC-4A26-84D8-A7A7239627C5.jpeg

84AE4D25-4DB4-4F87-89D3-678C6EE1C367.png

EDA96A80-83C1-4BEF-865A-1B0D457F779E.jpeg

4 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Most of the early reporting in the US (thru August 12) was done by William Laurence of the NYT and released by the Army. One of the earliest mushroom cloud images was Aug 13 from London. Picture Post did a big feature in their Aug 25th issue.

thanks.  And since they showed actual photos of the blast there was no excuse for the artists to screw up the rendition of the bomb.  I guess they were just lazy...lol  I tried to research this last night, but all I could find were 1946 images.

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

8 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

thanks.  And since they showed actual photos of the blast there was no excuse for the artists to screw up the rendition of the bomb.  I guess they were just lazy...lol  I tried to research this last night, but all I could find were 1946 images.

After July of 1946 there was absolutely no excuse, since the month long testing at Bikini during Operation Crossroads was heavily covered by the press.

36B4CB5E-4F96-4176-8267-D573F970AF00.jpeg