• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hypothetical question on cornering the market

82 posts in this topic

You should talk to Cal about how well it worked out for him when he tried to corner the IMSM #1 market :gossip:

In his defense, that was when he thought there were only 3,000 copies of that book left in all of existence hm

You joined 6 days ago and already know that much about Cal hm

You should talk to Cal about how well it worked out for him when he tried to corner the IMSM #1 market :gossip:

In his defense, that was when he thought there were only 3,000 copies of that book left in all of existence hm

hmhm

hmhm

Funny how shills either don't realise they are revealing so much, or don't care.

hm

-slym

Interesting as I have been thinking the same thing about a few of the Valiants.

I cite Eternal Warrior #4 as an example. For years no one paid attention to it. Then they redid Valiant. Many of the Valiant books were dumped into the quarter bin after the bubble burst. The remaining high grade copies were hoarded by a few of the major Valiant collectors.

When I purchased my copy of EW4 9.8 I was having a hell of a time because there were only 21 slabbed 9.8s out there. Since that time I have seen more copies added to the census but the available number of copies remain unchanged and with little to no price fluxuation indicating the possability that there are a small number controlling the supply.

Either way, I would say that TOS 48 is a great book to have and eventually people will wake up about it. I may pick up a copy myself.

IN DEFENSE, only 3,000 HIGH-GRADE still in circulation.

Things never change.

CAL :facepalm:

Must be ANOTHER ALIAS SHILL...

CAL :roflmao:

I think TOS 48 is an exception because the suit Tony wears in issues 39-47 is a world away from the one most people are familiar with.

In my opinion, Iron Man is going to be the star of the Marvel Universe for the next decade or so and TOS 48 will be regarded as a semi-key. It may be well off base here, but that's my feeling.

But for this discussion, we can substitute almost any early 1960s Marvel hero book with 100 or so slabbed HG copies.

I just have a graded 7.0 copy.

Are there any other books that garner interest due to a costume change?

I'm seriously wracking my brain to think of one....

ASM 252

I KNEW there had to be another one....

anything else?

Im just thinking that part of why this isnt as highly regarded is that costume changes (typically) arent highly regarded...

Daredevil 7

Man are you slow, I knew who it was from the jump.

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up unrestored copies. 18 9.8s, 65 9.6s, 1158 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up copies. 18 9.8s, 68 9.6s, 171 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

Between 8-9k now.

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up copies. 18 9.8s, 68 9.6s, 171 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

Between 8-9k now.

See, even better. You'd need to pay a premium to shake some out of a tree, but you could do it for $500K.

Man are you slow, I knew who it was from the jump.

I'm happy for you. You should receive a medal or something...

If you had the money, a book you could corner the market on is X-Men 94. For your same million dollars, you could buy all the 9.4 and up unrestored copies. 18 9.8s, 65 9.6s, 1158 9.4s. What does a 9.8 go for now? $25K?

A very good friend of mine in TX thought of just that. He owned 4 9.8s when there were only 7 9.8s graded.

hmhm

Funny how shills either don't realise they are revealing so much, or don't care.

hm

-slym

It's Stu. He doesn't care. He is always completely obvious. He would use "It's Stu" in his username if he could. He is not going for subterfuge.

Between 8-9k now.

See, even better. You'd need to pay a premium to shake some out of a tree, but you could do it for $500K.

So let's say you swoop them all up for $500k - what's the end game in this scenario? Re-sell them back over the span of a few years to make a profit? Or just to be a meglomaniacal douchenozzle and hoard them away?

Between 8-9k now.

You don't really need to shake all the ones that are in collections loose. The idea would be to dry up the supply available on the open market. You could treat ones in private collections as if they didn't exist.

So a syndicate fo five or six people investing 150K each could really make the market, it appears.

I'd still prefer a pre 1965 book to X-men 94 as the number of HG X-Men far exceeds the TOS, and the market for any thousand dollar book is very limited in the first place.

I have done very well when I scarfed up those IMSM's for $10.00 - $50.00, and sold them for great coin.

Still have some left, but going to get out while the getting is this good...

CAL :acclaim: