• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tips on buying your first "expensive" comic

27 posts in this topic

I agree with what everyone here is saying, its all good advice for the new collector.

I freeley admit that I used to be a label chaser in the past, only 9.8s would do. But after having an intervention of some sorts and actually looking at the books in question I have really altered my collecting focus.

I now look for books that meet the criteria I set out for myself, regardless of grade.

If the grade presented to me is low, medium or even high I will take a look if it meets my set criteria.

- do I agree with the grade (we all know we can't always go by the number in the top left!)

- well centered

- PQ, ideally not Light Tan, Brittle or in some cases Cream.

- no shop stamps or pence copies

These are some of my criteria and I have found that regardless of grade, if I look for these things I do end up with books I am generally happy with. The old days of buying a 9.8 when it had a horrid miswrap are over and I haven't looked back.

GreenLantern1.jpg

Now that's a book to be proud of. :applause:

Well the nice part is u are getting something great for your money...this is a well sought after book and probably will hold its value pretty well if you decide to sell it...I would actually say you will probably be able to sell it for more if you choose to to sell way down the road...buy what you love and can afford!!! (thumbs u

Sage advice. Though, I would add the disclaimer. "Buy what you like, and don't spend money you cannot afford. Comics can be very volatile investments."

Also, I love your sig line. Every book in it is on my want list. Every, single book...

Well the nice part is u are getting something great for your money...this is a well sought after book and probably will hold its value pretty well if you decide to sell it...I would actually say you will probably be able to sell it for more if you choose to to sell way down the road...buy what you love and can afford!!! (thumbs u

Sage advice. Though, I would add the disclaimer. "Buy what you like, and don't spend money you cannot afford. Comics can be very volatile investments."

Also, I love your sig line. Every book in it is on my want list. Every, single book...

Completely agree as well.

Only spend it if you can afford to lose it.

Worse thing to do is have comics on credit cards etc.

My only advice is...

if you are buying online (specifically eBay) and looking to spend 500+, i highly advice that you find a slabbed book. Sure you might have to pay a premium, but trust me, you will sleep a lot better knowing the exact condition of the book. I have been burned multiple times trying to hunt for that unslabbed STEAL only to realize that the book was graded incorrectly.

Comic Link, Metropolis and Newkadia, and mycomicsupply are pretty reliable...

You can always tell your girlfriend what I tell my wife (advice I got from a fellow board member): "at least the comic books will always be worth something someday, whether they double or halve in money. but I can always go down to the local bar and buy a bunch of drinks that won't be worth anything in the morning."

And what do we tell our spouses/girlfriends if we want to spend $500 on a comic book -- and also go down to the local bar and buy a bunch of drinks in celebration thereof? lol

Thanks man!!!! (thumbs u and I do agree with this re-evaluation as it can absolutely be a volatile market....Dont spend what you dont have right!!!!

By the way I HONESTLY can say the exact thing about your Sig Line!!!!!!! Awesome DUDE!!!!!!!!! :applause: