• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Comic Con report during.

160 posts in this topic

Ok, here's my mini-report but lots of pics (because I know you all enjoy seeing what I take at the cons cause I aim to please) :acclaim:

What can I say. This thing gets busier and busier every single time.

Friday was the busiest Friday I've ever seen for this convention and this is definitely the premier event. I would rather see these guys cut this show down to one show a year (rather than doing a Sci-Fi show and a Fan Days show) and move to the Dallas Convention Center which is now I believe the largest column free convention center in the country (or very close).

Much like the "Dallas" Cowboys, this is called the Dallas Comic Con but takes place in Irving. Of course, the Cowboys now play in Arlington, but I digress. :P

Every dealer I spoke with, every artist, everyone seemed to have a great and busy weekend. They never release numbers for these things of course but there had to be 30,000+ there just on Saturday.

The primary problem with this con is that it is still run as if it's a small con. Meaning, it's still the promoters and their family members handling the primary duties with a small event staff and a bunch of under-trained volunteers.

With the size that this thing has become (which Dallas once had the 3rd largest show in the country believe it or not) there's no reason they can't really go big-time and bring in top quality dealers.

This facility, yet again, is just not big enough for this convention.

Ok, that's all I have to say about that, it's still a popular show, I didn't hear a lot of super big complaints, people like Romita, Jr. and Steranko got people through their lines reasonably quick (if Steranko can be considered quick) and I seem to have a new best friend in David Spurlock which I won't completely go into other than he is a huge fan of my photography.

On with the pictures!

Here's my model friend Sarah who I hired for promo work. If you want to see "more" of Sarah, she is on my Flickr site wearing considerably less.

All these shots will be straight out of the camera and simply resized, no other edits.

8755024517_ca452c145e_z.jpg

Dallas-Comic-Con-2 by DWShoots, on Flickr

8756146436_3eee7e2d98_z.jpg

Dallas-Comic-Con-1 by DWShoots, on Flickr

Ok, so the day has started here and I was outside smoking before everyone comes in and this is all I have to say:

Natasha Henstridge, yoga pants. :cloud9:

Still touring based on her Species films? I guess it pays the bills.

I thought she was great in "The Whole Nine Yards" with John McClaine, Chandler Bing and Amanda Peet.