• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BWS' Red Nails gets Artist's Edition treatment

46 posts in this topic

There is a lot less extra material than we were initially led to believe, because those 59 pages will be printed one-sided like "real" OA. So, those 59 pages will take up 118 pages, with the remaining 18 or so pages being for the bonus material.

It's a steep price, but, given what will probably be a fairly small print run, I suspect that they won't exactly be raking it in on this book. 2c

If IDW published it the book would only be 35 pages long (both sides). For the $150 price IDW AEs would give you over 100 pages more at the same price. Will stick with IDW more bang for the buck.

Guys...this is Red Nails we're talking about.....you know, the same story that everyone has been salivating to see in the Artist's Edition format since the format was created. I would imagine that no one will have any chance at owning a page of this story anytime soon so, given all of this, ask yourself, is the $150 price tag really worth sweating over???

As (future) demand increases in the secondary market, what people see as today's high price will be tomorrow's bargain.

I'm sure if we all knew that it would go up in value, we would all buy it. But not everything goes up!

Malvin

As (future) demand increases in the secondary market, what people see as today's high price will be tomorrow's bargain.

I'm sure if we all knew that it would go up in value, we would all buy it. But not everything goes up!

Malvin

Absolutely not, Malvin!

If this is a one-off printing, in a small print run, my instincts tell me that it's very likely to rise in value in the secondary market - once all copies are snapped-up and it becomes out of print.

Just something to consider if you want the book now, but are put off by the (current) price.

Personally, I'd buy the book for what it is, rather than for any potential investment purpose.

Just an opinion . . .

It is overpriced. No doubt about it, but who knows what they had to pay to get the license.

Beyond that, if I don't buy it now, will I ever get to look at those pages? It's one of my three favorite stories about Conan (Red Nails, Frost Giant's Daughter, and Conan 23/24 (the 1st appearance of Red Sonja).

Malvin

Absolutely not, Malvin!

If this is a one-off printing, in a small print run, my instincts tell me that it's very likely to rise in value in the secondary market - once all copies are snapped-up and it becomes out of print.

Just something to consider if you want the book now, but are put off by the (current) price.

Personally, I'd buy the book for what it is, rather than for any potential investment purpose.

Just an opinion . . .

Is there any information on the actual print run? (shrug)

Malvin

Absolutely not, Malvin!

Just an opinion . . .

Is there any information on the actual print run? (shrug)

Not that I'm aware of, but as a one-time-only printing (which is stipulated), with a hefty price-tag, I can't see this book being printed in high amounts.

I got to flip through this at the Genesis West booth at Comic Con. The quality of the paper and cover stock seemed similar to that of IDW's Artist Editions. It will fit in your Artist Edition collection nicely. It comes in a slip case. I believe the image shown in the first post of this thread is the cover of that slip case (but I could be wrong, it was a long con). There was no table of contents that I could find in my quick flip through. The bonus materials seemed pretty scant, but lets be honest, anyone buying this has bonus material consideration as an afterthought.

The real down-side to this book is (and I think someone mentioned this previously in this thread), when opening the book to read the story the art is only printed on the right-hand page. The left page says "Page 113 Artwork" (or something like that) and then has one small, centered panel underneath it depicting a highlight (usually a character's face) which is featured on the right hand page. I thought I had taken a picture but i can't find it now amid the millions of costume pics I took.

Yes, I would much rather pay the $75 this book is worth and should cost, but I'll be honest: I immediately sent my LCS an email to order one of these. The Genesis West guys said they would ship in late August.

Not sure how you can not buy this book...if you have the disposable income.

Got my copy signed by Roy Thomas at SDCC - what was amazing is they had a selection of the originals (not for sale) just sitting in plastic standing frames around the table.