• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hello Everyone posted by deathbed75

14 posts in this topic

New on the board

I' ve been with CGC for two years now and I've never bothered, to write on the chatboard or journals. Mainly because I'm more of a novice collector not serously entrenched in the hobby. I love collecting comics mostly raw I send them into CGC sometimes they come back with the grade I want some times not. At that point I lose money on the resale value. Because we all know some comics everybody wants that 9.6 or 9.8 especially for the monderns. As far as im concerned though I don' t think I' ll be sendingin any more comics to CGC in the near future. Its too expensive of a hobby now a days. What I love the most is reading about the true hobbiest... you guys. I love the journals more than anything there very special lets me know that im not the only comic nerd out there thanks to all

See more journals by deathbed75

But keep collecting books your gut tells you to buy....in 25 to 30 years...who knows...a profit might arise. I just wish sometimes I could go back to 1939 and buy some rack books for a few years....or 1963....fun times

Welcome DB75,

The journals are a great place to discuss and showcase comic book collections and things related to comics.

You'll encounter a lot of collectors (nerds, geeks, fanboys, what have you... like myself) who are very passionate, and are quick to share ideas, opinions and feedback.

I for one like to read the journals and can be very critical of what's posted.

Even though you may be a novice... I still want to know what you read, collect, and cherish.

Losing money can be tough... and we all can't get 9.8's... that's impossible... but don't let it stop you from enjoying collecting and using the CGC.

Question: What does your nickname mean? Just curious.

SW3D

In my book; a true collector does not go out and look for 9.6 and 9.8 books. I'm always happy to find the book in one piece and not falling all to pieces. Luck sometimes comes my way and find certain books in awesome shape...but not always.

Plenty of 'true collectors' that want their books in high grade. Nothing wrong with that. (if you can afford it). Looking for high grade does not not make you a collector.

True collectors don't tell other collectors how to collect, homeboy.

And people who collect low grade books are just as much collectors as the high grade studs.

I had a vision of diving into a swimming pool filled with old comics the other day. If you have not had that fantasy..then you are not a collector. Fact.

I had a vision of diving into a swimming pool filled with old comics the other day. If you have not had that fantasy..then you are not a collector. Fact.

My brother does the same thing, but the pool is filled with Hostess Ding Dongs.

If you love comics, then it doesn't matter what format you collect them in. A high grade CGC collector is no more important than a poor grade raw collector.

What matters is your love of the hobby and avid accumulation of the books, regardless of their condition.

Feel free to post journals and chats about anything, including raw issues. The "true collector" will show interest in your input regardless of what you are posting about.

I for one always look forward to reading and seeing what all of the other members of the Collector's Society have to say.

If you love comics, then it doesn't matter what format you collect them in. A high grade CGC collector is no more important than a poor grade raw collector.

What matters is your love of the hobby and avid accumulation of the books, regardless of their condition.

Feel free to post journals and chats about anything, including raw issues. The "true collector" will show interest in your input regardless of what you are posting about.

I for one always look forward to reading and seeing what all of the other members of the Collector's Society have to say.

+1 :applause:

Hey DB

I too am new to CGC, a novice and I am in my 2nd year here. And in a years time I manage to assemble a nice size collection of CGC graded comics, primarily Amazing Spider-Man. Yes it does get expensive, but every hobby does once you begin to dwell deeper into it. Don't let it discourage you.

You like raw books, so do I as well as everyone else. The fun and exciting thing about this hobby is the quest for that missing issue you want badly.

Happy Hunting

Enjoy getting what you get. My focus has been mostly raw books. But I've been submitting books slowly sine 2007. I'm slowly changing my focus to cgc more since I can submit directly now. But the size or depth of your collection doesnt matter as long as you're having fun and learning.

Welcome to the journals! I love all the responses that have been shared so far and I echo them. Be yourself, have fun, and continue to share your story with us. Comics are a blast to collect in any condition,,and most collectors here are very encouraging. :)