• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage? Ebay sniping? --2 questions

34 posts in this topic

An example of a bidding war gone out of hand:

AMAZING SPIDERMAN #122 CGC 9.2 wESTERN PENN

$651.22 FEB-10-02

Western PA or not, this was about double its market value, and about $150 over the current 9.4 price. Insane.

Matt, although I do not use it, this type of software allows the bidder to pre-set a maximum price to bid at a certain time. Usually, the time is variable but could be set to for example 10 seconds before the end of the auction. I have seen some software spit out 3 bids in 3 seconds on some of my auctions! Don't know which one it is but it seemed interesting! smile.gif

With sniping software you can automatically get the bid in at, quite literally, the very last second, preventing somebody from topping your bid by closing them out. If there is an item you REALLY want, put in your "maximum" bid into the sniping software, and, unless the other person is ALSO sniping, you will be able to have the high bid.

Like Donut just said, it increases your chances of winning an auction. Also, if you bid your max right away, you become more susceptible to shill bidding attempts or some of youre enemies bidding you up! wink.gif

Here's the story for why you should always snipe your auctions:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=2152765054

I won this using AuctionSniper.com, thanks to Rickdogg who turned me on to the site.

Take a look at "dougphilmsn.com". Do you see his 4 bids? Let's assume (and I know that the auction would never end just like this, but stay with me) that it was just "doug" and "domain society". "Domainsociety" had a higher bid with $74 bucks, but "doug" kept on bidding from 55 to 60 to 62. Had "domain" been the winner with his high bid of $74 and if it were only between "domain" and "doug", domain would have only paid $56 (the next increment up from 55) rather than 63 (the next increment up from 62). By having a bid out there and staying exposed, you allow thrill bidders like "doug" to jack up the price. In my example, domain could have sniped it out from doug and saved himself $7. Not a huge dollar amount, but you see the point of sniping.

To go back to the auction, you can see that there were two snipes - one by myself and one by "explicitmagazines". Notice that explict became the high bidder with a 5 cent increment when the auction was already at $200. I am not sure how the auctionsniper can do this, but without it you would have to bid in $2.50 increments.

DAM

I don't know that that's the case here..it looks like the guy who bid 200.05 was bidding from a lower #..so it is probably the auction was at 175 or something and he bid 200.05, .05 more then that other guys max bid..so he's the high bidder by .05..in that case increments aren't necessary it's only if say it's at 200 currently, then you'd have to bid at least 202 or whatever the min is.

Brian

I've been in a lot of situations where the following has happened because I used to be on dial-up and could not properly snipe:

A given book is at $230 with 45 seconds to go. When I was on dial-up, I had to put in a bid no later than 40 seconds incase the connection slowed for some reason. So with 45 seconds remaining, I put in a high bid of $305. It processes and I'm the high bidder with 30 seconds still left to go on the auction. The person I outbid is also waiting in the wings, and decides to wait until the last 5 seconds to place a massive bid. With my connection, I can't win fast enough, even if I'm willing to go higher than my $305. But if I was able to wait until the last 5 seconds, I could likely have taken it for $305 by beating him out using the clock instead of $$$$.

That exact situation has happened to me many times when I was on dial-up. Proxy bidding, in my experience, just dosen't work unless you put in an insane amount.