• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four 1 CGC 9.4 slight (A)

46 posts in this topic

hmm, you might be right. I definitely think there's reason to be pessimistic on the price. It's so hard to judge though, it's not a book that's up for sale everyday.

Slight restoration includes: very small amount of color touch on cover; staples replaced; top & right edge trimmed.

Slight? screwy.gif

I would agree.

Trimming and staple replacement are kinda strong for "slight" restro.

What if if the staples were vintage though, from another FF1...? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

From the auction:

I have owned this sweetheart for a while. Bought it on Ebay as a VF/NM, unrestored. A couple fellow collectors have seen it and all thought it was much better than that.

What's his face sold a raw FF 1 graded as 9.0 on eBay about a year ago I think!

Another victim!? 893whatthe.gifforeheadslap.gif

OMG 893whatthe.gif How much did they trim of that RHS, it looks like the took an inch! That is soo bad, how anyone can even think to bid almost $8k is beyond me foreheadslap.gif

Two forms of 'resto' (If they can be called that!) that cannot be reversed, staple replacement, and trimming 893frustrated.gif What a ruination of a good book (which was probably still in an 8. range to beging with)!

WTF is the problem with staple replacement? I can understand trimming being a problem to people, but if anyone wants to put new staples in their $100K+ books and sell them to me for $10K, I'll take all they've got. thumbsup2.gif

I'm not a Marvel man, but an FF1 is desirable even to me. I know there are a few people on these boards with incredibly deep pockets who could happily afford a blue label NM. I'm sure that most of us though could never actually dream of that and to own a book like this is a pretty good substitute if it really only sells for about 10% of the universal price.

Staple replacement and trimming are not at all similar. Staple replacement, while not reversible can help to extend the life of a book. It's not just cosmetic. Rusty staples, given enough time, will start to destroy the surrounding paper.

Trimming, by it's very nature is destructive from word one and adds nothing positive to the equation.