• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst comics within the last 5 years

134 posts in this topic

everything out on DC and Marvel last 15-20 years

Pretty narrow minded view to be honest. I can only assume that you've read every DC and Marvel book over the last 20 years to form that opinion (shrug)

What I do is read the DC and Marvel titles that are supposed to be ZOMGAMAZING. Like with the new 52 I read Batman because Scott Snyder has been ballyhoo-ed like he's the 2nd coming. I thought Batman was pretty mess so there's no need for me to try anything else from the new 52.

:idea:

It's fair enough to criticise a title that you've recently read and didn't like but to criticise the entire line of two companies because you've tried a couple of titles is pretty silly.

You may not like anything they produce but just generalising for the sake of it isn't particularly productive.

I agree. Just because a book doesn't have an image logo or isn't an independent indie comic doesn't make it bad. Mark Waids Daredevil was fantastic and is one of many that spring to mind.

It's popular to bash the big two and some do it without reading ANY titles. It'd be exactly the same if I was to say all Image comics are rubbish after reading one or two titles.

It's got nothing to do with a book having an Image logo on it or not. Also, if you were to read a couple of Image titles and then say you didn't like Image comics that *would* be silly because there is so so much variety at Image. The same can't be said for DC and Marvel so if you aren't a fan of those kinds of superhero stories then you can easily avoid an entire line of comics and not lose out. Besides, I disliked DC and Marvel before it was cool to dislike DC and Marvel (thumbs u

DC, through their Vertigo line, has a large amount of titles that don't feature superheroes and which are easily as good as their Image counterparts.

Really? I didn't know that :o

Obviously I was talking about DC's main line of comics. Same with Marvel. I got into comics through Vertigo, so I have a lot of love for loads of Vertigo books, but to be fair, that line is dying now because most people who would have wanted to get published on Vertigo 10+ years ago are going to Image now and occasionally others like Dark Horse, Boom and Oni. Vertigo is almost dead compared to what it used to be.

lol you really are showing your ignorance. That's a huge generalization

not trying to be productive here, just opinions. if you had read most of their best title, and they still suck. no reason to go read all the other ones. you can like marvel and DC if you want, like we cares. but we don't that is end. tried many times on their books, all their book is going no where.

I'm glad that you mentioned "the new 52 ". that ("the new 52 ") is totally r etard. I hate every time they restart the book.

???

One book isn't a good indicator of any of the other comic's quality, or your chance of liking a title, BY FAR. Both companies have 20-50 different writers or more at any given time (with varrying styles, quality of writting, etc.), and each title has it's own tone, subject matter, etc. (be it all super hero or not).

Sample size is WAY too low. This is learned in most science or stats classes.

That would be like saying, "well, I tried the Avengers, therefore I won't like Deadpool, X-Factor, Gambit, Hawkeye, Uncanny X-Force, etc etc. Each book is different, some suck, some are awesome, etc etc."

Or, "I read Scott Snyder, therefore I won't like Peter David, Daniel Way, Bendis, Hickman, etc etc.

Some suck, some are awesome. etc etc.

The worst comics to me are when Marvel and DC decides to end a legacy series just to rejuvenate sales (short term greedy marketing) by releasing a #1 First Issue instead of continuing the series. It's especially insulting to the collectors when they decide to resume the numbering later on. It's usually with characters who have multiple titles like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man or X-Men, so the publishers never really had to end the titles like The Uncanny X-Men.

Even if the #1 releases have great stories and new writers/artists, those issues could have been a part of the ongoing series and not jettisoned to a #1 issue, similar to how "The Dark Phoenix Saga" was part of the ongoing Uncanny X-Men series as a story arc within the series and the fact it wasn't a mini-series nor even marketed with fanfare such as a "Fear Itself", "Dark Reign" etc. but stood on it's own merit proves good storytelling and artwork trumps marketing every time.

If the companies want a #1 First Issue, just add another title to their plethora of monthly titles, but they should have left the foundation titles with a firm legacy alone, and if anything assign the top writers/artists to that title to maintain the quality rather than dilute it across so many titles.

It's funny because if someone said they don't like vampire books or romantic chick-lit books they wouldn't be met with such opposition.

Not true. It's fine to say you don't like superhero books but it's a different thing to say you don't like a certain publisher.

It's funny because if someone said they don't like vampire books or romantic chick-lit books they wouldn't be met with such opposition.

For me, it's just not having enough of a sample size to make a judgement. Not liking whole subject matter would be a different story all together.

For me, some vampire stuff is awesome, some I have no interest in whatsoever.

(30 Days of Night vs Twilight)

For chick-lit, the subject matter doesn't interest me, so whether it's well written or not, I probably wouldn't pick any of it up. Although, if I did end up reading a good one, I may enjoy it or may not.

Not true. It's fine to say you don't like superhero books but it's a different thing to say you don't like a certain publisher.

(thumbs u

The worst comics to me are when Marvel and DC decides to end a legacy series just to rejuvenate sales (short term greedy marketing) by releasing a #1 First Issue instead of continuing the series. It's especially insulting to the collectors when they decide to resume the numbering later on. It's usually with characters who have multiple titles like Batman, Superman, Spider-Man or X-Men, so the publishers never really had to end the titles like The Uncanny X-Men.

Even if the #1 releases have great stories and new writers/artists, those issues could have been a part of the ongoing series and not jettisoned to a #1 issue, similar to how "The Dark Phoenix Saga" was part of the ongoing Uncanny X-Men series as a story arc within the series and the fact it wasn't a mini-series nor even marketed with fanfare such as a "Fear Itself", "Dark Reign" etc. but stood on it's own merit proves good storytelling and artwork trumps marketing every time.

(thumbs u

I find this is the difference between Marvel and Image/Vertigo/Dark Horse/Boom/etc.

Marvel (don't read DC, so not sure if this holds for them) will start off a reboot, new series, etc, and it will be really good right out of the gate, pretty awesome, etc. Great art, great writing. Then the series will start to falter after 12-24 issues (sometimes even after 6-8 issues). They'll change the writer or whole creative team. Maybe a few issues aren't bad, but pretty soon it's nothing like how it started, maybe it's good in a different way, maybe not. Possibly through another creative change in there, and it's game over. Series starts sucking, then it's either cancelled or rebooted. It's like after they hit so many issues, the series becomes old news, get's put to the back burner, and that's it.

(one exception would be X-Factor. Peter David for the long run. You know what you're getting with X-Factor, he's able to build his stories long-term, etc.)

With the other publishers, I find a lot of them start off so-so/sort of interesting (some may have a strong first issue), and then they either start to get VERY strong after 6-12 issues (as the story gets fleshed out), or they die after 4-8 issues (story is not interesting/going nowhere). With this, I find the good series stick around, and the crappy ones get dropped (with some exceptions).

And there's not the problem of the reboot because it's dead anyway.

Also, most creative teams stay very consistant with these companies. You don't have the revolving door here. (ONE of the reasons Walking Dead became so good is it's consistancy).

(thumbs u

(ONE of the reasons Walking Dead became so good is it's consistancy).

I think once The Walking Dead series spawns "solo adventures", brings back deceased characters, and releases "before the Zombie Apocalypse" stories (as flashbacks is okay, but not as stand alone titles) generating new titles to exploit the brand is the day it's jumped the proverbial shark, as Marvel has done with all of their characters, diluting the quality and spreading 'em too thin without focus.

(thumbs u

I think once The Walking Dead series spawns "solo adventures", brings back deceased characters, and releases "before the Zombie Apocalypse" stories (as flashbacks is okay, but not as stand alone titles) generating new titles to exploit the brand is the day it's jumped the proverbial shark, as Marvel has done with all of their characters, diluting the quality and spreading 'em too thin without focus.

have you read #108? that was one of the single worst issues i've read in the past 5 years

(thumbs u

have you read #108? that was one of the single worst issues i've read in the past 5 years

Have you read #110 yet?? Puts it more into perspective.

What was it that you didn't like? Just curious.

(thumbs u

1-If a spinoff was done well, then I think it could work. But ya, I would limit it for sure. Don't have it just for the sake of making another comic.

Obviously bringing back dead characters would be goofy. I think I'd actually like a Before the ZA series though.

2-The problem with Marvel I find, is that out of the spin-offs, and other titles, they keep this balance where just enough of them are good to decent that it's enjoyable reading some of them, but that you never can tell which ones will be great, good, decent, junk, etc. So to those who try most series, or a lot of them, it's hit and miss. A lot of times too, things that don't seem like they'll be great end up being awesome, and stuff with a lot of promise ends up sucking.

2a- OR, you never know which series they'll pull the 'ol switcheroo on, so then you end up with creative teams you don't like/junky ones, etc.

I think I'd actually like a Before the ZA series though.

Have never heard that one suggested before but it's the first TWD based spinoff (or even storyline breakaway idea) that I have liked in a while. Some completely non-zombie related character stories could go down really well.