• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

John Romita Jr.'s legacy

92 posts in this topic

After the last few lively discussions about Miller, Buscema and Mcfarlane I wonder where you guys put Romita Jr. I think he's one of the best modern pencilers, but like buscema has as more basic approach and done so much work that the very best stuff seems to be few and far between. For me, with the exception of his early 90's return to Uncanny X-men his work has always been accessible and while it was the flashier artists who got me really excited about comics, it was guys like John Buscema and John Romita Jr that held my interest. A lot of people find his work too boxy and ugly but I've always been impressed at how he used that structure to create a lot of raw power in his work and the way he tells a story. Nobody really considers John a true artist like Jack Kirby, Barry Windsor smith or Frank Miller and he was never a commercial powerhouse like Todd Mcfarlane or John Byrne but I think his contribution to Marvel comics was immense.

Any thought?

After the last few lively discussions about Miller, Buscema and Mcfarlane I wonder where you guys put Romita Jr. I think he's one of the best modern artists, but like buscema has as more basic approach and done so much work that the very best stuff seems to be few and far between. For me, with the exception of his early 90's return to Uncanny X-men his work has always been accessible and while it was the flashier artists who got me really excited about comics, it was guys like John Buscema and John Romita Jr that held my interest. A lot of people find his work too boxy and ugly but I've always been impressed at how he used that structure to create a lot of raw power in his work and the way he tells a story. Nobody really considers John an artist like Barry Windsor smith or Frank Miller, he was never a commercial powerhouse like Todd Mcfarlane or John Byrne but I think his contribution to Marvel comics was immense.

Any thought?

I love Romita Jr. I really want a splash for one of the Spiderman issues. I was praying to get the one on CLINK but it wasn't meant to be.

Well you have guys at the top like Miller, Byrne and Neal Adams, then you have guys at the bottom like Mark Bagley and Erik Larsen, then there is 60 feet of garbage, then there is John Romita Jr.

Well you have guys at the top like Miller, Byrne and Neal Adams, then you have guys at the bottom like Mark Bagley and Erik Larsen, then there is 60 feet of garbage, then there is John Romita Jr.

:facepalm:

You're entitled to your opinion, what about his work makes you feel that way?

I know some folks see a recent piece of his, or a particularly bad example and forget that there are, literally, hundreds of quality examples over the last 30 years from some of the more memorable runs in comics.

I know some folks see a recent piece of his, or a particularly bad example and forget that there are, literally, hundreds of quality examples over the last 30 years from some of the more memorable runs in comics.

I go to CAF to remind myself, whenever I am about to go all Kevin76 up in this piece.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: Oh, wait. You're serious????:o

I loved what he did on ASM and X-Men in the 1980's. Huge fan of that stuff.

I think JRJR is hit and miss.

His 1st run on Uncanny X-Men was great. His 2nd run when he tried to be Jim Lee-ish was horrible (the 290's-early 300's)

I loved what he did on ASM and X-Men in the 1980's. Huge fan of that stuff.

I think JRJR is hit and miss.

His 1st run on Uncanny X-Men was great. His 2nd run when he tried to be Jim Lee-ish was horrible (the 290's-early 300's)

I think that second uncanny run was horrific yet that same look worked very well on Punisher warzone...go figure.

After the last few lively discussions about Miller, Buscema and Mcfarlane I wonder where you guys put Romita Jr. I think he's one of the best modern pencilers, but like buscema has as more basic approach and done so much work that the very best stuff seems to be few and far between. For me, with the exception of his early 90's return to Uncanny X-men his work has always been accessible and while it was the flashier artists who got me really excited about comics, it was guys like John Buscema and John Romita Jr that held my interest. A lot of people find his work too boxy and ugly but I've always been impressed at how he used that structure to create a lot of raw power in his work and the way he tells a story. Nobody really considers John a true artist like Jack Kirby, Barry Windsor smith or Frank Miller and he was never a commercial powerhouse like Todd Mcfarlane or John Byrne but I think his contribution to Marvel comics was immense.

Any thought?

Interesting to me to compare Buscema to JRJR since I love and admire JB and actively try and not look at JRJR's work. I look at his art and say to myself if this guys name wasn't John Romita Jr he would be teaching art in an elementary school somewhere. Not trying to offend, I just don't see it. The comparison is even worse when comparing to JRSR.

Any thought?

Interesting to me to compare Buscema to JRJR since I love and admire JB and actively try and not look at JRJR's work. I look at his art and say to myself if this guys name wasn't John Romita Jr he would be teaching art in an elementary school somewhere. Not trying to offend, I just don't see it. The comparison is even worse when comparing to JRSR.

I didn't compare him to John buscema in this thread although I see a lot of similarities to JB in how they approach certain things. JR/JR has a completely different aesthetic than his father

It's hard to critique something you actively avoid though. Check out CAF, look for stuff inked by Al Williamson. then check out some newer stuff like X-men vs. Avengers.You may not like it, but I think it's good to at least have some fresh images in your mind before ripping an artist to shreds based on memory. Try not to actively seek out stuff you didn't like because he's had such a long prolific career.

Any thought?

I didn't compare him to John buscema in this thread although I see a lot of similarities to JB in how they approach certain things. JR/JR has a completely different aesthetic than his father

It's hard to critique something you actively avoid though. Check out CAF, look for stuff inked by Al Williamson. then check out some newer stuff like X-men vs. Avengers.You may not like it, but I think it's good to at least have some fresh images in your mind before ripping an artist to shreds based on memory. Try not to actively seek out stuff you didn't like because he's had such a long prolific career.

Just to add from my last post... his AvX art was painful to look at... Bad layouts, horrible anatomy, action was jacked looking... some of the worst art i've ever seen on a major crossover for marvel.

Copiel saved that series....

Any thought?

Just to add from my last post... his AvX art was painful to look at... Bad layouts, horrible anatomy, action was jacked looking... some of the worst art i've ever seen on a major crossover for marvel.

Copiel saved that series....

I didn't like his Xvs A stuff either but ti's the most recent thing I'm aware of besides kick 3.

http://www.comicartfans.com/SearchResult.asp

I think John Romita Jr.'s art suffered a bit of devolution to a degree when his style changed, I liked his early 1980's Amazing Spider-Man more so than his later Spider-Man work. I think his pinnacle work as early in his rookie years with Iron Man when teamed up with Bob Layton.

I do think his Kick and some of his other work was good in debt to being tied to some really good writers and stories, otherwise his artwork the past 2 decades has been to me, a tad lackluster and although with a distinct style, not necessarily my cup of tea compared to his earlier work which I really liked.

I think he probably was trying to build his own identity away from Jr. Sr., so changed his style, but to me detrimentally so.

His legacy however is certainly solid, being associated with, again, some really good writers and stories, so in many cases the artwork became the background the for foreground of the writing.

I think his pinnacle work as early in his rookie years with Iron Man when teamed up with Bob Layton.

I agree that I think that was his best era. Looking back though, I wonder how much of that was Bob's inking.

After a few issues of JRJR taking over from Paul Smith on Uncanny X-Men, my younger self wrote to Marvel begging them to put Smith back on the title. Over the years, nostalgia has trumped that initial reaction, to the extent that I now rather like his work on the first X-Men run, ASM and Iron Man. Unfortunately, I think those were the high points of his career, and I certainly wouldn't call them "great" or "classic" - "good" or "very good" would suffice and be a fair assessment I think.

I haven't really enjoyed much of his later work, unfortunately. I thought his style worked well on Bruce Jones' Hulk run in the early-to-mid 2000s (though the Deodato pencilled issues were far better), and some of his other work I didn't mind too much. However, most of his '90s and '00s work was just plain awful. There was one issue of ASM in the 2000s featuring a J. Michael Straczynski story (after a strong start, JMS soon became a laughable parody of himself) and JRJR art that I described at the time as having the worst art ever created for a Marvel comic book. It pretty much put me off all three (ASM, JMS and JRJR) going forward from there. I don't remember what issue it was, but it I believe it had a scene where Dr. Doom went through airport security. If you have it, check out the art and tell me I'm wrong. Nothing short of wretched. :sick:

Bob Layton's inking probably redefined JR JR's pencils, and that's why Bob Layton is better known as the artist of Iron Man.

Bob Layton is a better penciler and a better inker than JR JR is as an artist in my opinion.

JR JR's art isn't necessarily horrible, but I do think in part the fandom behind his work is largely due to his status of being the offspring of a legacy JR SR, and his favored son status with Marvel being assigned to high profile books and good writers/stories because of his name more than his talent.

I think his pinnacle work as early in his rookie years with Iron Man when teamed up with Bob Layton.

I agree that I think that was his best era. Looking back though, I wonder how much of that was Bob's inking.