• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brand new eBayer purchased a $200 book, should I be concerned?

24 posts in this topic

You would think some of the suggestions are for a $2,000 book rather than a $200 book.

I sell to low feedback and newbie buyers regularly. There is no point in doing anything special for a sub $250 domestic order. Over $250, sure, get signature confirmation, if you want to protect yourself from scammers.

If you are paying for insurance regularly on these types of orders you are losing a ton of money as you could easily self-insure and be significantly ahead.

You would think some of the suggestions are for a $2,000 book rather than a $200 book.

I sell to low feedback and newbie buyers regularly. There is no point in doing anything special for a sub $250 domestic order. Over $250, sure, get signature confirmation, if you want to protect yourself from scammers.

If you are paying for insurance regularly on these types of orders you are losing a ton of money as you could easily self-insure and be significantly ahead.

+1

I usually add a disclosure in my listings that says that users with 0 feedback contact me prior to ordering and in the event that they dont (and trust me, they wont), simply send them a message and infrom them of your policy. Not to suggest that a scammer will scam you otherwise, but it does help to sense if they're trouble judging from the buyer's response. I had an eBayer that created a new account just to buy a $500 lot from me, and that was AFTER she inquired to get a better deal from her other account. It smelled like scam all over that transaction but after I've asked her a few questions she wrote me a very lengthy email telling me that she created the account just to buy it as a bday present for her husband and since he normally checks her account she didnt want him to pick up on it. Worked just fine!

The 2-3 partial refunds I had this year actually came from users with a high feedback score that I'd never suspect try to scam me. So I lost 20-30 bucks in the process, big deal