• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brand new eBayer purchased a $200 book, should I be concerned?

24 posts in this topic

No....everyone has to start somewhere.

I'd be more concerned that you label a $200 book as "high dollar"

:jokealert:

lol

High dollar in terms of more than I'd like to lose in a scam.

For $2, add signature confirmation. If I recall correctly, it adds another layer of protection for delivery.

If you are concerned about the buyer ripping you off claiming that you "didn't send anything in the box" (another common scam), go to the post office and buy postage at the counter so the box is weighed by a postal employee.

These aren't bulletproof ways to protect yourself, but they can help. I had someone try the old "you sent an empty box" thing on me before.

For $2, add signature confirmation. If I recall correctly, it adds another layer of protection for delivery.

If you are concerned about the buyer ripping you off claiming that you "didn't send anything in the box" (another common scam), go to the post office and buy postage at the counter so the box is weighed by a postal employee.

These aren't bulletproof ways to protect yourself, but they can help. I had someone try the old "you sent an empty box" thing on me before.

Good advice. The sig confirmation is a must for seller protection. If I cannot afford to lose the value of the item, I always pay the $2.20 for signature.

Weighing the package is also a good idea. If you wanted to take it one step further, you can pack the item at the post office and have the postal employee sign a document that stated that you did, in fact, mail a comic.

If you do this, you look paranoid though...

I guess I'm most concerned about the "empty box" scam or a "item not as described" scam where they return an empty box or switch the contents with a lower grade copy.

Anything over $200 I automatically add Signature confirmation.

Even if you buy postage online to save a bit they still weigh the package when you take it inside when they scan the tracking number into the system. This protects them from you buying postage for 1 lb and then shipping 3 lbs, but also documents that the package had weight.

I'll mail it out today, insured with signature confirmation, and hope for the best.

If the package is sent insured, it needs to be signed for - so there's no need to buy both insurance and signature confirmation.

I'll mail it out today, insured with signature confirmation, and hope for the best.

If the package is sent insured, it needs to be signed for - so there's no need to buy both insurance and signature confirmation.

I could be wrong, but I think that only applies for insured items over $250. I know I've received items insured for less that I didn't have to sign for.

While I would take the same precautions, the person may have never had a reason to use ebay before. Is the item rare? Maybe they just reached a certain age, or their situation improved.

On a related note, can someone insist on money order payments for new users?

I guess I'm most concerned about the "empty box" scam or a "item not as described" scam where they return an empty box or switch the contents with a lower grade copy.

Anything over $200 I automatically add Signature confirmation.

If by chance they send it back, open the package in the Post Office in front of the individual.

While I would take the same precautions, the person may have never had a reason to use ebay before. Is the item rare? Maybe they just reached a certain age, or their situation improved.

On a related note, can someone insist on money order payments for new users?

It's a hard-to-find Absolute Edition. I'm pretty sure mine was the only one on eBay.

I could be wrong, but I think that only applies for insured items over $250. I know I've received items insured for less that I didn't have to sign for.

You're right. You can insure an item without Sig. Confirmation.

Good advice. The sig confirmation is a must for seller protection. If I cannot afford to lose the value of the item, I always pay the $2.20 for signature.

Weighing the package is also a good idea. If you wanted to take it one step further, you can pack the item at the post office and have the postal employee sign a document that stated that you did, in fact, mail a comic.

If you do this, you look paranoid though...

...and you make it known (to some) that there is an insured comic book in the box.

Good luck. :)