• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Western comics

25 posts in this topic

Do any of the western comics stay in the west?

I want to start reading one but, I dont want the character or characters to end up in the modern day or going back and forth or end up with modern weapons.

I just want a true old west type of comic.

I hope that makes sense.

Sixth Gun is great, I've only read about 5 issues of American Vampire but I ALWAYS mean to read more but never do. American Vampire is a great western.

Jonah Hex (2005 2nd Series, 70 issues) was the best one-and-done series of its day and an old-school Western to boot. Don't let the crummy movie scare you away. DC had to ruin this title by rebooting it as "All-Star Western," which is nothing like Hex.

Sixth Gun is great, I've only read about 5 issues of American Vampire but I ALWAYS mean to read more but never do. American Vampire is a great western.

The canvas of American Vampire expands very quickly beyond the American West as the story follows Skinner Sweet (and his "sirings") through time. By the time the story took a hiatus with issue 33 (?), the story takes place in the 1950's so the Old West background doesn't last that long.

Jonah Hex (2005 2nd Series, 70 issues) was the best one-and-done series of its day and an old-school Western to boot. Don't let the crummy movie scare you away. DC had to ruin this title by rebooting it as "All-Star Western," which is nothing like Hex.

So Jonah Hex stays in the old west in this series?

He never ends up fighting zombies or wielding a machine gun or anything goffy like that dose he?

I'd heard good things about All Star Western though...?

He never ends up fighting zombies or wielding a machine gun or anything goffy like that dose he?

No zombies or machine guns! I wasn't a fan of Hex's encounter with Edison in #22, but even that one stuck to the west and the 19th century. I was really sad to see this series end.

I like it. Not really in the west, just 19th century Gotham.

I checked out a couple of issues after the relaunch. I just didn't like Hex in Gotham or the continuing story line. It made me long for the more concentrated storytelling of its predecessor.

Also, with Hex in the NuDC proper, they feel compelled crossing him over with other DC characters. Whereas historical characters of the Old Gotham is OK, Vandal Savage or Booster Gold :doh: is a little much ...

I like it. Not really in the west, just 19th century Gotham.

"Our Weekly Longbox" is a podcast I listen to from time to time. They say a lot of good things about it. I've been tempted to pick up the first trade and check it out.

No zombies or machine guns! I wasn't a fan of Hex's encounter with Edison in #22, but even that one stuck to the west and the 19th century. I was really sad to see this series end.

So if I start with the 2nd series will I be totally lost with his history or will I be able to follow right along pretty well. I really know nothing about the character at this point.

You don't need to know a thing about Jonah Hex to enjoy this reboot. In fact, it's probably best if you come into the 2nd series fresh. You'll eventually get his origin story in one of the title's few arcs. If you like Westerns, you'll love this!

:applause:

Pretty Deadly looks amazing! It seems to have been delayed but I think it will be well worth the wait. I'd rather have some quality read than some rushed mumbo jumbo so I'm glad they decided to hold off until the time is right.