• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Date Stamps

41 posts in this topic

So why do signatures get a Qualified grade and date stamps do not? Or am I starting to ask cosmic questions that cannot be answered by mere mortals? grin.gif

Signatures get qualified grades because CGC can't authenticate a signature unless a CGC employee was present when the book was signed. For date stamps, this is not a concern because date stamps don't need to be authenticated in the same way that a creator autograph does.

Also, the date stamp isn't considered a defect in 9.9 or below (per OSGG) if it is small and inconspicuous, so there is no need to use a "qualified grade" for a date stamp.

So why do signatures get a Qualified grade and date stamps do not? Or am I starting to ask cosmic questions that cannot be answered by mere mortals? grin.gif

Signatures get qualified grades because CGC can't authenticate a signature unless a CGC employee was present when the book was signed. For date stamps, this is not a concern because date stamps don't need to be authenticated in the same way that a creator autograph does.

Also, the date stamp isn't considered a defect in 9.9 or below (per OSGG) if it is small and inconspicuous, so there is no need to use a "qualified grade" for a date stamp.

And the signature is not part of the production/distribution process associated with the book, whereas the date stamp is.

I like date stamps. Now those humongous one covering a key piece of art I confess to doing without. But overall they are usually - usually - OK? grin.gif neatly applied and I like the sense of history they give.

But weird thing? I would rather have my BA Horror without them. but I actually LIKE them on my GA horror.

It is, I think, because going back to the GA anything that gives a bit of history is desireable.

I recently had my Showcase #56 up on eBay. GREAT cover, with a very neat date stamp on the back cover. I set the opening bid at 2.25 guide, with no reserve, and it failed to sell. I can only conclude that date stamps definitely reduce the number of potential buyers for a book.

The book is now back on my site, priced at 3xguide, which is about what I expected the book to go for on eBay. And no, it's not stil available for the lower price...

showcase56.jpg