• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection just in - Pictures and a story

131 posts in this topic

Well the owner only has another 30 books and not of the same caliber. But he does have some other interesting stuff. His grandfather was a professional photographer who took pictures in South Africa during the Boer war. And a large collection of UK cigarette cards.

So no 700 book collection but still better than I expected from the beginning.

The odds of a collection purchase going smoothly and without any kind of glitch are pretty close to zero.

Yes, most definitely. Just seems like a high number to throw out there when all you have is 50 comics.

I suppose those "other boxes" either never existed or are long gone.

With permission from ft I will tell my latest buying story:

I answered a CL ad where a guy was selling a large amount of drek in a storage unit. I went to look at it just for the heck of it. Among the roughly 10K books, there was not one mainstream title, or any book that is worthy of discussion. Nice guy though.

After some discussion and small talk, he invites me over to the house where he keeps the good stuff.

Lo and behold, he has a 40 year collection of this and that, maybe 20 short boxes. I made him an offer on a box of SA ASM and he said he needed to think about whether he wanted to sell at all.

We parted friends and he got back to me the next day and said he was ready. He actually preferred that I cherry pick the collection because he enjoyed owning qty. I walked out with two short boxes. Below is the best of what I got, which will go into my collection, The rest will be on sale here in the near future. Also got a mid grade IM55 that I forgot to include.

IMG_0424_zpsb1ea83f2.jpg

I answered a CL ad where a guy was selling a large amount of drek in a storage unit. I went to look at it just for the heck of it. Among the roughly 10K books, there was not one mainstream title, or any book that is worthy of discussion. Nice guy though.

After some discussion and small talk, he invites me over to the house where he keeps the good stuff.

Lo and behold, he has a 40 year collection of this and that, maybe 20 short boxes. I made him an offer on a box of SA ASM and he said he needed to think about whether he wanted to sell at all.

We parted friends and he got back to me the next day and said he was ready. He actually preferred that I cherry pick the collection because he enjoyed owning qty. I walked out with two short boxes. Below is the best of what I got, which will go into my collection, The rest will be on sale here in the near future. Also got a mid grade IM55 that I forgot to include.

IMG_0424_zpsb1ea83f2.jpg

Good story and good comics. Hope it was worth the slog through a storage locker of krap. ;)

Every time I see a post like this -- or in the Garage Sale thread -- I immediately jump on Craigslist and take a look. Then all I see are ads for Spider-Man 2099 and comic cards, and I lose hope.

IMG_0424_zpsb1ea83f2.jpg

Good story and good comics. Hope it was worth the slog through a storage locker of krap. ;)

Every time I see a post like this -- or in the Garage Sale thread -- I immediately jump on Craigslist and take a look. Then all I see are ads for Spider-Man 2099 and comic cards, and I lose hope.

very nice pick up :)

I received a phone call, guy left a message. He has collection of comics from the 50s to 60s that he may auction off but figured he'd give me a call first.

Of course the phone number he left instantly goes to the message "I'm sorry but the phone number you're calling hasn't been set up yet. Goodbye."

We can only wonder.

I got a call a few weeks ago about a guy who wanted to sell me some GA books from the 40's.

After wasting about 20 mins of my time, he says to me "Aw, I think I'll just give them away" and hangs up.

There are lots of pranksters out there.

I agree I hate when people get your hopes up like that

I don't even get my hopes up.

I deal with Detective #27 and AF #15 claims like they're Spawn #1's.

It literally happens all the time. I probably get 3 or 4 hits a year like that.

lol so how do you tell the real claims from the fake ones?

lol so how do you tell the real claims from the fake ones?

You have to play them out to their conclusion but when it's time to finally see the books they either fade away or disappear quickly.

I have to say, I've been right nearly every time I've gotten contacted. I'll whisper to Louise or make a mental note that it's a bluff and it turns out that it usually is.

I started a thread about it a couple of months ago.